2007-01-29, 12:02 PM
Perfect comic

Korith
2007-01-29, 12:03 PM
*Grin*

Let the fun begin!

KeiranHalcyon
2007-01-29, 12:03 PM
I knew it... Hello, Miko, the Fighter-Without-Bonus-Feats!

Drakuul
2007-01-29, 12:04 PM
Great last words before he croaked.

And a lovely (and moderately subtle) use of the Chinese zodiac

chibibar
woo hoo.... I love it... down with miko!

BTW: love the stick figure version of the 12 animals :) so cute!

fwiffo
Well, I guess that answers that question. I think even Miko (and her tenuous connection to relaity) detected something is up.

I don't like the title of 407. But Shojo is excellent as always. I hope title is not a comment about him.

Ack.... Crosses for eyes in last panel. It is about him. :(

mdvk1012
2007-01-29, 12:05 PM
Well deserved for Miko!

Solarious
2007-01-29, 12:05 PM
Awww. Now, the only question is will Miko travel the well-trodden path of cliche, or will she be able to rise above the compelling power of the Story?

Only the Giant can tell.

kerberos
2007-01-29, 12:06 PM
So a Paladin falling drains the colour from your clothe. I wonder if it removes stains as well.

Also: /gloats.

NamelessArchon
2007-01-29, 12:06 PM
Let there be no doubt: Miko has fallen.

Fredricus
2007-01-29, 12:07 PM
That was great!

Now Belkar will be happy for witnessing it!

Flynn_Serlant
She had what was coming to her. Now... how will she react? Further anger at the OOTS for deceiving her into losing her powers (as she may believe)? Or possibly seeing the error of her ways, and stop acting like a "skinny, self-righteous uptight ass", as Roy so aptly put it?

Can't wait for Wednesday. :smallsmile:

Liquid
Do you think that now Miko would probably want to atone, seeing how the Gods took her powers away from her, and feel sorry?

Archaicwonder
plot-errific!

Swordguy
AND....there she goes.

I'd say that's a pretty unambiguous response to the whole "Does Miko deserve to lose her paldinhood?" thing.

EDIT: And Shojo is definitely dead now. Little X's and everything. Hurry up clerics!

Izodor
I like it,

in one word: Masterly

Miko, the fallen samurai has been born.

Great job, Giant.

Green Bean
Awesome. So very awesome.

Did I mention awesome?

Sylian
2007-01-29, 12:08 PM
That was unexpected! I wonder how Miko will react.

ltda
2007-01-29, 12:09 PM
Ooooooh, Shojo is SO badass. :smallbiggrin:

Glyde
noooo! The x's means he's surely dead!

Great last words though.

Mawhrin Skel
It's mighty impressive of Shojo to get a last sentence out whilst cut in half.

Caranthir
Heh, absolutely loved the fact that Shojo managed to pronounce these last words. Well deserved, Miko Miyazaki. :smallamused: Here ya go, lousy fighter.

BTW: love the stick figure version of the 12 animals :) so cute!

Same here :smallbiggrin: .

moryath
I knew it... Hello, Miko, the fighter without bonus feats!

And about time, too.

Erimore
2007-01-29, 12:10 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And down she goes!!!!!!!!

Sweet....and a most excellent method.

Love it!

jono
Cool beans.

Meh, a fallen paladin. Of course, that's never really been much of a stopper; considering how they can trade in all their levels for a suit of black fullplate. And last time I checked there was an evil outsider sitting in the dungeon that would probably make for peaceful contact.

Elcaz
This one wasn't all that funny, but the plot MUST move along and sometimes a punchline isn't the way to do it. Loved how the Azurians have cute looking chinese horoscope gods.

Too bad about Shojo. He was funny. :(

Wonder how Miko will fare against Belkar and if he'll fulfill his prophecy with her.

chibibar
BTW.. I notice that Miko lost the blue colors too.... Blue = Paladin?

also since having a stick up your butt is a class feature... does the stick also get removed? ;)

Sothicus
Damn... this story is getting good. Now every comic page is like a cliffhanger til the next one.

earlallison
2007-01-29, 12:11 PM
Excellent comic, thanks!

Miko got what she deserved for killing a defenseless old man, I just hope she learns from it.

