PDA

View Full Version : Wand/Potion user build suggestions

Invader
2014-02-15, 08:55 PM
Is there a way make a viable potion/wand only user? I realize its suboptimal but as opposed to going straight artificer can something like artificer/alchemical savant/cannith wand adept with or without some other dips in any other suitable classes?

I know there are a few decent wand feats but as far as I know the only thing for potions is delay potion which can be nice but since you can only delay one probably isnt worth it.

ericgrau
2014-02-15, 10:36 PM
Ya there are feats for this. Dual wand wielding + practiced spellcaster to meet pre-reqs with minimal casting. OTOH 3rd and then 5th level casting (for 2nd and 3rd level spells) will become useful later to save money by crafting your own wands. So maybe you could do an eldritch knight build for the BAB, feats and partial casting. For potions you get whatever spell level is cheap at your current level and drink it only during the buff round. I like protection from evil for the +2s. One is still more than nothing, so delay potion is nice. With a wand of delay potion plus a wand of whatever else, you basically get a cheap quicken. Never underestimate action economy.

I suppose with dual wand wielding the basic starting point is spell spamming, but there are other options too. Two spells a round is nice, even if they are low level. Again, never underestimate action economy.

Some efficient low level spells include web, ray of enfeeblement and (later) sleet storm & empowered ray of enfeeblement. Haste is good too but it isn't spammable. They will be good even when others are casting high level spells. And two a round can get bat**** crazy.

Quick draw helps with wand switching but it's still a move action to put them away which hurts. I'd probably stick to one good tactic instead, like enfeebling and webbing everything. Probably against different foes when possible, but they combine well too b/c enfeebled foes have a hard time getting out of webs. If you do spam enfeeble or another ray, precise shot is probably a good idea.