PDA

View Full Version : Designing an Effective Pacifist

N0RKS
2014-02-16, 01:54 AM
Hi, I'm new *waves* :smallsmile:

The game I'm running is winding down now and we're starting to get our characters ready for the next one, someone else will be DM this time so I get to play.
What I'd like to be is a Cleric of Bahamut who refuses to kill unless facing true evil.

He's still willing to put the beat down on people and will do this to the best of his ability, he just doesn't kill.
To this end I was thinking of using un-armed attacks, grapples, trips, disarming etc. in combination with cleric spells and heavy armour, to make myself a competent defender of my squishier allies while maintaining my characters principles abut not killing anything that isn't downright evil.

We're playing 3.5 but my soon-to-be DM is pretty lenient, I'm using the Strength and Pact domains and I'm lawful good. I was wondering what kind of race or feats should I choose to best compliment this character? I was thinking maybe a Goliath or a Half-Minotaur?

weckar
2014-02-16, 01:59 AM
What exactly would be the win-state of combat for this character? Dropping them with non-lethal damage? Letting another party member deal the killing blow? Petrifying the opposition (it's technically not killing)? Getting away succesfully?

Based on this, you'll have a much better idea of your build.

N0RKS
2014-02-16, 02:12 AM
Dropping them with non-lethal damage would be best, he isn't adverse to other characters battling to the death but he might try and stop them from killing those who are already defeated.

shylocke
2014-02-16, 02:39 AM
Vow of nonviolence from exalted deeds. Then into the pacifist prestige class from same book. Can't remember class name right now.

INoKnowNames
2014-02-16, 03:03 AM
Vow of nonviolence from exalted deeds. Then into the pacifist prestige class from same book. Can't remember class name right now.

Given that Pacifist PRC also requires one to forgo all material wealth, including potentially a holy symbol, which means a Cleric wouldn't be able to cast spells (yet paradoxically allows for defensive items that I have on more than one occasion seen suggested as a loophole to said forgoing), Effective is not the first term that comes to mind upon hearing about this option. Flavorful, and with the right DM fun, but probably a step down in power to even a standard cleric.

Honestly, a Unarmed Cleric that punches things into submission and uses buffs to help incapacitate them sooner sounds like a good option. Sacred Fist for a few levels might be good, or even more levels if your DM rules Text over Table, which would mean you wouldn't lose a single spellcasting class level if you took a full 10 levels of it. You'd be forgoing heavy armor, though, but you gain an armor bonus from the class, and you also gain Wisdom to your Armor Class, which should help make up the difference.

weckar
2014-02-16, 03:06 AM
Using a Holy Symbol can be circumvented if you get it as a blessed metallic tattoo. It's effectively the same thing, but no longer an item.

INoKnowNames
2014-02-16, 03:37 AM
Using a Holy Symbol can be circumvented if you get it as a blessed metallic tattoo. It's effectively the same thing, but no longer an item.

That doesn't sound like something that costs 0 cp. Baring the exceptions listed, Vow of Poverty doesn't allow for anything that costs actual money, so you'd still be in a bit of trouble there unless your DM ruled otherwise for you. His might, but the point remains the norm. I've had one Dm say that since the Material Component Pouch costs several times over a basic one that a wooden holy symbol should be gratis, and another be stringent in not having anything baring what is listed.

And since the op notes that he is new, I'd recommend against encouraging rushing into a class and set of feats that have spawned arguments and flame-debates almost as bad as the ones for monks and tiers and alignment threads. Making allies take stacking penalties with no save and demanding them play a certain way isn't the most popular option I've seen.

And in the end, it's still a step down, spell list wise, from a Cleric who simply choose not to kill and focused on defeating evil. The op seems to want a combat based Cleric whom can choose when blood needs to be shed. Making him unable to inflict lethal damage on Evil Outsiders might not be in his best interest.

