PDA

View Full Version : Generic Spellcaster Question

HereBeMonsters
2014-02-14, 09:59 PM
Ok so I know the class

Here (http://dndtools.eu/classes/spellcaster/)it is if you need it.

Now I know in UA they say you can trade feats for class features right?
Even here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm)it says if the DM allows it you can trade for different features.

So it says Bonus Feats but all feats beyond the first are technically bonus feats as in they are additional feats. What if your player asked to trade say three feats for 1 class feature? Would you?

I was curious if this seemed out of control. Trading the Bonus Feat, 3rd Feat, and 6th feat for say the Spirit Shaman's spell refreshing class feature? Would that be fair? After all its 3 feats to pay for a class feature.

ngilop
2014-02-14, 10:20 PM
The feats you get at every 3rd level are NOT bonus feats.

Im not sure whay you refer to them as such. Its very very precise on what bonus feast are; feats labeled as BONUS FEATS in the class table. I mean by your definition wouldn;t everything ever be a bonus feat? kinda screwy to the nth degree in my opinion.

that being said. I see nothing wrong at all about letting the player trade out their first level BONUS FEAT for the spirit shaman ability.

Urpriest
2014-02-14, 11:18 PM
The class says specifically what they can trade their bonus feats for. Are you asking a question about balance, or about the rules?

HereBeMonsters
2014-02-15, 09:22 AM
As I pointed out there is a section at the bottom which says its DM's decision.

And to be clear so all who read this don't misunderstand. When I say Spirit Shaman's spellcasting ability.
I mean their spells known per day retrevial system (sending off for the spells each day), Spells known per day (The amount), and Spells per day (The amount of each spell of that level cast per day.) But not their spell list.

EDIT: If that is to much maybe this.
I was thinking maybe to do it into tiers.
1rst level bonus feat trade it off for the Spirit Shaman ability w/ Druid spell list only.
5th level bonus adds the cleric spell list.
10th adds the wizard spell list.
15th adds the remaining spell lists.

ngilop
2014-02-15, 12:10 PM
Yeah, giving a class entire spell lists for a feat is a bit too much.

Congratilations you just somehow made the most powerful of spell casting classes who literally get 'cast everyspell ever' as their sole ability, and with power, versatility and openenss like that.. who needs bonus feast anyways?

Ruethgar
2014-02-15, 01:01 PM
Yeah, giving a class entire spell lists for a feat is a bit too much.

Congratilations you just somehow made the most powerful of spell casting classes who literally get 'cast everyspell ever' as their sole ability, and with power, versatility and openenss like that.. who needs bonus feast anyways?

Generic spellcasters already can cast spells from the Druid, Wizard, and Cleric spell lists. He is proposing delaying access to spell lists in exchange for the spirit shaman ability and asking if it seems balanced.

I think one feat sacrificed would suffice for their spells per day and retrieval system. Doesn't seem too powerful, just gives a little flexibility.

However, I personally would say that the generic caster spell list, no matter the alterations, should be limited to one of the generic caster's choosing, either druid, or cleric, or, wizard etc. But that is just me thinking from a balance PoV as generic spellcasters are already extremely powerful. I would probably also lower them to bard spell progression.

HereBeMonsters
2014-02-15, 04:54 PM
You mean 1-6?

But yes you nailed what I wanted to do exactly delay the effects so you must 'master' a spell list to move on. 5 levels as just a druid spell caster, 5 levels with access to Cleric, then move onto Wizard spells.

But yes Generic Spellcasters are very powerful. But they are meant to be in games where no one else is using classes like Wizard or Cleric. They are just 'The Magic User'

But yeah trading a feat for their spell casting system and their druid only spell list to start for one of the bonus feats. Some might say Sneak Attack progression in exchange for a Feat is also unbalanced, or Turn Undead given that gives you access to Divine Metamagic cheese.