PDA

View Full Version : Spirited Charge + Riding Boots critical damage?

Theomniadept
2014-02-14, 06:51 PM
A lance does double damage when charging. With the Spirited Charge feat this is triple damage. On a critical, a lance does triple damage.

The Rider's Boots (MIC 121) says that on a critical hit a lance does x4 damage as opposed to x3

How does this damage stack up? I would assume to keep damage in normal vicinity of sanity, a critical on a lance while charging (only those two factors) would be a total x4 damage as opposed to x8. The reason I bring this up is because with Spirited Charge and Riding Boots the critical hit would do x6 damage as opposed to a massive x12.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-02-14, 06:59 PM
Boots make lance critical for 4x. Spirited charge makes the damage triple. A spirited charge crit is 12x. Enjoy.

Metahuman1
2014-02-14, 07:02 PM
And when you add Shock Trooper and a two handed grip for 2-1 PA exchange with out lowering your too-hit bonus and 1.5 Str mod, anything not immune to a crit is very likely gone.

Nirhael
2014-02-14, 07:07 PM
Well D&D doesn't let you stack multiplicative modifiers, I'd say x6 is more likely than x12.

Theomniadept
2014-02-14, 07:07 PM
I kinda wanna stick to the x6 only because I don't want to have my character sheet burnt when I critical at a higher level.

Also, we don't talk about charging pouncing supreme power attacking leap attacking shock troopering frenzied berserkers.

GameSpawn
2014-02-14, 09:50 PM
It's x6; the explanation is in the "General Guidelines and Glossary" section of the PHB (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/DnD_PH_Glossary_GG.asp) (pg. 304):

When two or more multipliers apply, however, combine them into a single multiple, with each extra multiple adding 1 less than its value to the first multiple. Thus, a double (´2) and a double (´2) applied to the same number results in a triple (´3, because 2+1=3).

Diarmuid
2014-02-14, 10:26 PM
I'm sure there's something stupidly simple that I'm missing, but while mounted on the horse...how does one mechanically "charge"?

The horse is doing all the movement, at no point are you doing any of the following:

Charging is a special full-round action that allows you to move up to twice your speed and attack during the action. However, it carries tight restrictions on how you can move.
Movement During a Charge

You must move before your attack, not after. You must move at least 10 feet (2 squares) and may move up to double your speed directly toward the designated opponent.

i know this is being intentionally thick and RAW heavy, but I was just curious if I'm the only one who sees this.

TuggyNE
2014-02-14, 10:56 PM
I'm sure there's something stupidly simple that I'm missing, but while mounted on the horse...how does one mechanically "charge"?

The horse is doing all the movement, at no point are you doing any of the following:

i know this is being intentionally thick and RAW heavy, but I was just curious if I'm the only one who sees this.

If your mount charges, you also take the AC penalty associated with a charge. If you make an attack at the end of the charge, you receive the bonus gained from the charge. When charging on horseback, you deal double damage with a lance.

As usual, the rules are scattered about in weird places.

Mandark
2014-02-27, 04:09 AM
Presuming a war trained mount, you charge like normal, you attack with lance. If your mount has a for attack, like the brixshalla (races of the wild), then declare that your mount is making the charge, rider passes a dc 10 ride check and then gets two attacks from one charge.

Just wondering where I can find the riding boots?

Lanaya
2014-02-27, 04:13 AM
Boots make lance critical for 4x. Spirited charge makes the damage triple. A spirited charge crit is 12x. Enjoy.

No, applying two multipliers to your damage adds them together, so 4x plus 3x equals 6x damage. Essentially, 4x damage means "add 300% of your base damage" and 3x means "add 200% of your base damage".

Firechanter
2014-02-27, 05:42 AM
Combine with a Valorous lance for another +100% base damage.

The problem here is rather that Crits are very unreliable. Half of the Bestiary is immune, and anyway Crits tend to _never_ come when you need them. Your chance is just 5%, or 10% with Improved Crit or Keen; then if you crit it's often overkill and there are no extra points for dealing 500 damage to a 100hp creature.
--> For something like a Mounted Charger build, I wouldn't even bother spending any ressources on Crits. That might be different if Lances had a larger base threat range.

(And also note that in most games, as a PC you won't be able to even use your mount about 90% of the time.)

Fouredged Sword
2014-02-27, 07:47 AM
Yeah, but you need to be a cleric 6 / Fighter 1 / PRC paladin X who uses Surge of Fortune to pull a crit on demand. Get your lance as set with a greater truedeath crystal, and go to town smashing undead beneath your mount's hooves.

Cog
2014-02-27, 07:49 AM
(And also note that in most games, as a PC you won't be able to even use your mount about 90% of the time.)
Unless you consider the situation ahead of time. Small characters with Medium mounts, playing up the wildman vibe so town guards are less likely to mess with you if you aren't actually causing trouble, that sort of thing.