Seriously, Pacifism is a playstyle. It's only a -4 penalty to hit to make a weapon do non-lethal, and I don't even think unarmed strikes take that penalty. Punch-Out All the bad things, using your spells to make your holy fists kick ass.

I wish I could help with races, but I'm a racist. :smalltongue: I almost always go straight Human. Even then. I'd avoid a level adjustment on a casting class, since Spells are super good. Though, you are a Cleric of Bahamut... have you heard of the Dragonborns? That might be right up your shtick (and also an impossibility, technically, if you take Vow of Poverty).

Kraken
2014-02-16, 03:43 AM
The pacifist class people are mentioning is called apostle of peace. It does NOT require vow of poverty, you are allowed as many material possessions as the next character.

shylocke
2014-02-16, 03:44 AM
Given that Pacifist PRC also requires one to forgo all material wealth, including potentially a holy symbol, which means a Cleric wouldn't be able to cast spells (yet paradoxically allows for defensive items that I have on more than one occasion seen suggested as a loophole to said forgoing), Effective is not the first term that comes to mind upon hearing about this option. Flavorful, and with the right DM fun, but probably a step down in power to even a standard cleric.

Honestly, a Unarmed Cleric that punches things into submission and uses buffs to help incapacitate them sooner sounds like a good option. Sacred Fist for a few levels might be good, or even more levels if your DM rules Text over Table, which would mean you wouldn't lose a single spellcasting class level if you took a full 10 levels of it. You'd be forgoing heavy armor, though, but you gain an armor bonus from the class, and you also gain Wisdom to your Armor Class, which should help make up the difference.

That's vow of poverty. Nonviolence let's you use anything that doesn't cause lethal DMG, death effects or pain effects.

INoKnowNames
2014-02-16, 03:52 AM
The pacifist class people are mentioning is called apostle of peace. It does NOT require vow of poverty, you are allowed as many material possessions as the next character.

That's vow of poverty. Nonviolence let's you use anything that doesn't cause lethal DMG, death effects or pain effects.

I wouldn't call out someone without actually checking the book in question.

REQUIREMENTS
To qualify to become an apostle of peace, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Alignment: Any good.
Base Save Bonuses: Will +5.
Skills: Concentration 10 ranks, Diplomacy 6 ranks.
Feats: Sacred Vow, Vow of Nonviolence, Vow of Peace, Vow of Poverty.

Seriously though, I am not getting a "Actual Pacifist who only slays undead and constructs, and technically not even Demons or Devils" vibe from the op. I'm getting a "Martial Pacifist who fights evil but only kills when it is absolutely mandatory" vibe. The two might not be mutually exclusive, but the former is a bit harder to work with, and I wouldn't recommend it for a newbie.

shylocke
2014-02-16, 04:02 AM
The book is open in front of me. Apostle of peace requires poverty, peace and nonviolence

Vrock_Summoner
2014-02-16, 04:06 AM
I wouldn't call out someone without actually checking the book in question.

Good job on correcting Kraken, but there was no reason to include Shylocke's quote. He's in the right; strictly taking Vow of Nonviolence doesn't require Vow of Poverty. Unless you thought he was talking about Apostle of Peace, but I'm pretty sure he was exclusively referring to the Vows that have been brought up.

On-topic, I'm in agreement that a Cleric/Sacred Fist deal would be the best option, especially since a Monk level or two gets you some extra feats, one of which is Improved Grapple if you wanted to go that route. Keep in mind, that means your best spells will be ones that increase your size and strength, though items can cover that second part, along with (thematically) spells that are strong against "true evil" creatures; I'm thinking along the lines of Holy Word for Outsiders, though since you're Grappling and will be in easy touch range anyway, you probably don't need anything other than your basic Heal to take out Negative Energy-powered Undead.

Make sure to take the time to buff your party. That's probably the best use of your spell slots; buffing yourself is generally an only-if-necessary thing, because you don't need to protect your squishier friends if you can make them not-squishy. This handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=420.0) has some pretty good suggestions for spells and strategies to buff your allies in the best ways, and you can just ignore the stuff that tells you how to be a melee Cleric.