Take it and run.

Snake-Aes
Fallen.

A sign the Twelve Gods aren't dumb.
Nice representation on how a paladin falls, my concept is that the paladin doesn't even know what happened until he first tries to use one of his powers ^.^

Ravenwind
*dusts off screen name to respond*

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Wonderful set up, wonderful follow-through, on the persona of someone who follows a code blindly, without compassion and wisdom to temper their pride, and falls because of it.

Oh, and the art was spiffy, too. :) I half-wonder if Durkon might've felt the passage of the divine power through the air, wherever he is. Or noticed the really big lightning bolt.

Nothing like a DM's clue-by-four to the head at close range. :)

*waits for more*

Castaras
2007-01-29, 12:13 PM
And thus begins the question of whether Xykon is going to get a blackguard joining him in battle...

ufo
Awesome comic!

I think Miko will rage and kill anything in range :smallamused:

Nah, probably not. Cool anyways :smallbiggrin:

warmachine
In our world, the gods demand adherence to faith. In the OotS world, it seems the gods demand adherence to reason. Miko has learnt this the hard way.

Jefepato
Best last words ever.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-29, 12:14 PM
BOOYAH!

That was unexpected!
You have GOT to be kidding...

Baru
2007-01-29, 12:14 PM
Miko no longer has a cause, no motive. What will she do now? Bahahah....

Purre
2007-01-29, 12:15 PM
Wow... gotta love instant feedback.

Miko has now a lot to atone for. And even if she does it, she may still die, for regicide is not offense one can take lightly. And Hinjo... he has to now take the lead at one of the most inopportunate moments. Good luck, mate!

motorfirebox
2007-01-29, 12:15 PM
what would be neat is if she traded in her paladin levels for blackguard--and fought against Xykon and his army. i'm always a sucker for bad guys who fight worse guys.

oh, and i like the way her colors changed when she fell. neat detail.

Deuce
2007-01-29, 12:16 PM
Wow - the gods are going to make her wear tan? That is harsh!

KeiranHalcyon
2007-01-29, 12:16 PM
Well, I guess that answers that question. I think even Miko (and her tenuous connection to relaity) detected something is up.

I don't like the title of 407. But Shojo is excellent as always. I hope title is not a comment about him.

Ack.... Crosses for eyes in last panel. It is about him. :(

It's about so many things - Shojo's fading life, yes, but I think mostly about Miko's fading power, grace, and clothing.

Oh, and I do believe that a raise dead will be in order... if the city survives the onslaught of Xykon.

Adeptus
2007-01-29, 12:18 PM
W00t!

That's how to do it! Divine favour is a big thing, and losing it should come with thunder. Very greek.

This almost makes me feel bad for Miko. Actually it does, even if the murderous little mental patient well deserves what she got. (the ambivalent feeling is just proof of mr. Burlew's storytelling talent.)

Sylian
2007-01-29, 12:19 PM
It appears that Shojo was the only mortal who saw Miko fall.
Poor Belkar.

Evil_Pacifist
2007-01-29, 12:25 PM
Ha. Victory is mine!

(And other people's too.)

silvadel
2007-01-29, 12:30 PM
Oops -- big oops... The gods did that in a very flashy way WITHOUT SAYING WHY. She will not take this well.

In fact I have a funny feeling this will make her pull a raistlin. I REALLY do not see her as apologizing at this point and I do see her anger being funneled against the 12 gods now. She is in the middle of a psychotic break and that method the gods used was just what was needed to completely push her over to the other side.

IE I see the words "So Be IT" and then a swearing of an oath of revenge and the cloak changes color yet again

Amon Star
2007-01-29, 12:33 PM
Is it wrong that I can't stop laughing at this comic? Probably.

Shojo's last words were SO cool. Even when dying he can bring us one more sarcastic quip. Classic.

The question is now, will :miko: internalise or externalise the blame for the BLATENT fall. Who knows? At least The 12 gave her one less thing to be deluded about.

You have GOT to be kidding...

I think Sylian ment the display.

Anthea
2007-01-29, 12:34 PM
Hm... "Not everyone agrees with your analysis" and keep smiling.

As far as I know Miko and sarcasm, those are two worlds apart. But I think she will get the point this time anyway, colorless as she is by now.

