PDA

View Full Version : archer build help

kbpb90
2014-02-14, 07:57 PM
As it says I'm looking for help building an archer, I want to be able to get as many attacks as I possibly can, I don't really care about sneak attack, or the extra d6's from precise strike or whatever its called, it would be awesome if I could get those on top but there not my main goal, so if any one has any ideas, any help would be great

Yorrin
2014-02-14, 08:09 PM
The best advice I can give you for an archer is the Swift Hunter build (Scout 4/Ranger 16). There is, in fact, an entire handbook for it: here. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=0i18jqpj6t87t4v0iamf2tkdp7&topic=103.0)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-02-14, 08:29 PM
Archery Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=642.0) for general advice.

Wild Elf (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elf.htm#wildElf), good/exalted alignment, no specific deity, Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) 5/ Ruathar (RotW) 1/ Seeker of the Misty Isle (CD) 1/ Paragnostic Apostle (CC) 2/ Contemplative (CD) 10
Start with the Elf (SC) and War domains, pick up Travel, Spell (SC), and Destiny (RoD) from prestige classes. Trade your free Knowledge domain for Knowledge Devotion (CC). Paragnostic Apostle abilities are Mind Over Matter and Spatial Awareness.
Two flaws: Murky-Eyed and Noncombatant (www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm#murkyEyed)
Feats: Otherworldly (PGtF, F), Weapon Focus: Longbow (D), Point-Blank Shot (D), Knowledge Devotion (CC, D), Extend Spell (F), Persistent Spell (CA, 1), Divine Metamagic: Persistent Spell (CD, 3), Precise Shot (6), Rapid Shot (9), Woodland Archer (RotW, 12), Manyshot (15), Improved Rapid Shot (CW, 18)

You want to be exalted to be able to cast Sanctified spells (RAW only requires a good alignment, not an exalted status, but be exalted to be safe) such as Elation and (Greater) Luminous Armor from BoED. You can use DMM: Persistent with Blessed Aim (SC), Elation (BoED), Mass Lesser Vigor (SC), Divine Power, and Righteous Wrath of the Faithful (SC). Once you get the Spell domain you'll be able to use DMM: Persistent with Anyspell: Shield and Greater Anyspell: Draconic Polymorph from the Draconomicon to turn into an Arrow Demon in MM3 thanks to Otherworldly. Get a Reliquary Holy Symbol (MIC) and a pile of Night Sticks (LM) to have sufficient Turn Undead uses for all of those. The Destiny domain gets you Choose Destiny, which you can also use DMM: Persist with.

Get a standard Strand of Prayer Beads that's had the Bead of Smiting removed, it only costs 9,000 gp per DMG pricing. Also pick up a few Lesser Metamagic Rods of Extend. Be sure to use the Bead of Karma before casting Magic Vestment on your armor and shield effects, and Greater Magic Weapon on your bows (an Arrow Demon can use two).

At level 11, you'll have the following stats:
AC 38 (+11 armor, +7 shield, +5 Dex, +5 natural)
Str 37, Dex 21, Con 31
Two +3 Composite Longbows, Rapid Shot, Righteous Wrath, Symmetrical Archery, Divine Power: +20/+20/+20/+20/+20/+20/+15/+15/+10/+10, 1d8+16, 20/x3
Average 205 damage per round if every attack hits, not counting critical hits.
If both of those bows have the Splitting property (CoR), every shot will fire two arrows. Make them Energy Bows (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a) if you want, the energy property should cost +14,200 gp on top of a +2 masterwork composite longbow, so adding Splitting would be +42,000 gp.

By around level 13 plan to have a 6th level Pearl of Power and a standard Metamagic Rod of Extend Spell. Every other day prepare Energy Immunity (SC) twice, cast it three times using the pearl and use the rod on all three so they last 48 hours. On the days in between, prepare Energy Immunity and Superior Resistance (SC) each once, cast both of those and use the pearl to cast Energy Immunity a second time, again using the rod on all three so they last 48 hours. This gives you constant immunity to all five energy types and a +6 resistance bonus to your saves, for the cost of those two items and two 6th level spell slots per day.

