PDA

View Full Version : The Truest of Fakers

Vhaidara
2014-02-15, 11:43 PM
So, I've had a character idea floating around in my head for a while: a character who joins the party multiple times as different people.

Specifically, this would be a Changeling (so the party doesn't know it's the same person) with levels in Chameleon (to play the roles of different people) Entry would probably be Factotum (because better Rogue is better). And I was thinking the last 5 level of the build (or possibly the 6-10 range, depending on how the group shapes out) would be the Charlatan PrC from Dragon 335. The Charlatan handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=8763.0) does a good job covering the abilities of the class.

So, what does everyone think? Factotum 5/Chameleon 10/Charlatan 5? If I DM again, I may also use this as a contact(s) for the PCs.

weckar
2014-02-15, 11:47 PM
Interesting idea, but to what end? If the party doesn't know... does it really matter?

Vhaidara
2014-02-16, 12:15 AM
Eventually someone will make a check...Hopefully. Also, It gives me a big reveal when it turns out the 5 different people they worked for (all apparently in opposition) are the same guy.

weckar
2014-02-16, 12:18 AM
Well, the best laid plans and all that... From the knowing angle you see a check to be eventually made, from the blind they see five people who are giving them work.

Ydaer Ca Noit
2014-02-16, 12:23 AM
If he is NPC then you could go doppelganger

Vhaidara
2014-02-16, 12:41 AM
It might be an NPC, but I may want to play it.

For playing it, I just feel wrong having a character go "hey, I can copy what other people do!". I would probably claim that I was one of a group of 5, but that only 1 of us could be away at a time for [reason].

weckar
2014-02-16, 12:43 AM
What is the minimum CL you'd think this viable? Doesn't seem too good for a full campaign.

Vhaidara
2014-02-16, 12:48 AM
As a character, as low as 6. I really just need that first chameleon level. Over the next several levels, the party would probably figure me out, and the charlatan levels would be party known.

My groups tend to play for flavor instead of power. Our DMs have one major rule: don't break my game, and we won't break your character too badly.

weckar
2014-02-16, 12:57 AM
Dms? Lucky...

Anyway, I never saw much point to the charlatan. Fortune Teller's Eye would be fun, and there's no real other way to get something like it, but other than that...

I just think it is a lot to go through and a lot of constraint to put on your character for a limited gimmick.

Vhaidara
2014-02-16, 01:03 AM
Everyone in our group either does or has dmed. I'm the only one not currently because I power tripped last time (and we're running like 7 campaigns in total).

Part of it is that one of my friends wants to run a world where all magic got wiped by some apocalypse. At my suggestion, it is now run by charlatans because no one knows any better.

weckar
2014-02-16, 01:07 AM
Wait. If magic doesn't exist anymore, how are people going to believe the faking of it? Isn't precedent the Charlatan's main asset?

Vhaidara
2014-02-16, 01:09 AM
They convince people they still have it. And as far as anyone can tell, they do. Until the PCs come along, of course.

And if you don't think this would work, Google the Tale of Sir Bearington. That happened.

weckar
2014-02-16, 01:16 AM
Good read. I always thought Bluff was language-dependent. Who knew?

Anyway, for what you want to do, I guess this works. I doubt how well it would work as a PC though. Separation of meta knowledge and character knowledge can only go so far.

Invader
2014-02-16, 01:18 AM
Valar Morghulis

Vhaidara
2014-02-16, 01:29 AM
Perhaps. But when this character dies, 5upstanding citizens move to a different city :smalltongue:

shylocke
2014-02-16, 02:52 PM
There is a prestige class called master of masks iirc. Might be useful.

Vhaidara
2014-02-16, 06:25 PM
I know it, but I feel it's redundant because
A: Changeling covers disguises better than masks
B: Chameleon makes you more convincing at each role than MoM.