PDA

View Full Version : Please help with a kobold barbarian

Crackers
2014-02-15, 01:14 AM
Hi, I'm completely new to D&D tabletop and been trying to read all the material I can but I'm getting more confused XD, I guess it will be easier to understand once I start playing.

I wanted to create a Rageblood Kobold Barbarian because it sounded like fun, now I have tons of questions hope you can help .

I thought that the Talenta Sharrash had reach and wanted to do a Polearm oriented build but now I've realized that It doesn't, I've read in another guide that there are other ways to increase your reach but I'm not sure what could help.

I wanted to take a multiclass feat on Battle Awareness to have access to the polearm feats but now that there are hybrid classes, would it be better to take a level on Arena Fighter?, and if I do, is it better to not take the Talenta proficiency feat? (since I now would have bonusses on weapons I don't know how to use, and as it is a 2 handed weapon, would I use a d10 instead of a d8 for damage?).

If I take that hybrid class (does it even work like that being an arean fighter and a rageblood barbarian at the same time?), should/can I still take a multiclass feat into Battle Awareness for the extra attack and free skill?.

On Themes I had thought that Iron Wolf Warrior would be good with my character but the wererat option sounded cool too, not sure about the background still.

As a small warrior I'm not sure if I should take feats like scrappy or the one that gives me better critical range against large or larger creatures

The DM is making us start at 4th level and giving us an extra feat(improved defences) and an extra skill at character creation, the campagin will not be combat intensive so the build doesn't need to be extremely optimized. We also have a free 5th, 4th and 3rd level item and 680 gp to spend in what we want. The items have to be of normal or uncommon rarity.

This was what I had in mind at first, could you please help me make this build better?

Klinclank Trickfang, level 4
Kobold, Barbarian
Build: Rageblood Barbarian
Feral Might: Rageblood Vigor
FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 15, Dex 14, Int 8, Wis 15, Cha 10.
STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 17, Con 13, Dex 12, Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 10.

AC: 15 Fort: 18 Reflex: 15 Will: 14
HP: 48 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 12
TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +9, Perception +9, Endurance +9, Acrobatics +9, Athletics +11
UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +1, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +4, Heal +4, History +1, Insight +4, Intimidate +2, Religion +1, Stealth +6, Streetwise +2, Thievery +6
FEATS
Level 1: Battle Awareness
Level 2: Weapon Proficiency (Talenta Sharrash)
Feat User Choice: Improved defences
Level 4: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)
POWERS
Kobold utility: Shifty manouver
Barbarian at-will 1: Pressing Strike
Barbarian at-will 1: Howling Strike
Barbarian encounter 1: Desperate Fury
Barbarian daily 1: Swift Panther Rage
Barbarian utility 2: Combat Sprint
Barbarian encounter 3: Brutal Slam

ITEMS
Vanguard Talenta Sharrash +1, Pouncing Hide Armor +1, Gauntlets of Ogre Power (heroic tier), Adventurer's Kit

Thanks for all the help

Nightgaun7
2014-02-15, 02:24 AM
Why do you want the Talenta Sharrash particularly?

You don't take a level in a hybrid, what happens is that you basically change your class from "Fighter" or "Barbarian" to "Hybrid". Seeing as you are a new player, you should probably stay away from hybrids for now. They're tricky to make and play.

Battle Awareness is one of the best multiclass feats in the game and Barbarian MC'd Fighter is a very good combination; I myself have a paragon Barbarian[Fighter] who is a monster on charges and uses fighter powers to do more non-standard damage.

Iron Wolf Warrior is decent at low levels but has some accuracy issues later on since the attack doesn't scale well. You might consider the ever-popular Guardian, Sohei, Elemental Initiate, or Ironwrought.

Pouncing Armor is virtually useless for you since you should be using howling strike anyways, and the Ogre gauntlets are ok but you should be more concerned with getting yourself a neck slot item, most likely a Badge of the Berseker.

Crackers
2014-02-15, 10:31 AM
Thanks a lot!

Initially I wanted the talenta because I thought it had reach and I think it is the only polearm that a small character can use, but now I guess I could go for another weapon and save a feat. Altough it doesn't look all that bad.

What weapon would you recommend for a small barbarian?

I will take a look at another armor then, about the badge of the beserker, you are right I also wanted it, but the DM is saying that it isn't allowed, but could use a lesser badge of the beserker. It's just that I didn't found it on the CB.

I'll be reading about those themes, thanks again!