Paramajic
2007-01-29, 12:34 PM
Best .... last words ...... ever!

Again poor Shojo.

Great work Giant.

Also there does appear to be a cure for the Paladin Blues.

Coffee_Dragon
2007-01-29, 12:46 PM
I don't think she actually fell. It's more of a friendly tickle. "OK, you killed the bad guy, but you got blood all over the sacred throne, and that's bad. Now wear tan for a while."

Behold_the_Void
2007-01-29, 12:47 PM
I think the stick up the butt in Miko's case is innate.

I loved this one. The fall from grace was rather... rumbleworthy.

SteveMB
Fallen.

A sign the Twelve Gods aren't dumb.
Nice representation on how a paladin falls, my concept is that the paladin doesn't even know what happened until he first tries to use one of his powers ^.^
I think this is a special case -- Miko didn't merely fall; she seriously damaged the effort to protect the gates (and thus endangered everything, including the gods themselves). That was serious enough for direct and obvious divine intervention.

Leatherman
the only response to that can be...

"Holy boop!"

:eek:

Swordguy
2007-01-29, 12:48 PM
Poor Belkar.

Where on earth are you getting that idea? Hinjo, Roy, and Belkar are right there...in the first panel.

PaladinFreak
2007-01-29, 12:48 PM
I have to agree with you about those last words.

CHEW ON THAT, MIKO!

Oh and, DIE SIMU-NINJAS! ALL FIVE OF YOU!

Sky_Schemer
2007-01-29, 12:49 PM
Is that...a See 'N Say?

I think I used to play with the 12 Gods when I was about two years old. :smallbiggrin:

Lord Zentei
That was great!

And perhaps he will be a mite sore for not having orchestrated the event personally.

On another note, having the most powerful paladin of the city fall just before an invasion is not such a great turn of events. Hinjo has his work cut out for him now.

Best .... last words ...... ever!

Again poor Shojo.

What about the clerics who were due to raise the court Wizard any moment now? They could simply raise Shojo instead, yes?

ozmar
DOH!!!!

I guess I was wrong.

Losing your paladin powers in this world may be hard to do, but its not exactly subtle when it happens.

Bet she's upset about this.

Two possibilities:

1. :miko: "So! Even the gods have betrayed me! I'll never abandon my ideals! I'll show them all!" -> Blackguard

2. :miko: "I've been so wrong! I allowed my pride to overwhelm my judgement. I can never repay for my crimes, but I shall try..." -> Long road to redemption.

Not sure which I would prefer, but either seems likely to be the most entertaining story in webcomicsdom.

Ozmar the Thoroughly Entertained

Grod_The_Giant
HA!! Miko Falls!

Runolfr
2007-01-29, 12:50 PM
It is a sad thing to see a paladin fall.

Let us hope that she takes the road to atonement.

Baldknight
2007-01-29, 12:50 PM
Yay for unmistakable godly wrath and glowy lights.

Poor Shojo, someone call a rez team.

I like the expressions on the gods faces as well, the monkey looks sad, the bull and tiger look angry and the pig looks really shocked.

vanyell
2007-01-29, 12:51 PM
heh... the great fall of miko.

really liked the robes changing colour. either black for just bing a non palidin, or black for blackguard. either way kick (swear)

Siberys
Shojo's last words were SO cool. Even when dying he can bring us one more sarcastic quip. Classic.

In many ways Shojo reminds me of Picard. Going out laughing in a pool of your own blood may be part of it, but they just seem so... alike :smallcool:

Twilight Jack
So I notice that the southern gods definitely qualify as interventionist. That didn't even take as long as a "Diety's Paladin Satisfaction Survey." Must have been a unanimous looking down from heaven and a collective, "Oh, no you didn't!!!"

The honest illusionist
I don't think she actually fell. It's more of a friendly tickle. "OK, you killed the bad guy, but you got blood all over the sacred throne, and that's bad. Now wear tan for a while."

Wow, what a bunch of over dramatic tan coloured clothing loving gods.

pendell
Comments:

1) I do not think Belkar will be happy about this. He wanted to CAUSE Miko's fall, and now someone else has done it for him. He won't be happy about this because HE was not responsible.

