PDA

View Full Version : Wand Wielding Warlock [3.5]

TheMindSlayer
2014-02-15, 04:04 PM
Hey guys, soon after my D&D group finishes playing Age of Worms, we will be moving on to a new campaign. I have a character concept of what is essentially a gunslinger with wands, lightly based on Jericho Cross from the game Darkwatch. We will starting at level 1, but I want to have my build finalized to present to the DM before the game starts. My problem lies in the fact that there are so many feats and things I need, I am unsure when to take them.

Character at Level 1:
Human Warlock 1
Strength: 11
Dexterity: 18
Constitution: 16
Intelligence: 14
Wisdom: 11
Charisma: 18

My tentative feat progression is this:
1: Two-Weapon Fighting
1 (bonus): Quick Draw
1 (flaw): Wandstrike
3: Maximize Spell
6: Craft Wand
9: Double Wand Wielder
12: Metamagic Spell Trigger
15: Wand Mastery
18: Reckless Wand Wielder

The only levels I have planned are Warlock 12/Hellfire Warlock 3. I'm not sure whether I should just continue Warlock or look to dipping in to another Prestige Class. Also, like I said, that feat progression is just the best I could come up with.
Long story short, I need help getting the most out of my feat progression, help with what to fill my extra levels with, and advice on anything that can make me the best at using wands. I know Artificer does it best, but I aim trying to limit myself from being THAT powerful AND I really like the flavor of playing Warlock. Any help would be much appreciated.

Edit: The only reason I took Wandstrike is that my DM ruled I can use Hideous Blow with it. If shown something better, I will replace it no problem.

Kaje
2014-02-15, 04:45 PM
Are you planning on relying on wands to heal your CON damage? If not, a dip in Binder would be good.

Also, your DM just made Hideous Blow fantastic.

TheMindSlayer
2014-02-15, 04:50 PM
I was planning on using a wand to restore the Con damage, but a dip in Binder would not be bad. What other things would dipping Binder give me access to? I do have 5 levels open at the moment.

Kaje
2014-02-15, 05:05 PM
1 level of Binder will of course only get you 1 vestige at a time, and of course it'll be Naberius whenever you're out adventuring. Naberius gives Disguise Self at-Will, Faster Ability Healing, the ability to make untrained skill checks, Command every five rounds, and the ability to take 10 on bluff and diplomacy while rushed or distracted.

Zetapup
2014-02-15, 05:21 PM
I was planning on using a wand to restore the Con damage, but a dip in Binder would not be bad. What other things would dipping Binder give me access to? I do have 5 levels open at the moment.

Well, Naberius' abilities alone are pretty good: heal one ability damage every round, take 10 on some social skills, and being able to treat some skills as trained. If you need to you can bind a different vestige, but I'd usually stick to Naberius.

For the 5 levels you have open, you could go Chameleon 2. That'd give you a floating feat that you could use on item creation/whatever you need that day. I can't think of any other especially good choices off the top of my head.

TheMindSlayer
2014-02-15, 05:24 PM
I am definitely going to dip for that one level of Binder, thanks for the idea! I still have 4 more levels left open, though. I'm also not entirely sure if I have all of the feats I need/have them in the right order.

Kaje
2014-02-15, 05:26 PM
Chameleon 2 is good, though you'll need to lose one of your other feats or take a second flaw, since it requires Able Learner at 1st level.

Dr. Azkur
2014-02-15, 06:30 PM
If you care about flavor and want to swim even deeper into the Jericho Cross pool, then take a look at the Savage Progression Vampire (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a). Which may not mesh as well with the overall build but at least you can decide when to take the vampire levels and can be spread all over your character progression, instead of being locked until you finish it. It just seems right with the whole Jericho slowly turning into a vampire.

I second Chameleon 2. It's just great.

Vanitas
2014-02-15, 06:45 PM
Hideous Blow is still hideous, even with the Wandstrike houserule, IMHO.

Kaje
2014-02-15, 06:55 PM
How so? It's a touch attack, so that negates the big problem of Hideous Blow. Stacking your EB on top of another d6 and a spell sounds pretty damn good to me.

Vanitas
2014-02-15, 07:13 PM
How so? It's a touch attack, so that negates the big problem of Hideous Blow. Stacking your EB on top of another d6 and a spell sounds pretty damn good to me.

Still sucks. Little damage, provokes, no reach. You could always get this kind of effect on Hideous Blow easily with wands of flame blade or wraithstrike before.

In this build, you're spending an invocation known and an extra charge of your wand for 1d6 damage. The eldritch blast/spell damage doesn't even double in a critical hit.

I'd avoid it like the plague.

Dr. Azkur
2014-02-15, 07:18 PM
I'm with Vanitas here. I don't really see what's the good thing about hitting with your wand. Don't tell me it's the extra d6. Losing it would free very needed feats and it's not like Jericho goes into melee with his pistols anyway.

Double wielding wands, though, that I can get behind.

TheMindSlayer
2014-02-15, 07:58 PM
I was thinking that it would be useful to combine the damage of the spell in the wand, an extra d6, and my eldritch blast damage. If I was ever forced in to melee it would give me a way to fight while still using my wands. Could it not be useful in some situations?

Dr. Azkur
2014-02-15, 08:01 PM
If you really want an edge in melee, grab Eldritch Glaive. THAT is the melee warlock invocation.

But in general, unless you're start to truly focus on melee, you may want to keep to your wands, and if caught up close, then make us of the Hellfire Shield, which is there for something.