EDIT: Oh, and I recommend against races with even a single LA unless your DM is going to allow buyoff reasonably quickly if not immediately. Losing even a single caster level is so much more of a hindrance than lower Strength.

INoKnowNames
2014-02-16, 04:13 AM
The book is open in front of me. Apostle of peace requires poverty, peace and nonviolence

I know. That's what I said.

Good job on correcting Kraken, but there was no reason to include Shylocke's quote. He's in the right; strictly taking Vow of Nonviolence doesn't require Vow of Poverty. Unless you thought he was talking about Apostle of Peace, but I'm pretty sure he was exclusively referring to the Vows that have been brought up.

You tell me:

On-topic, I'm in agreement that a Cleric/Sacred Fist deal would be the best option, especially since a Monk level or two gets you some extra feats, one of which is Improved Grapple if you wanted to go that route. Keep in mind, that means your best spells will be ones that increase your size and strength, though items can cover that second part, along with (thematically) spells that are strong against "true evil" creatures; I'm thinking along the lines of Holy Word for Outsiders, though since you're Grappling and will be in easy touch range anyway, you probably don't need anything other than your basic Heal to take out Negative Energy-powered Undead.

The best thing about an unarmed strike Cleric is using a Wand or Scroll of Greater Mighty Wallop to max out your fist's damage. Falcon Punch everything into Submission! PAWNCH!

Admittedly, I'm super hype about a certain thing, which is why I can't help but recommend anything that involves punching people recently... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e70_ypdJS2I)

EDIT: Oh, and I recommend against races with even a single LA unless your DM is going to allow buyoff reasonably quickly if not immediately. Losing even a single caster level is so much more of a hindrance than lower Strength.

A Dragonborn avoids losing a spellcaster level and gets a strength bonus, plus other special abilities. And it'd be thematically appropriate, too!

shylocke
2014-02-16, 04:18 AM
Sorry. Quoted wrong post.

INoKnowNames
2014-02-16, 04:24 AM
Sorry. Quoted wrong post.

Ah. Heh. I've had that happen more than once.

I swear there was another Cleric/Monk class in one of the Dragon Magazines that you could go into after Sacred Fist so you could keep up casting levels and keep punching more.... though it is Dragon Magazine, so bnyech.

Vrock_Summoner
2014-02-16, 04:27 AM
Dragonborn gets a Constitution bonus, not a strength bonus. Though I won't argue against the fact that it's thematic, and I highly recommend it as long as your base race doesn't have anything worth keeping.

INoKnowNames
2014-02-16, 04:41 AM
Dragonborn gets a Constitution bonus, not a strength bonus. Though I won't argue against the fact that it's thematic, and I highly recommend it as long as your base race doesn't have anything worth keeping.

Ah, yeah, the player that helped me first remember it was using it on a half-orc, right...

Firechanter
2014-02-16, 04:56 AM
Isn't there a feat somewhete that allows you to deal nonlethal damage with normal weapons without penalty?

Otherwise, Merciful Weapon is a cheap enhancement and fits the bill. Since it's mostly a flavour thing, I'd consider making it even cheaper, e.g. fixed 3000gp instead of +1 Bonus.

INoKnowNames
2014-02-16, 05:04 AM
Otherwise, Merciful Weapon is a cheap enhancement and fits the bill. Since it's mostly a flavour thing, I'd consider making it even cheaper, e.g. fixed 3000gp instead of +1 Bonus.

We tried to get one of those for a Frenzied Berserker in 1 game.

"I do 600 damage per hit!"

"The dragon falls asleep due to non-lethal."

weckar
2014-02-16, 05:06 AM
Falls asleep? That's a completely different tactic. Also a completely different status from unconscious.

INoKnowNames
2014-02-16, 05:11 AM
Falls asleep? That's a completely different tactic. Also a completely different status from unconscious.

