PDA

View Full Version : Laser Skirmish

McDeath
2007-01-29, 06:05 AM
A realistic combat simulation, without any pain! I generally play at least once a month, and it's really fun. Anyone else play laser skirmish?

The group that runs the games in my area uses these guns: http://www.battlefieldsports.com/weapons.htm

Penguinizer
2007-01-29, 10:54 AM
I prefer airsoft. Easier to notice if hit. And the pain is a good motivator not to get hit.

Jack Squat
2007-01-29, 11:12 AM
I just recently played at Laser Quest. same thing really, but cheaper and proabably more restrictive in the areas you can hit. See, I pull off alot of headshots and there aren't any sensors near the head. Then you hit a sensor and it doesn't read it.

I'm with Penguinizer, airsoft is better. Of course, simulnitions trumps all.

Penguinizer
2007-01-29, 11:16 AM
Which reminds me, I need to re-calculate how much I would expect to pay to upgrade an old airsoft gun (Marui FM F1) to m100. I was calcualting around 80 euros >.< maybe 100.

Ouch, might go into the 170 euro area >.>

Amotis
2007-01-29, 11:17 AM
I sell pro-airsoft models and yeah, I can say they get rediculiously expensive. Up there with good paintball guns.

Penguinizer
2007-01-29, 11:20 AM
No, that is for tune up parts. Almost as much as the gun itself XD Make that as much.

And im not calculating the possibility of a broken mech-box into it.

Amotis
2007-01-29, 11:22 AM
Huh? I didn't say that number was incorrect, I was just saying it's an expensive hobby. I'll just run around the backyard with a 315fsp pistol with my friends and call it fun thankyaverymuch.

Penguinizer
2007-01-29, 11:44 AM
And I never claimed you did. I mis-read the statement. and the "on the safe side" way costs 214 euros, while the cheaper one is along the 140 euro area.

Wehrkind
2007-01-29, 08:15 PM
My father and I were looking to get some good 1911 .45 style semi auto airsoft pistols for close combat practice. Would you be able to direct me towards any good models, or some to stay away from?

Sewer_Bandito
2007-01-29, 08:19 PM
Yeah, I just bought 6 10 dollar pistals at a sporting goods store and me and my friends just run around the neighborhood eachother. It's only expensive if you want it to be :smallbiggrin:

...and as for laser tag, I go there with my youth group alot and it's always a ton of fun.

Wehrkind
2007-01-29, 08:23 PM
The laser skirmish around here is a little dull, since you are not allowed to run or kneel and the like. Sort of takes the excitement out when you are doing it in slow motion. That, and considering the thousands of acres for actual shooting or paint ball or air soft, there is really little reason to not just do those.

Amotis
2007-01-29, 08:40 PM
My father and I were looking to get some good 1911 .45 style semi auto airsoft pistols for close combat practice. Would you be able to direct me towards any good models, or some to stay away from?

Smith and Wesson 1911 is what I would go for. Cheap (20 bucks on sale) and probably one of the fastest spring pistols around (315fps). Though it's not-semi auto. For semi-auto I would go for a green-gas or co2 kind, though there are some good spring semi autos it's not really worth it. Though for close combat practice? Wear something thick 'cause too close and it might pierce skin. I'd stay away from anything that's less then 300fps 'cause then it just turns cheap and not worth it.

Penguinizer
2007-01-30, 12:22 AM
most gas powered ones cost around 100 euros or so for the cheap ones here. 50-60 for spring.

Wehrkind
2007-01-30, 12:49 AM
Well, close like 10-40 feet close. Sooner or later we are going to try and pistol whip the other and get shot from like 3 feet, but I have taken gas powered shots from about that far and just got a bad welt. Still have the welt over a week later though...

McDeath
2007-01-30, 01:20 AM
The group I play with, there is a sensor on the front and back of the head, and one on the gun. You can lie down, kneel, hide, clamber, whatever. They run it at a high school, and we have the run of the whole school except for the oval. It's pretty realistic - depending on the mission you have 2 or 3 hits, and those go fast if you don't know what you're doing.

Wehrkind
2007-01-30, 04:38 AM
That's pretty sweet, though surprising your school runs it. Or is that simply where it is located, rented space as it were?
Where is it, out of curiosity?

Penguinizer
2007-01-30, 08:06 AM
We play with one hit with my friends. I recommend using gloves with airsoft guns, it hurts a lot when hit on the nuckles.

McDeath
2007-01-30, 03:41 PM
The high school rents out, for a pretty low cost. It's in Brisbane. In Australia. Last mission we played, the attacking team had a medic who could revive people. If the medic was killed, they had to go back to where they started and all get revived. Hence, there was a big incentive to protect the medic. In a half-hour game, the medic died five times.

By the time they got within ten metres of the objective - a hostage - there were two minutes left and five defenders (including me) remaining, in cover and spread out. We just stalled them until the time ran out.

Wehrkind
2007-01-30, 08:12 PM
Ahh should have guessed. I gotta hand it to you Aussie's, you definitely are not pansies about stuff like that. In the US people would be shocked and apalled you even asked to rent the space for that.

DarkLightDragon
2007-01-30, 10:24 PM
I don't know most of the game's you're talking about, but I have played laser games called DarkLight (guess where I got my name from?) and Zone 3 (or DarkZone, either one works) quite a few times. You're provided with the packs and guns in those so you don't buy anything except the actual games.

I'm not sure which one I like better because the DarkLight I go to has a DDR machine outside the arena but Zone 3 has more interesting game styles, funny names on the packs and bases that you can destroy for lots of points (I've done this multiple times, solo, with lots of enemies guarding whatever base I was at).

DarkLight is basically shoot as many people as you can and get the highest ranking, but still very fun. Zone 3 has interesting and challenging objectives like destroy the enemy bases, turn everyone else into a vampire, etc.

Has anyone else played these?

Penguinizer
2007-01-31, 12:17 AM
Nope, I still stick with airsoft. Somewhat more tactical due to the limited range.

McDeath
2007-01-31, 03:35 AM
Oh, there are range issues at Battlefield Live. The smaller guns are effective at a maximum of fifteen metres, but the Moreta - the largest gun, and really the only gun that needs a telescopic sight - is effective up to 300 metres, and with a 99 round clip, you can kill a lot of people. Pity it's a) heavy, b) terrible at shorter ranges and c) easy to spot when you're in cover.

Additional: Glee! Three more games and I have made it to Private First Class.

Penguinizer
2007-01-31, 07:37 AM
ok, I still think that airsoft has a bit more balance, and its harder aswell. Since the bb's rarely fly completely straight. Unless you want to fork over 40 bucks for a tuning inner barrel. And that isnt taking wind in to focus.

McDeath
2007-02-10, 08:46 PM
I made Private First Class yesterday. I demand congratulation even though it is a minor achievement! Also proud because I killed two guys 2-on-1 yesterday.

Idleknight
2007-02-11, 04:50 PM
Freaky i was looking at that site a couple of weeks ago

I airsoft in the UK and do like it for various reasons but think that the lasergames will take off over here soon. I'm mainly interesting in using lasertag stuff to simulate modern live roleplay games.

McDeath
2007-02-12, 02:48 AM
Yes, I have been thinking about how cool that would be...Modern LARPing with real guns...