kbpb90
2014-02-14, 10:54 PM
Sorry forgot to mention this, always do, playing an evil campaign, lvl 10 with 7 lvls of templates

kbpb90
2014-02-14, 11:12 PM
The best advice I can give you for an archer is the Swift Hunter build (Scout 4/Ranger 16). There is, in fact, an entire handbook for it: here. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=0i18jqpj6t87t4v0iamf2tkdp7&topic=103.0)

Thanks for showing me this, its really great

Forrestfire
2014-02-14, 11:19 PM
For a level 10 archer with 7 free LA, I'd go dip one level of Shiba Protector (Oriental Adventures) and spend the LA on templates to increase your wisdom. The first-level ability lets you add your Wisdom mod to attack and damage rolls as an untyped bonus on top of everything else. Picking up Zen Archery also lets you use your wisdom modifier instead of your dexterity for attack rolls, as well.

kbpb90
2014-02-14, 11:43 PM
For a level 10 archer with 7 free LA, I'd go dip one level of Shiba Protector (Oriental Adventures) and spend the LA on templates to increase your wisdom. The first-level ability lets you add your Wisdom mod to attack and damage rolls as an untyped bonus on top of everything else. Picking up Zen Archery also lets you use your wisdom modifier instead of your dexterity for attack rolls, as well.

Well the good thing is, if I do take shiba protector it adds it to its attack AND damage, so I wouldn't even need Zen archery

Grod_The_Giant
2014-02-14, 11:53 PM
Well the good thing is, if I do take shiba protector it adds it to its attack AND damage, so I wouldn't even need Zen archery
Or you can take the feat and get Wis to attack twice.

Yorrin
2014-02-15, 12:06 AM
Thanks for showing me this, its really great

You're quite welcome. It's considered the standard against which other non-caster archery builds are measured around here, and it's quite a good one. I'm sure with that many templates you can take the concept to some scary places, though sadly I'm the wrong guy to ask about templates.

Forrestfire
2014-02-15, 12:40 AM
Hrm... If being as silly as possible with race combinations, I think that one of the better builds you could do might be...

Note: Shiba Protector normally

Race: Half-Fey (+2) Phrenic (+2) Half-Nymph (+2) Dark (+1) Human
Class: Scout 4/Targeteer Drow Fighter 1/Martial Monk 2/Ranger 2/Shiba Protector 1, filling in more Ranger levels probably

Targeteer Fighter, found in Dragon Magazine #310, can trade a bonus feat for the ability to add its Dex mod to damage on ranged attacks instead of any Str mod that could be applied. Drow of the Underdark has a variant fighter that swaps heavy armor proficiency (iirc) for the ability to add your Dex mod to damage against flat-footed enemies.

Your total ability score modifiers, after the templates, are +4 Dex, -2 Con, +4 Int, +6 Wis, +12 Cha.

Picking up Zen Archery means that your attack bonus is 7 (BAB) + Wis mod twice + any bonuses, and your damage is [dice] + Wis mod + Dex mod. You'll probably also want to pick up the Travel Devotion feat, for swift action movement to trigger Skirmish.

The templates give you Hide in Plain Sight and a large pile of Spell- and Psi- like abilities, along with a ton of movement speed (Dark adds +10 to all modes, and Half-Fey gives you a (Good) fly speed equal to double your land speed).

Martial Monk gives you two fighter bonus feats, which you technically don't need the prerequisites for, but I suggest being sane with them unless your DM is on board with it. It also gives you your Wis bonus to AC, which is good.

If you've got 3000gp to spare, see if you can visit the Otyugh Hole to get Iron Will without having to take it.

If you can convince your DM to waive the Human racial requirement for Shiba Protector, then changing your base race to an Anthropomorphic Bat gives you another +6 Wisdom.

For gear, look at picking up a bow with the Splitting enhancement, which doubles each of your attacks.

Eldariel
2014-02-15, 05:31 AM
Barbarian with Whirling Frenzy gets you extra attack. Warblade with "Dancing Mongoose" gets you another one. Targetteer Fighter gets 2 more. That's +4 attacks without Haste. I'd start with Barb 1/Fighter 1/Warblade 8 tho in few levels, mebbe Ranger 2/Barb 1/Fighter 1/Warblade 6 would be superior.

Firechanter
2014-02-15, 09:41 AM
If you're thinking long-term and plan to play level 20, be an Elf and become an Eternal Blade. Downside is you get Navi as class feature, but on level 20 you can nova for ~44 arrows in one round, without Arrow Demon shenanigans.