True, but it still made us all laugh. Rather than stab it to death, he knocked it out. :smallbiggrin:

Vrock_Summoner
2014-02-16, 05:15 AM
Player 1:"Alright, my punch ought to seal the deal against this dragon with all the hax I have behind it. However, I'd like to make it nonlethal. Then I can question it later."

Player 2: "What even is nonlethal damage, anyway? I figure if you're punching it hard enough to do that much damage, some arbitrary tag such as 'subdual' shouldn't make that punch so different from any other punch that it doesn't break the dragon in half."

DM: "The dragon gets heat stroke from your sheer seering awesomeness and falls unconscious."

Players: "YESSSS!"

Sian
2014-02-16, 07:03 AM
while not qualifying as a Cleric, i'd take a look at Beguiler ... what they have of direct damage magic is all(? ... nearly?) subdual ... they might very well be those getting the most bang for their buck out of Vow of Nonviolence

Azoth
2014-02-16, 07:11 AM
Why worry about real armor when you have Luminous and Greater Luminous armor.

If you are playing a pacifist, I can highly recomend looking into spells that disuade people from attacking you, and then sculpting them since most are AoE BFCs. Ice Slick, obscuring mist, bewildering substitution, nauseating breath, ect. Basically, shift the balance of the fight so it turns one sided to an obvious degree and then offer them to surrender.

Subdual Spell metamagic might be something to look into as well. If you decide to blast at all, you can change the damage type so as not to kill anyone.

BoED also has several weapons that deal nonlethal damage so they might be worth looking into instead of punching people stupid.

Drachasor
2014-02-16, 07:43 AM
Make sure your party is onboard with this.

Personally I'd love trying to make a non-lethal guy, but I know it would never, ever work with my group. If the see a goblin, almost no matter the context, they want to kill it.

Psyren
2014-02-16, 10:59 AM
Beguiler with Vow of Nonviolence is a good one. Use your spells to confuse enemies and control the battlefield without hurting them, and take advantage of the +4 DC to make the more powerful enchantments/illusions stick. For once enchantments will be a good idea because the enemies weakest to them (humanoids and monstrous humanoids) are the only ones covered by your vow - all the rest can be handled normally, such as with Shadow Evocations. Throw in Exalted Arcanist and you will pick up some firepower to use against outsiders and undead, e.g. Heavenly Lightning and Bolt of Glory. Finally, at the capstone you add every Exalted spell in the game to your spells known.

atomicwaffle
2014-02-16, 11:53 AM
Get a permanency spell with detect evil placed on you.

also inquisitor bracers from the magic item compendium are HILARIOUS

N0RKS
2014-02-16, 12:38 PM
Seriously though, I am not getting a "Actual Pacifist who only slays undead and constructs, and technically not even Demons or Devils" vibe from the op. I'm getting a "Martial Pacifist who fights evil but only kills when it is absolutely mandatory" vibe..

Yeah pretty much this, I guess pacifist is the wrong word, (paciFIST maybe? :smalltongue: )

It seems like sacred fist is something to look up, and using magical items to cover for the mechanical limits of the concept. Does anyone have a good list of feats for unarmed combat? Or should I be less lazy and go look it up myself? :smallbiggrin:

Piggy Knowles
2014-02-16, 12:45 PM
It's usually not that effective of a class, but Justiciar has some nice options for this.

I'd go with something like elan or synad, factotum 8/justiciar 8/warblade 4. Pick up pounce somehow - Shape Soulmeld (Sphinx Claws) and Open Least Chakra (Hands) ought to do it - and get wraithstrike and alter self via wands and arcane dilettante. Attack and pounce with all touch attacks for eleven attacks, each one dealing bonus nonlethal damage and a point of Strength damage. 11 points of Strength damage is a nice way to mess up just about anyone's day, not to mention the passel of nonlethal damage you'll deal.

