PDA

View Full Version : Solution: slippers of battledancing and full attack

Hiro Quester
2014-02-15, 05:24 PM
I have been coveting some slippers of battledancing for a while. I playing a bard with a high charisma bonus, and the snowflake wardance feat, which gives cha bonus to attack rolls, it not damage.

Slippers of BD add Charisma to damage rolls.

The catch is that you must move at least 10 feet as a move action to get this benefit, which means you can't have the full round attack.

However I just discovered (MIC 233) that you can add enchantments of items to other items of the same type, for 1.5x the price of buying that item.

If you enchant the slippers with the Skirmisher Boots feature this seems to solve this problem, at least for two rounds.

MIC, p 136:

you can activate skirmisher boots to make a single extra melee or ranged attack using your full base attack bonus. You can only activate this ability if you have already moved at least 10 feet from the space where you started your turn. Movement while mounted does not allow you to activate the boots. This benefit does not require the skirmish class feature and can be activated two times per day.

The boots are 3200 gold, so the enchantment would be 4800 gold.

Can anyone see a better way (by item, not feat) to do this?

Khatoblepas
2014-02-15, 05:44 PM
Sparring Dummy of the Master gives you a 10ft step, but you'll need at least one level of monk, or a +19 Use Magic Device check. As a high charisma bard, I'm betting you have the latter. It's 30,000gp, but you only need to use it once, so seek out some monasteries.

According to Oriental Adventures, a DC40 tumble check is all you need to make a 10ft step.

Nirhael
2014-02-15, 05:46 PM
Belt of Battle (MiC, 12k) gives you a Move/Standard/Full Action at the cost of 1-3 charges, with 3 charges total available per day.

Boots of Sidestepping (MiC, 6k) lets you take a second 5-foot step three times a day, so you can 5-foot step twice and use your Full Attack.

Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker (MiC, 500gp) lets you use the Swift Action required to activate it to move up to half your speed once per day. (I'd pick up a few of these, they're cheap and quite efficient.)

Quicksilver Boots (MiC, 3.5k) pretty much trades the Swift Action require to activate it for a Move Action twice per day.

Some DMs might not allow you to "merge" magic items together, make sure to check with yours before you plan too far ahead.

Jack_Simth
2014-02-15, 05:47 PM
Tome of battle, Tiger Claw, Dancing Mongoose: Swift-action make one strike per weapon at one target (max two) at your full BAB. Normally, you can't get that without levels or feats... however, Tome of Battle also includes the Tiger's Claw Bracers, which let you get a martal manuever... you'll need to meet the requirements via UMD, though.

Artillery
2014-02-15, 05:54 PM
There is also Gauntlet of Heartfelt blows from Dragon Compendium. They are 12000gp and add cha mod fire dmg to your melee attacks.

You could also take Travel Devotion for swift action movement.

Magic Item Compendium also has Boots of Sidestepping. 3/day you get another 5ft step.

OldTrees1
2014-02-15, 06:23 PM
If he moves at least 10 feet as part of a move action

5ft steps are not move actions
Swift actions are not move actions

Khatoblepas
2014-02-15, 06:32 PM
5ft steps are not move actions
Swift actions are not move actions

Ah, good point.

A Dorje of Hustle will do it, as will Tempo Bloodspikes.

Hiro Quester
2014-02-15, 07:42 PM
Thanks, everyone.

The chronocharm ability added to by badge of valor might work. But only once/day is a limitation. And you can wear only one, and it only works after you have worn it for 24 hours.

I this morning told the DM I want to buy some gauntlets of heartfelt blows. I haven't got approval (that someone in the city I'm in has some for sale). But the DM keeps throwing monsters at us that are immune to fire. So I'm also looking for a back-up or double-up on charisma damage.

I have ordered a few tempo bloodspikes, too, but the second use is costly.

I already have the belt slot occupied with essential item, so the belt of battle doesn't seem worth the sacrifice.

Can a bard use psionic devices? I don't know much about dorjes.

And I think OldTrees is right about swift actions and 5 ft steps. They don't count.

I didn't start out trying to melee well, but mostly buff and backup caster. But there are times when the meat shields need help and I've already nspired courage and greatness, hasted and slowed. And when casting Otto's irresistible dance you need to get in melee range anyway, so while the monster is dancing, I'd like to beat it around a bit.

I think the Skirmisher boots enchantment might be the best option, then.

I have already asked DM about adding enchantments. But it is right there in the MIC (p. 233), with a boots enhancement as the example.

Did I miss anything?

Nirhael
2014-02-15, 07:51 PM
Out of curiosity... just what kind of belt are you using that's worth more than extra actions?

Hiro Quester
2014-02-16, 02:21 AM
Out of curiosity... just what kind of belt are you using that's worth more than extra actions?

+6 belt of giant strength with +4 constitution enhancement added to it. (The DM okayed adding enhancements to magic items.) I'm a charming wimp without it.

Deophaun
2014-02-16, 03:12 AM
I this morning told the DM I want to buy some gauntlets of heartfelt blows. I haven't got approval (that someone in the city I'm in has some for sale). But the DM keeps throwing monsters at us that are immune to fire. So I'm also looking for a back-up or double-up on charisma damage.
Gauntlets of Heartfelt Blows are made with burning hands, a level 1 spell whose only relationship with the effect is it does fire damage. Ask if a different spell with a different energy descriptor can be used to change it to something other than fire.

OldTrees1
2014-02-16, 03:19 AM
+6 belt of giant strength with +4 constitution enhancement added to it. (The DM okayed adding enhancements to magic items.) I'm a charming wimp without it.

Per Magic Item Compendium, your belt still has room for 1 non basic effect like the Belt of Battle effect without penalty. Specifically you are allowed to combine basic effects (like +4 Con) onto any item for merely their market price (16K gp in my example, 50K gp in your example).