PDA

View Full Version : Planar Bound Minions

Osiris
2014-02-14, 03:52 PM
I have a wizard who can't be too OP because the rest of the party isn't. I'm limiting myself to one lesser Planar Bound minion. What are some good ideas for a utility minion, not a combat one?I tried this in the 3.5 Q&A but that's for facts not opinions. Trying in new thread.

Crake
2014-02-14, 04:50 PM
I have a wizard who can't be too OP because the rest of the party isn't. I'm limiting myself to one lesser Planar Bound minion. What are some good ideas for a utility minion, not a combat one?I tried this in the 3.5 Q&A but that's for facts not opinions. Trying in new thread.

I'm gonna suggest succubus, simply because they're great all-around tools. Only problem is how your DM would run demons for you, since planar bound minions aren't really under your complete control. If you want something less problematic, a Movanic Deva (from fiend folio) can be pretty useful with their plethora of SLAs, including raise dead 1/day.

Coidzor
2014-02-14, 05:40 PM
Well, the main thing is that you don't normally keep one around 24/7, I had thought.

So you'd be getting them as they actually provided utility.

Lesser Planar Bound Lantern Archons for creating a bunch of eternal torches or lighting a city or providing illumination for your new lair/dungeon/fortress/hideout/base and that sort of thing.

A Stellar Deva (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20001101a)might be interesting, especially an Emprix, since it'd potentially give some abilities to one of the other party members that they wouldn't otherwise have access to. Some minor tweaking is necessary, but offhand all I see is converting the DR/+1 to DR/Magic.

Rubik
2014-02-14, 06:11 PM
A nightmare. You can ride it for transportation, but just look at its special abilities.

How many HD does a dwarven ancestor have? Crafting FTW.

Coidzor
2014-02-14, 07:18 PM
A nightmare. You can ride it for transportation, but just look at its special abilities.

How many HD does a dwarven ancestor have? Crafting FTW.

Ho, yez. :smallamused:

5 HD, I think. (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060704a&page=3) (Edit: No crafting as far as I can see though. Midgard Dwarves, IIRC, have 8 Outsider HD, putting them just out of range of lesser planar binding it seems.)