PDA

View Full Version : Oh, now that I'm dead what ever will I wear?! Hanging eyeball doesn't go with green!

drack
2014-02-15, 05:02 PM
While rare, occasionally whole cities and towns of necromancers form from which countless items that might be viewed as profane or savage by most cultures.

Armor

Armor (light)
Cost
Armor bonus
Maximum dex bonus
Armor check penalty
Arcane spell failure
Speed (30')
Speed (20')
Weight

Flesh Suit
10gp
+1
+8
5%
30'
20'
130lb

Tanned Flesh Suit
20gp
+2
+6
10%
30'
20'
50lb

Flesh Suit:
When a skeleton is made, all the flesh seems to melt off a body to pool beneath it. A Flesh suit is quite simply, that same flesh then carefully sewn together allowing a skeleton to still wear it's flesh and organs. While all the stitches and misfit flaps of skin make it impossible for a skeleton in a flesh suit to pass as one of the living,

Tanned Flesh Suit:
Alternatively a flesh suit can be tanned before it is stitched together. A tanned flesh suit cannot be made in less then a week, and no longer causes the skeleton that wears it to appear much like a patchwork zombie. Instead the skin shrivels, contorts, and stretches, giving much the appearance akin to a ghoul. Alternatively the skins can be twisted and contorted further leaving a face in agony that no longer covers the head causing the skin to stretch over the jagged jaws and head of the skeleton. An arm might stretch through the stomach's skin with the arm skin hanging loose from a leg. The exact appearance of a Tanned Flesh Suit should be left to it's creator as their grotesquely is only a reflection of the mind of the necromancer that made it, giving form to all the maddening twists and oddities of their own mind.

Clothing:

Goods
Cost
Weight

Wilted skin
1sp
-

Skin of youth
50gp
-

ceremonial wrappings
75gp
10lb

living robe
175gp
30lb

Cloak of souls
500gp
-

Undead clothing is much differant then that of the living. The undeads adorn themselves in the flesh, bodies, bones, and even souls of the dead, accepting the nature of death, and that the world itself accepts them only half as beings, and as inanimate objects controled by foul magics. Some necromancers even delude themselves into believeing the souls of the dead may remain unharmed by their works, but then I ask, why is it they cannot be resurected, why don't they always need a corporial form when you return them to life, and what kind of twisted torment have you subjegated them to? To rob them of their sanity, and leave them as helpless dolls is only the first step, delving deeper some cast aside any sentaments for the souls of the damned, forming them into garbs to be worn, or desecrating their tomb and stealing the skins of others to hide their own decay.

Wilted skin: A wilted skin is the skin of those long dead, robbed from graves, and grafted to the undead that wears it. Some wear them to hide rot, but more often to extend their lives, prolonging the decay. After all it's that much more flesh to decay first, and as the skin is bound to the same magic that keeps them animate, they continue on as if it had always been their own. You get what you paid for though, often wilted skins are already half rotten, having shrivled under the ground for decades without use. Often they render the wearer hidious, all the same, with hop, less hidious then there were before skin.

Skin of Youth: Similar to a wilted skin, a skin of youth is taken from a freshly killed youth, and when merged with the undead's form, it acts as if filled with organs, though it remains hollow to the touch, unlike a flesh suit. Often a Skin of Youth will be worn over a flesh suit in order to grant the best of both worlds. Internal organs and the beauty of youth eternal, for when one ages or decays another can always be found.

Ceremonial wrappings: Many cultures honored their dead, and wrapped them in fine linnons, decorating them with gold. The cumulative of this all after years of age is a garb of ceramonial wrappings. This is in earnest a refluffing of aristocrat's outfit, and I vary much encourage everyone else to refluff the DMG cloths to suit their character, but figured I should leave a rough sketch of an example in order to plant ideas in young minds and what not.

Living Robe: Some necromancers would call this a waste, while others a perfected creation. A Living Robe is a mindless undead... well actually several of them, worked into a garb while still alive. Living Robes retain none of the undead's abilities, and should be treated as normal cloths with respect to taking "damage", however they are a tapestry of twitching limbs and clicking jaws suitable for any who wish to openly express their true undead nature without restraint. While a Living Robe isn't truly alive in the traditional sense, and would act no differant even if commanded, any detection method will reveal it as a CE undead creature occupying the same space as the wearer.

Cloak of Souls: Having not believed himself to have gone far enough, the creator of the Living Robe was said to have met a mass murderer, and to enrapture was he by the fear in the murderer's eyes that the souls of the damned were haunting him, that the necromancer summoned these souls, and bound them weaving them into a flowing robe of souls, all franticly searching for release, whitling endlessly about the wearer. Afterwards the trend caught on and many of the worst assassins and necromancers took to clading themselves in a cloak spun of all the souls they've tormented over the years. It is little known however that there is no way of seleccting the souls that compose a Cloak of Souls, so often the souls thought to be trapped in the throat are revived and kill the men and women who might have worn them. Still a cloak of souls is hard to destroy, and can only be done by submerging it in holy water and casting bless on it. (The holy water is left untouched) As with a Living Robe, any detection method will reveal it as a CE undead creature occupying the same space as the wearer.
note: if a soul is trapped in a Cloak of Souls, or an undead in a Living Robe, the creature may not be revived until their soul is released through the destruction of the profane garbs.

Tools and Skill Kits

Coods
Cost
Weight

do-it-yourself embalming kit
500gp
40lb

Do-it-Yourself Embalming Kit: A do it yourself embalming kit contains all that's needed to embalm a corpse. While normally embalmed dead can often last years without any sign of decay, but a Do-it-Yourself Embalming Kit instead draws on your knowledge of various religious preservation practices to preserve the corpse since chances are science hasn't been invented. the user rolls a knowledge religion check against a DC of 5/year of prolonged undead freshness. For each year of undead freshness the user and undead must spend a full day on the process.

Debihuman
2014-02-15, 06:28 PM
Wicked and clever. I like these. Would the flesh suit decay over time?

Debby

drack
2014-02-15, 06:55 PM
Why thank ye.

As for decaying I believe it still would. After all it's just sticking the stuffing back in the bird. Still, a bit o' garlic around the house to mask the smell, perhaps some cloths that cover the stitch marks, and farmer Bob and his kindly wife Jane are back to business as normal off in their cottage... at least until they're "interrupted"... :smallamused:

That first bit was somewhat inspired by my Marionette of Living Undeath (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243456) ability. All sorts of utility and fun fluff though from classy light armors to splended ball gowns (of shrieking/twitching zombies). :smallsmile:

Debihuman
2014-02-16, 09:27 AM
Why thank ye.

As for decaying I believe it still would. After all it's just sticking the stuffing back in the bird. Still, a bit o' garlic around the house to mask the smell, perhaps some cloths that cover the stitch marks, and farmer Bob and his kindly wife Jane are back to business as normal off in their cottage... at least until they're "interrupted"... :smallamused:

That first bit was somewhat inspired by my Marionette of Living Undeath (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243456) ability. All sorts of utility and fun fluff though from classy light armors to splended ball gowns (of shrieking/twitching zombies). :smallsmile:

I was thinking that flesh suit armor would only last a week or so before it falls apart. Plus, it would have a terrible stench. There's not enough garlic to mask that smell after a few days -- trust me.

Debby

drack
2014-02-16, 09:56 AM
I'd believe it, but it shouldn't decay faster then a zombie does would it?

Guess I'll add something anyways since everyone likes a "do it yourself embalming kit" as a tool kit. :smalltongue: