PDA

View Full Version : Contest Picture PrC Contest: Chat Thread

Ra_Va
2014-02-16, 01:04 AM
Hoping that a dedicated Chat thread might gather more interest for this rejuvenated Contest.

[CENTER][SIZE="4"]Current Contest: Contest V (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?392307-Worth-a-Thousand-Words-V&p=18641243#post18641243)

Contest 4 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?331609-A-Picture-is-Worth-a-Thousand-Words-IV-%28PrC-Contest%29&p=17006972#post17006972) - Sentinel of the Woods Zaydos

Contest 3 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318270) - Host of the Elder Frost by Zaydos

Contest 2 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125849) - Archaeologist by Flarp

Contest 1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6512299) - The Witchlamp by TSED

Temotei
2014-02-16, 06:00 PM
Good plan. I support this.

I may participate. We'll see what I can pull out.

Jallorn
2014-02-17, 06:29 AM
I'll be putting forth a Maneuver using Beast Master kind of Prc.

Zaydos
2014-02-17, 12:18 PM
I'll have to try and make something... probably a ranger-intended prc that gets summoning SLAs.

Just to Browse
2014-02-17, 04:47 PM
Dangit Zaydos, that's exactly what I wanted to write.

Fortuna
2014-02-17, 05:17 PM
Oooh, interesting. I have the idea of a psionic class that specializes in inducing hallucinations and madness, making even the most benign object seem a terrifying threat.

ddude987
2014-02-18, 01:26 PM
I think I'm going to try this. It'll be my first contest, but gotta start sometime. Question: Is creating new spells and/or feats for your PrC allowed?

Temotei
2014-02-18, 01:37 PM
I think I'm going to try this. It'll be my first contest, but gotta start sometime. Question: Is creating new spells and/or feats for your PrC allowed?

Plenty of people do it. It should be fine.

Ra_Va
2014-02-18, 02:42 PM

Plenty of people do, it's perfectly acceptable.

Just to Browse
2014-02-19, 02:05 PM
Took forever, but I'm done. I forgot how much flavor stuff people can put into these classes.

Temotei
2014-02-19, 02:33 PM
So, I'm definitely entering if I can finish on time. I have a bunch of it written up already. The class is based on reality revision and working around what reality actually is when it becomes subjective.

It's based on the picture's weird reality-bending concepts with the tilting trees (especially in the background) and the wolves seemingly coming from trees and the overall "melded" feeling the picture gives. Everything feels as if it comes from the same but is clearly distinct. Anyway, that's somewhere along the lines of my train of thought.

Jormengand
2014-02-19, 02:56 PM
Should I feel bad for taking the picture at face value? Because seriously, everyone else's concept seems so... meta.

Regardless, this will be up as soon as I'm done rewriting every spell in the PHB. Wish me luck!

Just to Browse
2014-02-19, 03:33 PM
Also, Ra_Va, your sig link isn't working.

Jormengand
2014-02-19, 04:46 PM
Well, I've posted something. Not the most complete of somethings, but something.

Ra_Va
2014-02-19, 10:11 PM
Should I feel bad for taking the picture at face value? Because seriously, everyone else's concept seems so... meta.

Regardless, this will be up as soon as I'm done rewriting every spell in the PHB. Wish me luck!

Never its what comes to YOUR mind. Better then what I thought of when I saw the picture, lore alone was complicated enough, simplicity can be a good thing.

Also, Ra_Va, your sig link isn't working.

Thank you for telling me, I believe I fixed it now.

Well, I've posted something. Not the most complete of somethings, but something.

Don't worry about it, I have that problem too... actually you reminded me I need to finish something.

Jormengand
2014-02-20, 11:25 AM
simplicity can be a good thing.

Which is, of course, why I'm rewriting every spell in core to fit my class. :smalltongue:

Hellbred_Bard
2014-02-25, 04:40 PM
Hmmm March 3rd, I can probably rush something out.

Tanuki Tales
2014-02-25, 04:43 PM
Have you guys asked Roland St. Jude if this thing is kosher to still run?

Ra_Va
2014-02-28, 03:58 PM
Have you guys asked Roland St. Jude if this thing is kosher to still run?

