PDA

View Full Version : Ways to get sneak attack.

Teapot Salty
2014-02-15, 08:47 PM
Hey guys. I was wondering, aside from legitimately sneaking up and stabbing an opponent, what are other ways to get sneak attack? I can think of feint and flanking and that's it. Essentially what are ways to make your opponent flat footed?

Firechanter
2014-02-15, 09:02 PM
Tome of Battle has a couple of maneuvers to that effect. The simplest being Sapphire Nightmare Blade, a level 1 maneuver: if your attack hits and you also beat the enemy AC with a Concentration check, the target is flat-footed against your attack _and_ takes an extra 1d6 of damage. It's a Standard Action and you can't spam it every round, but with a well-placed Sneak that can be enough.

(There are also higher-level maneuvers with similar effects, thought I'd just start with the simplest one.)

Venger
2014-02-15, 09:44 PM
Hey guys. I was wondering, aside from legitimately sneaking up and stabbing an opponent, what are other ways to get sneak attack? I can think of feint and flanking and that's it. Essentially what are ways to make your opponent flat footed?

feint makes enemies flat-footed, and flanking lets you deliver sneak attack (but doesn't render them flatfooted.

going before an enemy in initiative also will work. you're flat-footed until you act in combat, so boosting init helps.

Dread_Head
2014-02-15, 09:50 PM
Getting a friendly wizard to cast grease, glitterdust, Evards Black Tentacles or similar spell to make them flat footed or otherwise sneak attackable. Or with ranks in use magic device use a wand of one of these spells.

kroonermanblack
2014-02-15, 09:55 PM
What about tanglefoot bags, and entangle spells?

Yuki Akuma
2014-02-15, 10:01 PM
Being entangled doesn't deny you your Dexterity bonus to AC, so those won't work.

Curmudgeon
2014-02-15, 10:33 PM
The Telling Blow feat enables sneak attack on any critical hit. A Keen rapier has a 15-20 critical threat range.

Venger
2014-02-15, 10:59 PM
being grappled denies dex to AC, so kelpstrand, manyjaws, or summons also help.

Wacky89
2014-02-16, 07:03 AM
Marbles, Forgotten Realm Campaign Setting p.97

Wacky89
2014-02-16, 07:08 AM
there is also the Flick of the Wrist feat from Complete Warrior. Invisibility/greater invisibility also works

Mandark
2014-02-17, 12:35 AM
Have an ally take the Variant Ranger class feature from the Phb2, then attack right after them. Distracting attack Flanks the hit target until the target is attacked, or until the start of your next turn.

Crake
2014-02-17, 02:35 AM
Have an ally take the Variant Ranger class feature from the Phb2, then attack right after them. Distracting attack Flanks the hit target until the target is attacked, or until the start of your next turn.

I had a trip ranger/rogue who used distracting attack, triggering it off the touch attack for tripping, then getting sneak attack on the free attack from the trip (if it were successful).

Grek
2014-02-17, 03:29 AM
Wear a Ring of Blinking to make all of your attacks deny Dex to AC.
Get a Wand of Greater Invisibility and UMD it.
Get a Wand of Pyrotechnics and UMD it.
Get a Wand of (Deeper) Darkness and UMD it.
Buy a dog, train it to flank with you. Buy lots of dogs.