For when you DO need to kill enemies, take the Death Blow feat. Close with your enemy via Sudden Leap, make a grapple attempt to hog-tie them (making them helpless via Improved Hog-tie), and then use Cunning Surge to get an additional standard action. Keep a scythe with a weapon crystal of return to quick draw it, then use your Cunning Surge action to coup de gras them. (Kudos to OMG PONIES for the hog-tie/cunning surge/death blow trick.)

lord pringle
2014-02-16, 12:49 PM
Player 1:"Alright, my punch ought to seal the deal against this dragon with all the hax I have behind it. However, I'd like to make it nonlethal. Then I can question it later."

Player 2: "What even is nonlethal damage, anyway? I figure if you're punching it hard enough to do that much damage, some arbitrary tag such as 'subdual' shouldn't make that punch so different from any other punch that it doesn't break the dragon in half."

DM: "The dragon gets heat stroke from your sheer seering awesomeness and falls unconscious."

I laughed hard enough that my cat thinks I'm weird. Thanks.:smallbiggrin:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-02-16, 12:52 PM
Go Beguiler (PH2) into Apostle of Peace (BoED), then start taking Mystic Theurge as soon as possible. Beguiler gets tons of spells that deal nonlethal damage, all the skills you would need to be a diplomatic type of character, and their spell list has a solution to just about any noncombat problem you'll ever run into.

Vow of Peace/Nonviolence requires that opponents who are defeated cannot be executed unless they're given a fair trial. If you have someone in the party (or a cohort) who has the authority to give them a trial on the spot, including sentencing and executing them (think Judge Dredd), then it will get around this limitation that's imposed on the party.

nedz
2014-02-16, 01:13 PM
Forthing the Beguiler. It takes quite a bit of Op Fu to even get them to do damage even if you want to.

Have Bahamut as your patron deity and pick up some more spells with Arcane Disciple. I'd suggest some domains, but I suspect that you already have a good angle on those.

Dip Divine Oracle for the Oracle domain too — assuming you want to be able to find those evil-doers. Two levels would get you evasion.

NichG
2014-02-16, 01:20 PM
If you ever get high enough level for it, the spell 'End to Strife' is fun - deal 20d6 non-lethal damage to anyone who makes an attack within its area of effect, every time they make an attack. Slap Immunity to Mind Affecting on your fellow PCs and its basically very one-sided.

INoKnowNames
2014-02-16, 02:21 PM

Kung Fu Panda taught me that over-exposure to sheer awesomeness can cause blindness, even in the most disciplined warriors. :smallbiggrin:

Why worry about real armor when you have Luminous and Greater Luminous armor.

See, another good up for the Sacred Fist: You don't need weapons, and you've got armor that's even better than most regular armor, in addition to your own wisdom bonus. You can spend all that money on any toy in the world that you want.

If you are playing a pacifist, I can highly recomend looking into spells that disuade people from attacking you, and then sculpting them since most are AoE BFCs. Ice Slick, obscuring mist, bewildering substitution, nauseating breath, ect. Basically, shift the balance of the fight so it turns one sided to an obvious degree and then offer them to surrender.

For some reason, I just imagined someone covering themselves in Ice Crystals and various gases...

Subdual Spell metamagic might be something to look into as well. If you decide to blast at all, you can change the damage type so as not to kill anyone.

I've wanted to make a Non-Lethal Mailman for so long, just to be able to pretend I'm playing Touhou whenever I cast a spell. Firing up to 200 Orbs of Non Violent Fire and fluffing it as this would be just the best. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVXRTspphP0&feature=player_detailpage#t=124)

BoED also has several weapons that deal nonlethal damage so they might be worth looking into instead of punching people stupid.

But punching people stupid is super big fun!

Make sure your party is onboard with this.

Personally I'd love trying to make a non-lethal guy, but I know it would never, ever work with my group. If the see a goblin, almost no matter the context, they want to kill it.

That's the main reason I'm trying to disuade from going the entire Vow Route on a new player. It can end very badly if done by a group that is inexperienced. The Paladin is probably easier to play than a Vow of Peace character. Though I've never actually played a straight Paladin, at least it doesn't outright penalize allies just because they disagree with you, and if you make a mistake with it, you can still fix it.