Admittingly No, I didn't think much of it, I'll send a pm his way.

Jormengand
2014-03-01, 08:53 PM
*Slams head against desk.*

Well, apparently my class is worth slightly over 11 3/4 pictures, if Word's word count is to be believed.

Have fun reading all that. Seriously, man.

Just to Browse
2014-03-07, 06:52 PM
Voting thread?

Jormengand
2014-03-08, 06:29 AM
Voting thread?

Ka-Pow! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17140589#post17140589)

Incorrectly states that they're base classes at least twice, though...

Temotei
2014-03-08, 07:01 AM
Incorrectly states that they're base classes at least twice, though...

Ah, the copy-paste. :smalltongue:

Ra_Va
2014-03-08, 12:19 PM
:P I've been sick, so its Likely I didn't notice, fix it in a bit.

Ra_Va
2014-03-18, 03:19 AM
bump, remember everyone can vote

Ra_Va
2014-04-13, 10:51 PM
Well with the new forums, I need to do some research before I start another contest, also some things in real life are getting in the way so these may come out slower unless someone else doesn't mind helping me with keeping the contest alive.

Ra_Va
2015-01-11, 05:37 AM
After a long Hiatus and moving 3 states away. New contest is up.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?392307-Worth-a-Thousand-Words-V&p=18641243#post18641243

Just to Browse
2015-01-11, 02:15 PM
My friend, your last contest had only 3 contestants and one vote and no declared placements at all. Especially after 8 months of silence, maybe you should see if people are actually still interested in the topic.

High Priest of
2015-01-11, 07:18 PM
Hmm despite the noticeable time gap, The premise of this contest has my homebrewing interest. You'll probably see something from me in a few days.

Zaydos
2015-01-11, 09:39 PM
I'll see whether I can make something, the current Base Class Contest entree I'm making is... time/interest devouring. I have at least 2.5 ideas.

qwertyu63
2015-01-12, 09:32 AM
Why does your template have this?

Skill Points at First Level: (x + Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: x + Int modifier

It's a PrC; it should just have this.

Skill Points at Each Level: x + Int modifier

Hellbred_Bard
2015-01-12, 05:42 PM
Came back in hopes of joining an adventure in the recruiting section, but I can most likely still pull something out for this, I'll atleast have my fluff up today and get to the crunch when I can.

Inevitability
2015-01-14, 01:16 PM
I have an idea. Possible interest.

Inevitability
2015-01-16, 12:59 PM
Question: Does the class have to be 10 levels long, or can it be 5, 12 or even 3 levels?

Temotei
2015-01-16, 03:25 PM
Question: Does the class have to be 10 levels long, or can it be 5, 12 or even 3 levels?

Prestige classes tend to be at most ten levels long, so the template is there for people who are going that far. For lower levels, you can just delete the last five or seven or whatever. It's mostly for ease of use. I was going to make a five-level for the last picture contest, for example.

Also, the first post should really be updated. Current contest still links to IV.

ezkajii
2015-01-20, 02:05 PM
I've got a submission in the thread; now i've been away from the site for a while but i know the last time i was on contestants would PEACH each other in the spirit of goodwill. I'm hoping to get some feedback, the class is the first big homebrewing i've done since i got well again and I put it together over the course of a few hours so I feel like there's gotta be some basic stuff that I'm missing with it. Please and thank you, and good luck to everyone! (Except Zaydos, Zaydos doesn't need luck :smalltongue:)

Inevitability
2015-01-20, 02:37 PM
I just realized... maybe the PrC template should get a section for, y'know, the prerequisites to enter said class?

Zaydos
2015-01-20, 02:45 PM
I've got a submission in the thread; now i've been away from the site for a while but i know the last time i was on contestants would PEACH each other in the spirit of goodwill. I'm hoping to get some feedback, the class is the first big homebrewing i've done since i got well again and I put it together over the course of a few hours so I feel like there's gotta be some basic stuff that I'm missing with it. Please and thank you, and good luck to everyone! (Except Zaydos, Zaydos doesn't need luck :smalltongue:)

Ah thanks for the vote of confidence :smalltongue: I'd almost forgotten about this, I'll see if I can make something, I think the biomancers of the Simic Combine have siphoned away my creative juices for the completion of the Kraj Project (note: I will not be statting Kraj, he falls into the scope of Epic levels and/or Major Artifact). But I do have ideas. Just got to find the right inspirational music and come up with a mechanical idea/theme to match the fluff that comes to mind.

