PDA

View Full Version : Chaaaaarge! [FEAT]

ExHunterEmerald
2007-01-29, 10:00 AM
RUNNING SIDESWIPE [General]
You are adept at making attacks as you move by enemies.
Prerequisites: BAB +6 or Two-Weapon Fighting
Benefit: Any time you run past an enemy (for example, on a charge), you may make a single melee attack as you pass. Attacks made are done in reverse order of normal BAB--the first attack is at your lowest BAB, your final at your highest. You still draw attacks of opportunity as normal.
If you do not use all of your attacks, you start at the highest BAB attack that ends with your charge target receiving the highest BAB attack.
If you are charging, you must use your last and highest BAB attack on the enemy you charge. You may choose not to attack given opponents to use that attack on the next you move past.
Normal: You may only make a single attack on your charge.
Special: If you use two weapons, your off-hand strike(s) count as additional attacks.

Gah, this was a whole lot clearer before I tried to account for unique circumstances...
Still, what do you think?

Jack_of_Spades
2007-01-29, 10:45 AM
This is something that I would like to use.
I hate having only one attack after a charge.
I can't think how to re-word this to make it clearer, but it was readable enough to understand.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-01-29, 10:52 AM
I suspect once I wake up I'll be able to reword it better.
I'm on about two hours of sleep and in class. C'est la vie.

Roderick_BR
2007-01-29, 11:31 AM
I like it. I was actually writing a Feat exacly like that. I don't get why the attacks get progressively better, though.

Golthur
2007-01-29, 11:48 AM
I'm suspecting he always wants the last attack (the final "victim" of the charge) to always get your highest BAB attack.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-01-29, 12:12 PM
Yeah.
Fluff-wise, it also implies building momentum to your charge.

Indon
2007-01-29, 09:26 PM
Would this be a clearer way of describing the feat?

RUNNING SIDESWIPE [General]
You are adept at making attacks as you move by enemies.
Prerequisites: A base attack bonus, feat, or class ability which grants you additional attacks on a full attack.
Benefit: Any time you, as part of a move action, pass an enemy, you may make a single melee attack against that enemy. You may not make more attacks with this ability than you have attacks in a full-round action, and your attacks are made from lowest to highest base attack bonus without regard to weapon used. If you do not use all of your attacks while moving, then you may make a single attack at your highest bonus, as normal.

If you charge with this feat, you must use an attack with your highest bonus on the target of your charge.

Questions:
-Can the ability be used while tumbling to avoid the inevitable attacks of opportunity?
-Do you have to run in a straight line, or can you zig-zag all over the place nipping at people?
-Can you use the ability on a full run (x4/x3 speed, or x5 with the Run feat), or just with a move or double-move action? (If you can, then my version is wrong)

I like the idea. I think it should have Spring Attack as a requirement, but I like it conceptually.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-01-29, 09:51 PM
Very nice retranslation and cleanup.
1: Yes, but I'd add a penalty so this doesn't become the best thing ever for rogues.
2: Hmm...as long as there are attacks of opportunity, I'd say you could make a running fight like that.
3: Any time you're moving your full move speed or more, I would say--IE, if your speed is 20 ft, you can use this during that move.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-29, 09:56 PM
@Indon: A Charge, by its definition in the RAW, must be in a straight line.

Icewalker
2007-01-29, 10:44 PM
I like it, useful and simple enough, with that rewording. Maybe it should just be charges, or at least 30 ft movement or something.

Indon
2007-01-29, 10:58 PM
@Indon: A Charge, by its definition in the RAW, must be in a straight line.

It's not neccessarily on a charge, a normal move action can allow it.

I personally view it as the next logical step past Spring Attack. Thus my recommending the feat as an additional requirement.

Matthew
2007-01-31, 06:33 PM
This is a pretty fun Feat. I'm not sure of the prerequisite, I think it ought perhaps just to be BAB +6, as it is fairly powerful.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-31, 06:35 PM
It's not neccessarily on a charge, a normal move action can allow it.

I personally view it as the next logical step past Spring Attack. Thus my recommending the feat as an additional requirement.

Oh, rereading the feat text, I see that now. The name of the thread threw me off.