Yeah pretty much this, I guess pacifist is the wrong word, (paciFIST maybe? :smalltongue: )

See, I was going to feel bad for suggesting the Sacred Fist and getting all hype for punching, but then I checked your op post again, and saw that I was not only guessing correctly the kind of character you wanted, but also suggested a class that complemented something you wanted to do directly. So now I feel smug for it.

It seems like sacred fist is something to look up, and using magical items to cover for the mechanical limits of the concept. Does anyone have a good list of feats for unarmed combat? Or should I be less lazy and go look it up myself? :smallbiggrin:

Well, if you want to qualify without any monk levels, you'll need to take Combat Casting, Improved Unarmed Strike, Combat Reflexes, and Stunning Fist, all on your own time. If you take 2 levels of Monk, though, you'll gain all but Combat Casting as free bonus feats.

For increased damage, Superior Unarmed Strike helps add to your Monk Level for your fists, Snap Kick helps you get an additional attack, and Improved Natural Attack works with your fists by RAW, and is a great way to boost those numbers.

One thing I like doing, if your Dm is lenient, is taking the Two Weapon Fighting line, or at least the base feat and using Gloves of the Balanced Hand to pick up another attack. This requires them letting you consider each individual fist it's own weapon, though. Not quite as clear cut as Improved Natural Attack.

I rather like the idea of Intuitive Attack for getting Wisdom to your most important save, armor class, and to hit with your main offense (as well as up to twice daily to that damage as well), but if you want to do some Grappling, Tripping and whatnot, you'll need good strength anyway, so it's your call on what you do there.

Isn't there a way to get weapon enhancement upgrades to apply to one's natural attacks? If so, I know there was one that allows you to heal yourself a bit whenever you hurt someone else (though I don't know quite how that works when the damage is non-lethal): with Combat Reflexes, if you decide to have enough dex, you could also take Robilar's Gambit, and beat someone every time they hit you, in addition to healing off some of the damage they do.

That should be enough food for thought for you to research and figure something out. :smalltongue:

Oh, and I did find a thread about some suggestions for a Dragonborn (X). (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178188) Very much do consider the Dragonborn.

while not qualifying as a Cleric, i'd take a look at Beguiler ... what they have of direct damage magic is all(? ... nearly?) subdual ... they might very well be those getting the most bang for their buck out of Vow of Nonviolence

I will agree with the others that a Beguiler does make decent use of the feat.

I laughed hard enough that my cat thinks I'm weird. Thanks.:smallbiggrin:

I know, right? That's totally awesome.

If you ever get high enough level for it, the spell 'End to Strife' is fun - deal 20d6 non-lethal damage to anyone who makes an attack within its area of effect, every time they make an attack. Slap Immunity to Mind Affecting on your fellow PCs and its basically very one-sided.

My only objection here is that by that level, most enemies will also be picking up defenses against Mind Affecting; otherwise that's indeed a very fun spell.

shylocke
2014-02-16, 03:01 PM
If you take the nimbus of light feats from exalted, does the DMG against undead counter the nonviolence and peace feats? It not an attack that causes DMG. Its the fact that you emit holy light.

Psyren
2014-02-16, 03:15 PM
Neither Vow of Peace nor Vow of Nonviolence care about undead.

For the record, VoNV only applies to humanoids and monstrous humanoids. You can beat the crap out of outsiders, undead, animals, plants etc. just fine.

Vow of Peace is the crazy one, because it requires you be nice to demons, mindflayers, oozes, plants, chromatic dragons and other such nasties. It also penalizes you more heavily if the party doesn't go along with your nagging, and has more opportunities for the DM to screw with you. I personally advise ignoring it and sticking with Vow of Nonviolence if you truly want to be a mechanical pacifist.

Drachasor
2014-02-16, 04:35 PM
Clearly you need to focus on getting Polymorph Other and then turn your enemies into things it is ok to kill!