2) I note that Miko is NOT a blackguard now, but a plain fighter -- notice the palette shift from blue-and-white to brown-on-brown. I think to go blackguard her color would shift to match Redcloak's -- black with red highlights. The opposite, I note, of her original lawful white with blue highlights.

Now the real cliffhanger -- what does she do?
Will this finally be enough of a clue-by-four for her to change her ways?

Or will she do what she did every last time she had an argument with Durkon or otherwise got some information that didn't fit her view of the world -- look puzzled for a frame or two, then go raging on her set course all the more?

This panel -- and the next -- are the true test of her character. I am looking forward to it.

I have to wonder if the Giant didn't put in this panel to leave *absolutely no doubt* in our minds that Miko is no longer a paladin.

My prediction is that Miko will go blackguard. That saddens me something awfully, but the Giant has made a specific point of
foreshadowing all the relevant feats (monk ability to hide, for example).

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Dragontail
Oh, how she's fallen...

Great comic as usual Giant, you've a grand sense of story.

silvadel
Oh and yes -- if Xykon is watching and Redcloak is watching -- there will be beers all around over there.

Solara
That. Was. Pure. Awesome.

So much for the 'Miko falls and/or becomes a Blackguard without realizing it' theory. Sure, that would have been cool too, but nothing quite beats the idea of the gods coming down and personally, publically laying the smackdown on her. :smallbiggrin:

Didn't come a moment too soon, either - there are only so many ridiculous alignment arguments I can take in one weekend, by this morning I was pretty much driven to the breaking point.

I must not have been the only one camped out here, though...I was posting, then I suddenly noticed #407 was up, then the forums actually froze up on me, and even after abandoning all thoughts of posting was several desperate minutes before I could get the strip to load!

Totally worth it though. :cool:

Edit: And oh yes, at least Shojo got some great final words in. I really hope this isn't the last time we see him, though. *sniff* I'm gonna miss that guy... (And I still want a strip where he and Roy's dad get to invisibly observe everybody while making snarky remarks about the living!)

Sampi
2007-01-29, 12:52 PM
Thank you, mr. Burlew. I have been waiting for this.

Good lightshow - way to go, twelve gods. That sound effect for the lightning, do I hear a choir singing fortissimo?

beholder
HAHAHA
YOU'RE FALLEN NOW, BITCH

excuse me
i was very fond of lord shojo

WhiteNoise
I said he'd get last words off, tradition and all, didnt think it would be a witty comeback

For those uncertain i think the clincher was breaking the law of Azure city by not imprisioning for trial, the city had been under paladin rule for some time to the Celestial law of the 12 gods was probably in the mundane laws,

i can see a few possibile outcomes from here

1)Repetance before the will of the gods

2)Denial that is actually happened

3)Complete Collapse of the Psyche into utter insanity complete with drooling and rubber walled quaters

4)Denial of the Gods as Miko 'was' right ergo the gods are mistaken or to blame for not correcting Miko's mistake and 'letting' this happen (welcome to the Dark Side and Blackguard)

5)Homicidal revenge attack on the immediate surrounding people for being 'the cause'

6)Random philosophy switch to embrace this as being confirmation of divine will and serving a higher long term goal
(the super delusional)

these are the ones i can see as being likly next steps

Dont forget also that Shojo's Clerics were on the way to raise the Wizard to port the OotS to Giraud's Gate, as thats no longer such a concern im sure they will be putting the diamond dust to good use on the boss

stabbybelkar
Yah Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

Miko the blackgard is in the HOUSE!!!!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Justinian
Hrm. Never seen such a... "showy" fall before. But hey, if Control Weather can sonic boom because Thor says so, the Twelve can do as the Twelve will.

Athalos
2007-01-29, 12:53 PM
I love the lightning effect for losing her powers. Wonder how she is going to react... Next time on OotS!

Roderick_BR
Alternative titles:
405: Oops
406: OH SHI...!
407: The gods have spoken

Awesome turn of events!
I wonder what will happen to Miko now...

Alfryd
New comic is up.
Ah. Nothing too subtle, then.
Great. MORE suspense-related torment.
Well, thanks at least for keeping the initial wait relatively brief.

