PDA

View Full Version : Spellthief stealing limits.

G.Cube
2014-02-15, 08:33 AM
What would happen if you allowed Spellthief to steal a number of spells and SLAs up to its full amount of SA dice?

nedz
2014-02-15, 09:43 AM
Against a Warmage: He would be a minor annoyance
Against a Beguiler: Dread Necromancer he would be moderately annoying
Against a Wizard: he would be a major annoyance
Against a Sorcerer or Bard: he would be crippling

Fax Celestis
2014-02-15, 12:07 PM
What makes you think you can't?

ddude987
2014-02-15, 12:20 PM
I first read this as "Spellthief steaming limbs"

HaikenEdge
2014-02-15, 12:21 PM
I first read that to mean the spellthief was stealing the limits from things, like the max dice limit off a fireball spell, or the maximum limit off the inherent bonus you could get from casting wish.

G.Cube
2014-02-15, 12:59 PM

I'm not seeing anything that solidly implies that you can give up multiple dice to steal multiple spells in a single attack. The only thing that I can find for the opposing side is it specifically mentions forgoing 1d6 to steal a spell/SLA.

Person_Man
2014-02-15, 01:15 PM
So I have a Spellthief homebrew fix (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16213338) you might want to look at. I've play tested it in a number of games, and can tell you that stealing 1 spell or other ability per turn and knowing exactly what your options are to steal is definitely the way to go.

Why? Being able to steal multiple spells or abilities per turn created all sorts of annoying problems. You're essentially rolling three times for every successful attack (once to hit, once for damage, and once to determine what spell you get at random) and then you need to worry about your maximum spells stored cap. So you're likely to lose many spells that you steal simply because you can't store all of them.

Also, the "steal something at random" mechanic that the RAW Spellthief has to deal with for most of his levels is just really annoying. You end up getting a lot of spells that aren't useful for the situation you're in. It's deeply frustrating for a player, especially since your Steal Spell ability is only useful against a small subset of enemies.

nedz
2014-02-15, 02:22 PM
How useful is the Godsblood Spelltheft (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606) feat ?

Aegis013
2014-02-15, 02:50 PM

Because my spellthief never came up against an enemy spellcaster who wasn't immune to sneak attack in all 10 levels I played him. :smallfrown:

nedz
2014-02-15, 03:56 PM
Because my spellthief never came up against an enemy spellcaster who wasn't immune to sneak attack in all 10 levels I played him. :smallfrown:

That's quite appalling. Did the DM think that they were over-powered ?

Aegis013
2014-02-15, 04:29 PM
That's quite appalling. Did the DM think that they were over-powered ?

It was a round-robin DM game. The multiple DM's don't at all think that spellthieves are overpowered in any way. It was entirely coincidental. Crazy, right?

nedz
2014-02-15, 04:36 PM
It was a round-robin DM game. The multiple DM's don't at all think that spellthieves are overpowered in any way. It was entirely coincidental. Crazy, right?

I don't know what to say. Maybe it's part of your gaming group's culture ?

Fax Celestis
2014-02-15, 10:46 PM
I'm not seeing anything that solidly implies that you can give up multiple dice to steal multiple spells in a single attack. The only thing that I can find for the opposing side is it specifically mentions forgoing 1d6 to steal a spell/SLA.

It says 'forgo 1d6 sneak attack' and has a no-action activation. It says nothing about being able to use the ability only once per round or per attack.

Spuddles
2014-02-15, 10:56 PM
I don't know what to say. Maybe it's part of your gaming group's culture ?

A level 7 wizard is three spell slots away from medium fortification and a level 9 wizard is 4 slots from heavy fortification.

Not that preposterous is NPC wizards are played like internet wizards.