Zetapup
2014-02-16, 04:36 PM
Isn't there a way to get weapon enhancement upgrades to apply to one's natural attacks? If so, I know there was one that allows you to heal yourself a bit whenever you hurt someone else (though I don't know quite how that works when the damage is non-lethal): with Combat Reflexes, if you decide to have enough dex, you could also take Robilar's Gambit, and beat someone every time they hit you, in addition to healing off some of the damage they do.

Yup, the Necklace of Natural Weapons from Savage Species lets you get weapon enhancements to natural attacks (even silly stuff like throwing. In fact, the example enhancement given is a throwing returning natural attack. Don't ask how). SS is 3.0 though, so your dm may not allow it. I believe the enchantment you're thinking about is Vampiric? I'm also unsure how it interacts with nonlethal damage.

shylocke
2014-02-16, 04:39 PM
Clearly you need to focus on getting Polymorph Other and then turn your enemies into things it is ok to kill!

Isn't that still violent? Polymorph leaves them as a sentient being.

Tokiko Mima
2014-02-16, 05:26 PM
I'd say.. begin your career with 2 levels of lawful evil monk of violence!!!, then "accidently" put on a Helm of Opposite Alignment, and have a change of heart with your new pacifist CG Warlock levels, taking Eldritch Claws and Beast Strike feats as they become available. Now you can punch people with double unarmed + eldritch non-lethal force, or even non-lethally Hellfire Punch them with a certain PrC. :smallbiggrin:

nedz
2014-02-16, 05:59 PM
Neither Vow of Peace nor Vow of Nonviolence care about undead.

For the record, VoNV only applies to humanoids and monstrous humanoids. You can beat the crap out of outsiders, undead, animals, plants etc. just fine.

Vow of Peace is the crazy one, because it requires you be nice to demons, mindflayers, oozes, plants, chromatic dragons and other such nasties. It also penalizes you more heavily if the party doesn't go along with your nagging, and has more opportunities for the DM to screw with you. I personally advise ignoring it and sticking with Vow of Nonviolence if you truly want to be a mechanical pacifist.

I agree with this especially since Vow of Peace can nerf any friendly Barbarian or Bard with it's Aura of Calm Emotions.

Drachasor
2014-02-16, 10:24 PM
Isn't that still violent? Polymorph leaves them as a sentient being.

Vow of Peace excludes Undead and Constructs. So Polymorph someone into an Undead or Construct and you are good to go! Vow of Non-Violence is easier, since it only applies to humanoids and monstrous humanoids. Other things aren't really "people."

Juntao112
2014-02-16, 10:25 PM
Dropping them with non-lethal damage would be best, he isn't adverse to other characters battling to the death but he might try and stop them from killing those who are already defeated.

You are no pacifist if you let others kill in your stead. Pacifism is not the act of abstaining from violence; if that were true, cowards would be great pacifists.

Pacifism is the opposition to violence out of ethical concerns. If you are party of a group of muderhoboes and let them do things like battle to the death, you are being a poor pacifist.

Anyways, being willing to fight people and kill evil things pretty much excludes you from calling yourself a pacifist. You want a character who objects to excessive violence.

Races and feats aren't terribly important; I suggest you load up on buffs and crowd control spells for situations when you don't want to cause much harm.

Mandark
2014-02-16, 11:38 PM

Just rember that you only have to deal enough non-lethal/ subdual damage = to there current hp do knock them unconscious. or as a friend once said...
Player "My gun does 8d10+9 damage. He has 91 Hp. therefore, its non-lethal."
Rolls Nat 20. craters wall.

Or for a more pratical way, Blunt arrows and multishot/Rapid shot/ some sort of arrow clone enchantment on the bow.

NichG
2014-02-17, 12:46 AM
One fun thing about non-lethal damage, it makes surviving lethal damage a lot more probable. Drop about 20 non-lethal damage on every enemy and now they need to be overkilled by 30hp instead of just 10hp for a strike to kill them outright.