PDA

View Full Version : Fabricate, by level 6?

Yogibear41
2014-02-15, 05:24 AM
Is there anyway to cast Fabricate by level 6? If you can cast it earlier that is great too. If you can cast it as a dwarf, using a non-arcane spellcasting class then you just won the game.

Fable Wright
2014-02-15, 07:11 AM
Is there anyway to cast Fabricate by level 6? If you can cast it earlier that is great too. If you can cast it as a dwarf, using a non-arcane spellcasting class then you just won the game.
I can think of 3 ways that wouldn't break the game too much.
The first method is to be an Artificer, from the Eberron Campaign Setting. At level 3, you can craft scrolls of up to level 3. Fabricate is a third level Trapsmith (from Dungeonscape) spell. It does take 8 hours to cast this way, admittedly.

The second method is related to the first. Be a level 6 Artificer. One first-level Infusion available to artificers is Spell-Storing Item, which allows you to basically turn any item into a wand with a single charge for a spell of a level up to 1/2 your own. Fabricate is once again a third level Trapsmith spell.

The third method is by using Dragonmark Heir. A Dragonmark Heir, at 4th level, gains a Greater Dragonmark (which is a feat that grants the ability to use an SLA from a short list, which includes Fabricate, once per day). Usually, this occurs at character level 8. However, by abusing the rules for retraining in the Player's Handbook 2, you can technically retrain levels you used to qualify for Dragonmark Heir as levels of the Dragonmark Heir class. By this method, you could enter as, say, a Fighter 4 and then, after two levels, be a Fighter 2/Dragonmark Heir 4 (with the Mark of Making) and be able to use Fabricate once per day.

Ruethgar
2014-02-15, 11:52 AM
White Dragonspawn Abonimation Loredrake Desert Kobold Sorcerer has a very small chance of getting Fabricate at level 1 and an increasingly more likely chance up to 100% at level 6.

The Create Device feat would allow you to make an item that could replicate Fabricate as an extraordinary ability, doable with ease by level 6.

Bakeru
2014-02-15, 12:27 PM
White Dragonspawn Abonimation Loredrake Desert Kobold SorcererI was going to complain about the combination of "White Dragonspawn" (evil ice dragons) and "Desert" (definitely not "cold mountaintops", where White Dragons usually live), but then I realised it has "Abomination" in there, so it all works out.

Ruethgar
2014-02-15, 12:44 PM
A tundra is a desert and cold. The kobold thralls could easily be in the plains at the base of a mountain range, or on a plateau with an extensive cave system lair for both them and their master.

Bakeru
2014-02-15, 12:53 PM
A tundra is a desert and cold. The kobold thralls could easily be in the plains at the base of a mountain range, or on a plateau with an extensive cave system lair for both them and their master.Not in D&D, where Desert [something] creatures all get Heat Endurance to help fortitude checks made to resist hot weather.

Yogibear41
2014-02-15, 08:28 PM
DM of Darkness those ideas could potentially work, but they go against the fluff of what I have in mind as the place I am working on would be vastly opposed to arcane magic, even taking arcane magic from the trapsmith and converting it to non-arcane magic via artificer could potentially be a bad idea, but I will keep it in mind in case they get very desperate for some reason.

Ruethgar

What is this Create Device Feat that you speak of?

Bakeru
2014-02-15, 08:35 PM
It is, apparently, from the Ravenloft-book "Legacy of Blood". Googling it, I found this topic discussing it. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264069)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-02-15, 09:49 PM
A Spellhoarding Dragonwrought (Desert) Kobold Loredrake with the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage and six levels in any combination of Wizard and/or (Stalwart, Battle) Sorcerer will have Wizard 9 spellcasting at ECL 6.

White Dragonspawn is an acquired template, you cannot gain it before your first HD and your first feat, and it cannot be applied to creatures of the dragon type. Dragonwrought can only be taken at 1st level, it's described as being visible from the outside of the egg that the kobold hatches from, so there's no possibility of gaining Dragonwrought after White Dragonspawn. By the RAW it cannot be done.