Edit: And my class idea has just changed. It will not be a cleric PrC for worshiping forbidden Old/Outer Gods. It will be a Bard PrC for worshiping forbidden Old/Outer Gods.

I just realized... maybe the PrC template should get a section for, y'know, the prerequisites to enter said class?

I just use the one from the PrC Contest (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?393910-GiTP-Prestige-Class-Contest-XLIX-It-s-Another-Race-Thing).

Edit 2: On the PEACH front I'd probably suggest a cap for beholder hit dice you can control at lower than your character level seeing as how beholders have CR above their hit dice and you're talking about controlling 7+ permanently at 5th level in the class. Even if it's a 16-20 class you're still talking 7+ CR 16 creatures (each independently capable of controlling a number of CR 13+ creatures). Even if you don't chain it that way you're talking about 9th level spells and 7+ CR 16 creatures at 20th, and potentially 7+ CR 13 creatures as early as 11th level. Can't say too much without prerequisites to know what level these things are actually coming online. You also might want to relegate it to only the extra eyes from the class to avoid it 1 being usable as a 2 level dip to trade 1 level of casting for 4 easily (even if not on a daily basis) replenishable beholder slaves.

Edit 3: And mechanically it is finished. Just need to fluff it out. I hope the voters like Lovecraft and Bards.

ezkajii
2015-01-20, 10:29 PM
On the PEACH front I'd probably suggest a cap for beholder hit dice you can control at lower than your character level seeing as how beholders have CR above their hit dice and you're talking about controlling 7+ permanently at 5th level in the class. Even if it's a 16-20 class you're still talking 7+ CR 16 creatures (each independently capable of controlling a number of CR 13+ creatures). Even if you don't chain it that way you're talking about 9th level spells and 7+ CR 16 creatures at 20th, and potentially 7+ CR 13 creatures as early as 11th level. Can't say too much without prerequisites to know what level these things are actually coming online. You also might want to relegate it to only the extra eyes from the class to avoid it 1 being usable as a 2 level dip to trade 1 level of casting for 4 easily (even if not on a daily basis) replenishable beholder slaves.

Ah, I was worried it was too strong as written (couldn't check as I was AFB when i posted it), but I figured I'd err on the side of overpowering the class since it really doesn't have a lot in the way of class features. Nerfed appropriately - and I should've included the clause about no controlling chains from the beginning, totally missed that. Thank you! Also I look forward to reading the Cantor, it looks really good. :smallsmile:

Zaydos
2015-01-20, 10:38 PM
Ah, I was worried it was too strong as written (couldn't check as I was AFB when i posted it), but I figured I'd err on the side of overpowering the class since it really doesn't have a lot in the way of class features. Nerfed appropriately - and I should've included the clause about no controlling chains from the beginning, totally missed that. Thank you! Also I look forward to reading the Cantor, it looks really good. :smallsmile:

I'd actually suggest something more than 1/2 however since you want to get true beholders before 22nd level. Possibly 1/2 character level + class level (meaning that Wizard + PrCs 19/Beholder Slavemaster 1 would be able to control a beholder but not one of their more advanced kin, and it would take till Wizard + PrCs 13/Beholder Slavemaster 5 to control the CR 15 Overseer). Or if, say the PrC requires enough levels you could even do the simple 10 + class levels or some such.

And Cantor is pretty much done. Mechanics are finished, only a few fluff sections left.

Edit:
Beholder(kin) by HD (MM, MoF, and LoM):
Eyeball 1 HD (CR 1/2, 3.0)
Spectator 4 HD (CR 4; native to mechanus)
Gauth 6 HD (CR 6)
Director 8 HD (CR 8)
Beholder 11 HD (CR 13)
Eye of the Deep 12 HD (CR 8)
Death Kiss 12 HD (CR 11, 3.0)
Overseer 14 HD (CR 15)
Gouger 14 HD (CR 11, 3.0)
Hive Mother 20 HD (CR 16)

ezkajii
2015-01-20, 11:44 PM
I'd actually suggest something more than 1/2 however since you want to get true beholders before 22nd level. Possibly 1/2 character level + class level (meaning that Wizard + PrCs 19/Beholder Slavemaster 1 would be able to control a beholder but not one of their more advanced kin, and it would take till Wizard + PrCs 13/Beholder Slavemaster 5 to control the CR 15 Overseer). Or if, say the PrC requires enough levels you could even do the simple 10 + class levels or some such.