Even Miko will be rather hard-pressed to find alternate interpretations of THAT little data set.

I gotta admit, that was pretty cool. Almost worth the overall discombobulation of 406.

Great last words before he croaked.

Agreed.

And Hinjo... he has to now take the lead at one of the most inopportunate moments. Good luck, mate!
I'm surprised Hinjo doesn't look more pissed, actually. Perhaps he will look favourably upon an opportunity to atone... oh dear oh dear.

This almost makes me feel bad for Miko. Actually it does, even if the murderous little mental patient well deserves what she got.

At least The 12 gave her one less thing to be deluded about.
Miko certainly needed an abrupt wakeup-call about her methods and approach, and this was perhaps the only event which would definitively fit the bill. But we still don't know if she won't go blackguard. Still, definite knowledge that she HAS Fallen is probably a good sign for her future development. Now she'll either have to reject Goodness entirely or suck it up and take her punishhment.

Now, if Belkar will just shut the hell up for 15 minutes.

Can't argue with that.

I don't think she actually fell...
I am assuming there's some elaborate joke here I don't get.

The honest illusionist
It is a sad thing to see a paladin fall.

Let us hope that she takes the road to atonement.

That would be way too anticlimactic. Something really bad would have to happen right after that. And the only way Miko could bring honor back to her name in the eyes of her gods in time for that to arrive (Xykon's army) is...

Seppuku!

Ramza00
Thanks Rich, I have a new wallpaper now :D

SteveMB
2007-01-29, 12:54 PM
So much for the 'Miko becomes falls and/or becomes a Blackguard without realizing it' theory.
I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility that she took enough levels of Improved Denial....

Seriously, though, this ought to enough of a clue-by-four even for Miko.

Silvermike
2007-01-29, 12:55 PM
I think there's a fair chance she falls on her sword after this. And while Shojo's clerics can raise dead, there's one mean-spirited necromancer coming this way. Zombie paladin? Zombie blackguard?

Weezer
2007-01-29, 12:56 PM
Finally, Miko has fallen, yay fighter-without-bonus feats:smallbiggrin:!!

Beermancer
I think Belkar will have an evilgasm...

Well deserved, and great last words from Shojo.

Wizzardman
Yay! Let's hope Miko learned a valuable lesson!

...That lesson being: Paranoia = bad.

Maratanos
Hello, Miko the fighter without bonus feats... :biggrin:

Ronald_saveloy

That's theaterical magic: When they die, they can always and their melodramatic death speech.

Xanthos
2007-01-29, 12:57 PM
And thus begins the question of whether Xykon is going to get a blackguard joining him in battle...

Not a chance. It's a very likely possibility that she will become evil, but even still, I can't see her ever allying with Xykon. Instead, one possibility that I posted in another thread:

Miko has shown a complete inability to admit mistakes. If that continues, she won't see herself at fault for the loss of her powers, but will instead blame the gods for allowing this "evil" to occur. And in her usual zealous style, will attempt to eradicate the gods. How does one do this?

The Snarl.

I would be completely unsuprised if Xykon, is defeated once and for all either here or, more likely, at Girrad's Gate, and then the Order of the Stick has to rush to Kragger's Gate to prevent Miko from releasing the Snarl in a climactic final battle. Or, at least, that's how *I*'d write it...

Eriol
Clerics coming to rez wizard: "Our Lord's dead! Sorry wizzie!" **cast True Rez on Shojo**

I hope that MIko can grow from this, I really do. Not th least because I don't like flat characters unless they take a dirtnap within 5 strips of when they're introduced. She hasn't, so I hope for growth, and redemption...
...perhaps with growth so much that she'll even end up saving Belkar's life in the future. Become almost-cliched GOOD rather than lawful.

Sky_Schemer
I do not think Belkar will be happy about this. He wanted to CAUSE Miko's fall, and now someone else has done it for him. He won't be happy about this because HE was not responsible.

He may not see it this way, but there's no doubt he's largely responsible for this. Miko may have had an attitude problem before, but it was Belkar's taunting and threats that really drove her over the edge. That it took several weeks (in-world) to reach this outcome is not strictly relevant. He set the events in motion, and it just took time for the dominos to fall.

mockingbyrd7
Do you think that now Miko would probably want to atone, seeing how the Gods took her powers away from her, and feel sorry?

