PDA

View Full Version : Please Don't Sue, Mr. Burlew

Thunt
2007-01-29, 02:41 AM
Today I updated Goblins, took a shower, came back to the computer to kick my son off of World of Warcraft and read the comments about whether or not my latest update was being well received.

All of a sudden I was reading about how OotS had also made a Paladins detect sarcasm joke very similar to the one I had just made.

(To make this story a bit more interesting to those of you who might be getting bored, I will henceforth add deadly ninjas to my tale. The ninjas are fictional, but the rest of what I'm describing actually happened.)

"That can't be" I thought as ninjas suddenly burst through my windows and started to swing strange, exotic weapons at me. "I read OotS and I don't remember any paladin/sarcasm gags".

Several ninjas leaped at me with amazing accuracy, but I managed to spring out of my chair, grab one of them by the ankles and swing him around like some sort of black masked flail. With my new, living weapon, I knocked half a dozen of the attackers to the ground.

Seeing that I had a second or two as the rest of the ninjas swarmed at me, I quickly sat back down at my computer and read more of my Goblins thread. I soon realized that this paladin joke was in the latest OotS strip.

"Aha, that explains it. I haven't read the latest strip yet!" After bonking two ninja's heads together like comical coconuts, I clicked over to OotS and read the update. Then, ducking to allow two throwing stars, thrown by two ninjas who were foolishly facing each other, to pass over my dexterous form and fatally strike one another, I realized that a bizarre coincidence had taken place.

In the same week, Rich and I had made very similar jokes.

So this is just a note to let Rich and the good folks over here in the OotS neighborhood know that I didn't mean to repeat the Paladin/sarcasm bit. Purely accidental. Hope I didn't step on anyone's toes.

OotS rocks.

Oh, and the rest of the ninjas... um... went home.

Ulrich_Brew
2007-01-29, 02:46 AM
I believe this to be true. Ninjas are very inept.

The Orange Zergling
2007-01-29, 02:47 AM
Come to think of it, I didn't even catch the "Detect Sarcasm" in the latest OOTS... I probably did, but I don't recall it. *shrug*

EDIT: Re-read and caught it.

Demented
2007-01-29, 03:15 AM
I may not be Mr. Burlew, but I loved your ninjas all the same. The rhyme was a bonus as well.

As far as the topic at hand, what some may consider an ill-fated coincidence, I find to be a brilliant juncture.

Edit:
On an unrelated note, has anyone seen my a**? I seem to have lost it while laughing....

ElfLad
2007-01-29, 03:20 AM
I had "Detect Sarcasm!" as my Custom Title a while back before the board change. I'm sure it's probably been made by other people long before I did it, and probably longer before you and Rich did. Not a big deal.

Erk
2007-01-29, 03:26 AM
Damn ninjas are always trying to stop me from getting on the train on time. It's a hazard of living in Japan.

They usually fail.

anyway, thanks for alerting me to the goblins update. Watch out for Lawyer Ninjas, they are more dangerous than the regular kind. Briefcases are surprisingly effective bludgeons, and gawd, the papercuts!

Edit: also, I don't think it is really the same joke, just a similar basis :)

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-29, 04:34 AM
Ah, I see the ninjas fell victim to the Inverse Ninja Law. :smallamused:

Khantalas
2007-01-29, 04:39 AM
Goblins rocks! Thought it needs more Dies and Kore.

faerwain
2007-01-29, 08:01 AM
:smallbiggrin: This thread was like an extra comic:smallbiggrin: Great.
These ninjas seem to be a real pest. I think I should now write a petition to the parliament to tighten the border controls, searching closer for tourists bringing masked assasins with them. (Good day, Sir. Do you carry any pets, vegetables or historical secret agents with you?)

Btw, I do really enjoy Goblins, it's one of the few I read regularly. It's both intelligent and entertaining, although it gives you a guilt trip as a player.:smallwink:

Krytha
2007-01-29, 08:32 AM
Now, if there were only one ninja, what would you have done?

Setra
2007-01-29, 08:34 AM
Goblins rocks! Thought it needs more Dies and Kore.

I agree, except replace Kore with Ears. He is my second favorite Paladin, just below Cecil.

although
2007-01-29, 10:50 AM
When I saw the line in today's Goblins comic, I just thought "Thunt's doing a shout-out to Rich. He must have liked OOTS #406 a lot too."

I doubt Rich would be deeply offended either way...but now that I know you two came up with the same joke independently, it's even funnier.

Jewel Thief
2007-01-29, 10:53 AM
Destiny.

It's destiny.

Snake-Aes
2007-01-29, 11:01 AM
Now, if there were only one ninja, what would you have done?
I'd much likely have an absurdly hard time, Inverse Ninja Laws, you know.

Ego Slayer
2007-01-29, 11:05 AM
I must give you kudos for the hilarity which ensued the arrival of those ninjas.:smallbiggrin:

Erai
2007-01-29, 11:14 AM
Come to think of it, I didn't even catch the "Detect Sarcasm" in the latest OOTS... I probably did, but I don't recall it. *shrug*

Ah, put some points in Detect Detect Sarcasm I see :smallwink:

Megalomaniac2
2007-01-29, 11:49 AM
Dammit, how come Rich never fights ninjas???

