PDA

View Full Version : Guessing The Snarl: a product of the Gods of the East!

Sunken Valley
2014-02-15, 02:58 PM
Has anyone proposed that the Snarl is actually a security system devised by the Gods of the East? After all, except for in Shojo's story, everyone who dies by the Snarl was poking into the rift.

My theory. The Gods of the East were being really argumentative and went to war with the other gods, ousting them and building their own world. Then the other Gods locked their world inside their own creation. Both sides hate each other and that's what the whole Snarl thing is, with the Gods of the East wanting to protect their world and the other Gods not wanting the Gods of the East to fight them. The IFCC's plan is to manipulate Zeus and co into fighting the other Gods.

It ties in well with Rich's themes of paranoia, co-operation and the mistakes of the elders. He said the Snarl was a metaphor for groups falling apart due to creative differences. This theory is that in half-dragon dire mode.

ObadiahtheSlim
2014-02-15, 03:54 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if the eastern pantheon faked their deaths. We only have the Sapphire Guard's version of what went down. However the trustworthiness of their intel is already in question. With Girard's gate not being in the reported location this could be another thing they got wrong. The Snarl existing we get from the Sapphire guard and from the Redcloak so we know something is there..

Lord Raziere
2014-02-15, 03:58 PM
Has anyone proposed that the Snarl is actually a security system devised by the Gods of the East? After all, except for in Shojo's story, everyone who dies by the Snarl was poking into the rift.

My theory. The Gods of the East were being really argumentative and went to war with the other gods, ousting them and building their own world. Then the other Gods locked their world inside their own creation. Both sides hate each other and that's what the whole Snarl thing is, with the Gods of the East wanting to protect their world and the other Gods not wanting the Gods of the East to fight them. The IFCC's plan is to manipulate Zeus and co into fighting the other Gods.

It ties in well with Rich's themes of paranoia, co-operation and the mistakes of the elders. He said the Snarl was a metaphor for groups falling apart due to creative differences. This theory is that in half-dragon dire mode.

I proposed a similar theory, yes.

only it was that the rest of the gods imprisoning the Gods of the East, then lying to the world about it and creating the Snarl as a divine defense system against people finding out about what the gods did wrong, then lying that the Gods of the East died to a world-destroying terror that the rest of the gods saved existence from.

so that then the Gods of the East created their own little world inside their prison, perhaps from the strings of reality that used to make up the prison, which is why the rifts are forming....

Sunken Valley
2014-02-15, 04:22 PM
I proposed a similar theory, yes.

only it was that the rest of the gods imprisoning the Gods of the East, then lying to the world about it and creating the Snarl as a divine defense system against people finding out about what the gods did wrong, then lying that the Gods of the East died to a world-destroying terror that the rest of the gods saved existence from.

so that then the Gods of the East created their own little world inside their prison, perhaps from the strings of reality that used to make up the prison, which is why the rifts are forming....

That is just as good. Maybe better, as Rich has said the Gods are lying. Makes sense.

Kislath
2014-02-15, 04:37 PM
I have no clue about the gods and such, but the snarl being little more than the mother of all fences is a pretty good theory! I like it.

It didn't attack Laurin until she tried to mess with the ocean, after all.

Chessecakeman
2014-02-15, 04:42 PM
I've always figured that the world in the rift was the first world that the gods created. Maybe the Eastern Gods had too much of a say in that world and finally the other gods just locked them in with it. "If you like that world so much then you can live with it."

The snarl fits as a defensive system put in so that the old world couldn't directly communicate with the new world, and the Eastern Gods couldn't 'break out'. Maybe this defensive system also seeks out living beings and kills them as well, explaining why Laurin couldn't find any fish in their oceans. A further punishment for the stubbornness of the Eastern Gods.

The IFCC wants the gates to open and for the Eastern Gods to come back through the portals and fight with the current Northern/Western/Southern gods.

During the ensuing chaos, the legions of the evil planes then attacks the good planes, wiping them out, forever keeping the rest of creation under the thumb of evil. This plan would give them the confidence that they could kill 5x as many good dragons as black dragons died from familicide.

NerdyKris
2014-02-15, 05:01 PM
That is just as good. Maybe better, as Rich has said the Gods are lying. Makes sense.

He didn't say that. He implied that they weren't being entirely truthful by saying that "That's a good question, why aren't they just protecting the gates with a legion of angels?".

He has not explicitly said they were lying. That would be silly of him to reveal a key plot point in the story years ahead of time for the sake of forum speculation.

SlashDash
2014-02-16, 06:19 PM
He didn't say that. He implied that they weren't being entirely truthful by saying that "That's a good question, why aren't they just protecting the gates with a legion of angels?".

He has not explicitly said they were lying. That would be silly of him to reveal a key plot point in the story years ahead of time for the sake of forum speculation.

Also, In the commentary of Don't Split the Party

Did blackwing's vision prove that someone was lying about the Snarl, or is something going on in that prison that no one - maybe even the gods themselves - knows about?

M.A.D
2014-02-16, 07:12 PM
Also, In the commentary of Don't Split the Party

Did blackwing's vision prove that someone was lying about the Snarl, or is something going on in that prison that no one - maybe even the gods themselves - knows about?

Could be both, though I'm more inclined towards the second one. The Snarl is made of tangled threads of reality, after all, so one could say it is a manifestation of reality itself, like a whole different world.