Modified the HD requirements as you mentioned, and added a few new feats - only one of which is specific to this class.

As for the Cantor of the Old Gods - I really like the flavor, and it's obvious you've not only thought it out very thoroughly but made sure it was cross-compatible with splat material (double props for making it combatible with other homebrew). It has a lot of familiar themes mechanically, and while I generally dislike bards as a whole, I think this one's different enough and interesting enough it wouldn't be a drag to play with one in the group. that's high praaaaaise

Jormengand
2015-02-07, 03:15 PM
Aaand I did a thing. Yay!

Zaydos
2015-02-07, 08:32 PM
In the Blood Magic ability it mentions being able to do it a small number of times per day, but there's no limit listed to how many times per day they can do it; is this supposed to be at will? In which case why mention a small number of times per day in a game where even in the core books there's spells like Heal and items like Wand of Cure Light Wounds which can allow you to spam it, and outside of core there are many, many ways to get near infinite out of combat healing (for example Dread Necromancer with 1 level in this class currently has infinite spells slots out of combat if they take Tomb Tainted Soul)? Or did you just leave off the use limit?

Also where can the bonus spells known be found?

Jormengand
2015-02-08, 09:49 AM
In the Blood Magic ability it mentions being able to do it a small number of times per day, but there's no limit listed to how many times per day they can do it; is this supposed to be at will? In which case why mention a small number of times per day in a game where even in the core books there's spells like Heal and items like Wand of Cure Light Wounds which can allow you to spam it, and outside of core there are many, many ways to get near infinite out of combat healing (for example Dread Necromancer with 1 level in this class currently has infinite spells slots out of combat if they take Tomb Tainted Soul)? Or did you just leave off the use limit?

I was going to limit it, but then I realised I could just restrict you from using healing spells with it (otherwise a bard with a single Blood Mage level would be able to keep on CLWing himself until kingdom come). Because you can't use healing spells with it, you either need to have a cleric willing to sacrifice his healing spells for you to cast more, or some way of cheating - if you have NI hit points then you're already cheesing it up enough that you probably have infinite spellcasting anyway.

Also where can the bonus spells known be found?
Haven't made them yet - gimme a bit!

ezkajii
2015-02-19, 11:12 AM
It looks like Ra Va has disappeared. (Last post was 1/26) As the contest was supposed to end Feb 3rd and it's the 19th, would it be reasonable, or disrespectful, to have someone else co-opt the contest and open the voting thread?

Jormengand
2015-02-19, 11:18 AM
It looks like Ra Va has disappeared. (Last post was 1/26) As the contest was supposed to end Feb 3rd and it's the 19th, would it be reasonable, or disrespectful, to have someone else co-opt the contest and open the voting thread?

See, I forgot about this too, and need a bit of time to get my stuff in order after the inglorious clusterflub formerly known as the base class contest. Give it another couple of days.

ezkajii
2015-03-05, 04:34 PM
Are people still interested in finishing this contest? Also, I assume it's bad form for one of the contestants to be in charge of the voting thread - are there any volunteers? Our proprietor seems to have gone missing.

Temotei
2015-03-05, 11:39 PM
See, I forgot about this too, and need a bit of time to get my stuff in order after the inglorious clusterflub formerly known as the base class contest. Give it another couple of days.

lel

Are people still interested in finishing this contest? Also, I assume it's bad form for one of the contestants to be in charge of the voting thread - are there any volunteers? Our proprietor seems to have gone missing.

Sure, why not? I'll have it up shortly. Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?402234-Worth-a-Thousand-Words-V-Voting-Thread&p=18917181) we go. Twelve days for voting as was originally planned, though if anyone needs another day because of Drinking Day, that's fine with me.