And yeah, I wouldn't worry about doing the same jokes. Goblins and OOTS are both Dungeons and Dragons comics, so it's inevitable that they're going to cover similar territory. And even if Rich does start something, you could always point out that your psycho-paladin came before his psycho-paladin, and has much more armour to boot.

Solara
2007-01-29, 11:54 AM

Well, I think Miko going psycho took most of the spotlight, and the last panel was such an 'OMGWTF' moment that I think you can be forgiven for forgetting any jokes before it.

Ooh, and it just occurred to me that instead of sitting here obsessively clicking refresh, now would be a great time to catch up on Goblins - I've been forcing myself to stop reading for the couple of months. (Thunt, man, I love your comic, but the 'once a week' thing just kills me. I know the updates are always huge, but still, having characters I love routinely put in horrible danger and then having to wait so long to find out what happens to them is just not good for my sanity.) But it's cool because now I can read it all in one big chunk. :smallsmile:

Also, the ninjas rocked but it would have been much cooler if you were writing that post from a ship that was being attacked by pirates. :smalltongue:

The Giant
2007-01-29, 12:04 PM
So...my ninjas have been defeated.

You win this round, Thunt! But we'll be back...when you least expect it.

Haruki-kun
2007-01-29, 01:06 PM
I believe this to be true. Ninjas are very inept.

Ninja's Rock.

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-29, 01:22 PM

Your mistake, Mr. Burlew, was sending more than one. :smallbiggrin:

Green Bean
2007-01-29, 02:02 PM
Ninja's Rock.

This is where you're confused. A ninja rocks. Many ninjas are so weak a ninety year old grandmother could carve through them with a rusty butter knife.

The inverse ninja law.
Knowing is Half the Battle!
G.I. Joe!

Bobbis
2007-01-29, 02:11 PM
*begins chanting "cross over" repeatedly*

Rama_Lei
2007-01-29, 04:03 PM
*begins chanting "cross over" repeatedly* Or maybe a guest strip?

DreadSpoon
2007-01-29, 04:16 PM
If you actually saw them, they weren't really ninjas. ;)

BardicLasher
2007-01-29, 08:16 PM

I would be entirely in favor of that, mostly just to see the Order drawn Goblins-style and the Goblins drawn as sticks.

That, or seeing Sabine flirt with Not-Walter.

agentx42
2007-01-29, 08:19 PM
It's too late, Thunt. Mssrs. Jones and Rodriguez are on their way...

Megalomaniac2
2007-01-29, 08:33 PM
I would be entirely in favor of that, mostly just to see the Order drawn Goblins-style and the Goblins drawn as sticks.

That, or seeing Sabine flirt with Not-Walter.

Screw that, the forbidden sexual tension between Kore and Miko would be through the roof!

Lord Magtok
2007-01-29, 08:36 PM

So The Giant is a ninja too? Rich, I recommend staying as far away from other ninjas as possible due to the Inverse Ninja Law.

Setra
2007-01-29, 08:41 PM

With Samurai next time!

*chants with you, gets several Clerics and Paladins to pray to their gods as well*

TinSoldier
2007-01-29, 11:12 PM
But see, while OotS has had ninjas, there have never been any ninjas in Goblins.

Well, there was Baka who thought he was a ninja but he was really just a confused samurai.

Never mind...

:biggrin:

Setra
2007-01-29, 11:15 PM
But see, while OotS has had ninjas, there have never been any ninjas in Goblins.

Well, there was Baka who thought he was a ninja but he was really just a confused samurai.

Never mind...

:biggrin:

Baka's Player is probably some sort of Otaku/Japanophile.

TinSoldier
2007-01-29, 11:42 PM
Baka's Player is probably some sort of Otaku/Japanophile.Nah, 'cause then he would have known the difference!

Reference comic. (http://goblinscomic.com/d/20060507.html)

Setra
2007-01-29, 11:44 PM
Nah, 'cause then he would have known the difference!

Reference comic. (http://goblinscomic.com/d/20060507.html)

Not necessairly, a lot of Otaku/Japanophiles pretend to know everything about Japan, and take all the information they can from watching subbed anime.

For instance, he could hear the word Baka in anime often, and think it could be used as a name.

Or he could be a 12 year old.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-29, 11:54 PM

HAHAHAHAAHAHA

Oh man... the post about the ninjas was funny enough, but the reply...

Sheer genius guys, sheer genius. Yeah, I actually just started reading Goblins, but I'm loving it. Still loving OOTS too.

Whoa, crazy thought... what if you two collaborated on something? Then it would be like awesome in a can.

Mr Teufel
2007-01-30, 12:01 AM
*joins the chanting*
"Cross-over,cross-over, cross-over, cross-over, cross-over, cross-over, cross-over..."

Wiione
2007-01-30, 12:03 AM
Not necessairly, a lot of Otaku/Japanophiles pretend to know everything about Japan, and take all the information they can from watching subbed anime.

For instance, he could hear the word Baka in anime often, and think it could be used as a name.

Or he could be a 12 year old.

Most people I know knew the difference when they were 12.

NovaNightmare
2007-01-30, 12:20 AM
I found the paladin sarcasm jokes especially funny, considering they where each respectively in my favorite two web comics!

Yay! Ninjas!!!

Mr._Wilson
2007-01-30, 12:48 AM
Giant should have sent Pirates.

Pirates > Ninjas.

What, someone had to say it. :tongue:

ElfLad
2007-01-30, 01:34 AM
Smite Plagiarism!

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-30, 01:55 AM
Were they Law-Ninja?

Demented
2007-01-30, 02:08 AM
Most people I know knew the difference when they were 12.

Most of them. And "Baka" isn't exactly the brightest of lightbulbs, if his name didn't ironically suggest that enough.

Erk
2007-01-30, 08:41 AM
The inverse ninja law would not come into effect if Rich attacked in person. He would be the only Master Ninja, and as such would not be affected no matter how many lackeys he had. If he was attacking along with several other major d&d-based webcomic artist ninjas, THEN the law would have effect.

Jeeze, it's like they don't even teach basic physics in schools these days.

Drascin
2007-01-30, 09:37 AM
xDDD. Loving it, Thunt. Nice tale. I'll join the chants of cross-over, too.

Though, now that I think of it, it is hard to belive someone as efficient as the Giant would forget the Inverse Ninja law... hummm...Wait! I get it! :smalleek: Thunt, watch out! It must be a tr...! *Beep. The communication has been interrupted. Please stand by*

(Blood can be seen trickling from where Drascin was sitting a moment ago)

elliott20
2007-01-30, 09:46 AM

You should have just sent one ninja. We all know that when there's only one enemy, the guy is extra deadly.

or better yet, you should have sent a group of 12 year olds armed with nothing but their pure, noble hearts and stars in their eyes. their succulent, delicious, throbbing hearts.... *drools*

Evil_Pacifist
2007-01-30, 09:49 AM
Great minds think alike.

Thunt
2007-01-31, 07:35 PM

Bring it on, Stick man!

I'll be waiting. Oh yes, I'll be waiting when you least expect it. :smallcool:

Flabbicus
2007-01-31, 07:44 PM
Heh, funnily enough I thought it was mighty odd when I checked the Goblins site and saw "Detect Sarcasm."

Now only Chris Hastings has to join for the unholy triangle to be complete.

J_Muller
2007-01-31, 08:00 PM
Your mistake, Mr. Burlew, was sending more than one. :smallbiggrin:

Inverse Ninja Law FTW.

ThorWarriorX
2007-01-31, 09:13 PM
Does someone mind to explain where was the sarcasm (In which speech, comic, etc), the ninjas, and what the baator has a ninja to do with a pirate? Yes, I'm 13 years old, I'm Brazillian, and I don't get a bread slice about these "funny internet stuff". (Though I'm surprised I didn't see the sarcasm here !)

Rama_Lei
2007-01-31, 09:21 PM
Does someone mind to explain where was the sarcasm (In which speech, comic, etc), the ninjas, and what the baator has a ninja to do with a pirate? Yes, I'm 13 years old, I'm Brazillian, and I don't get a bread slice about these "funny internet stuff". (Though I'm surprised I didn't see the sarcasm here !)
405, Shojo's speech is laden with sarcasm, especially when asking Belkar. Ninjas are just a huge topic to blab about on forums and a debate over ninjas vs. pirates has existed for a while. And explain that bread slice comment?

ThorWarriorX
2007-01-31, 09:35 PM
Way of speech. Like "I don't know a grain of sand about"...

Get it? But about the #405, thanks, I'll re-read that... My memory is only perfect for year-old events, not days-old =)

Mr. Moon
2007-01-31, 09:47 PM
*grins* The OP gave me a great idea for a comic of my own. I hope the OP'er doesn't mind if I steal it. I promise, I'll post it later!

Oh, by the way, could someone post the link to Goblins, please? Thanks in advance.

EmeraldFire
2007-01-31, 09:48 PM
http://www.goblinscomic.com/

Wiione
2007-03-22, 02:24 AM

(Joins chanting)

Thanatos
2007-03-22, 04:41 AM
Ninja's Rock.
Apostrophe-S is possessive, not plural, and anyway, the plural of ninja is ninja... they are like sheep.

Knowing is Half the Battle!

...and killing people is the other half.

You win this round, Thunt! But we'll be back...when you least expect it.I'd watch out for the pirates, though. You could instead attack with robots, but then he might counter with monkeys...

Ninja vs. Pirate, Monkey vs. Robot... next thing you know, it'll be Dinosaur vs. Zombie.

Bring it on, Stick man!

I'll be waiting. Oh yes, I'll be waiting when you least expect it. :smallcool:With pirates.

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-22, 04:49 AM
http://www.libriumarcana.com/Uploads/Rogue/Pictures/JPEGs/OldNews.jpg

BisectedBrioche
2007-03-22, 07:43 AM
Thank my abiguous god I live in Britain where the ninjas are inept and noisy. Spies on the other hand....