Absolutely not. She's declining to the dark side, now.

Timespike
2007-01-29, 12:58 PM
Now taking bets as to how long it'll take for Miko to go Blackguard. I'm guessing less than 20 strips. I like paladins. I've PLAYED paladins. Miko is NOT a paladin. She was a blackguard in denial, and now she doesn't have to hide from it any more. That's assuming, of course, that the REAL paladins don't either just cut her down or haul her in for her own trial and she's executed.

Tyriq
My favorite part of this comic is that the lightning bolt says, "oooooooooo!"

I can just hear the schoolgirls in the background, pointing and saying, "You're gonna get in trouble!"

Alfryd
{Belkar] won't be happy about this because HE was not responsible.
Oh, trust me, he'll be gleeful enough. He gave Miko lots and lots of help.

Haruki-kun
NOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Well, there's the answer to the question that's been going around the forums all weekend.

Kyral
Miko has fallen!
I don't know whether to feel happy or to pity her.

Illiander
2007-01-29, 12:59 PM
anyone else notice that the tiger, pig and monkey were all frowning?
and you can't see the expression on the rest

nice detail there Rich

oh, and BOOYAH

ozmar
Poor Belkar.

???

Dude, he's standing right there. *points*

I think that, even with Belkar's low spot check (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0003.html), he'd still notice.

Ozmar the Observant

Renegade Paladin
W00t!

That's how to do it! Divine favour is a big thing, and losing it should come with thunder. Very greek.
Which is ironic, given that the Greco-Roman pantheon got crushed by the Snarl 'ere the remaking of the world. :smallamused:

J_Muller
Yeah, the sound effect was worth a lawl.

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

battleburn
Wow, Miko is a blackguard now?
A hard day for the Miko fanclub I think.
But a lot of people must have made "money" in the bettingagency of the playground.

Anyway, I guess the palladinpowers are really god-granted, not just based on the power of your belief.

I liked the comic and I want to take this opportunity to point everyone to the awesome avatar starring in my sig, made by Abardam.

Thanx again,
-Battleburn

Lilivati
2007-01-29, 01:00 PM
Prediction: Miko is going to hate the OotS even more, and team up with Nale & Co. who are currently in prison.

The Doctor
As I just mailed my friends:

She had it comin'.

Btw anyone else notice we now have the full pantheon:
Rat, bull, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, goat, monkey, chicken, dog, and pig.

The Extinguisher
I see Miko snapping, and swearing vengeance on the gods themselves because they are 'tainted by evil' for not seeing it her way.

Great comic. Everything about it was awesome.

Roderick_BR
Cool beans.

Meh, a fallen paladin. Of course, that's never really been much of a stopper; considering how they can trade in all their levels for a suit of black fullplate. And last time I checked there was an evil outsider sitting in the dungeon that would probably make for peaceful contact.
And I can totally see Nale convincing Miko to help him to "bring true justice to the Order of the Stick"

IronMouse
2007-01-29, 01:01 PM
While part of me is happy to see Miko get what she so richly deserves…another part is terribly sad about it…

Hushdawg
2007-01-29, 01:02 PM
WOOHOO!!!!!!!

Excellent episode!

So, judging from the look on Miko's face, she realizes that she was NOT, in fact doing the will of the gods.

So will she be shocked into no longer being a bitch and making atonement for her misguided ways; or will she go completely over to the dark side (and trade in her now white cape for a black one)?

DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Void_Form
In our world, the gods demand adherence to faith. In the OotS world, it seems the gods demand adherence to reason. Miko has learnt this the hard way.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Zaruthustran
Miko is a fighter now, and Shojo just loses one level of Aristocrat. I mean, "dead" in D&D is just a condition, like "stunned" or "diseased". You can get better. :)

-z

Except, of course, if an evil undead army slaughters your high level clerics.

Maglor_Grubb
2007-01-29, 01:03 PM
Yeah, she's going to be locked up with an evil outsider. :smallbiggrin:

Shojo has been kept alive with magical means. He can't be raised because of old age

clericwithnogod
I test as a CE 1/2 Orc Fighter and a CE Red Dragon on those "what would you be in DND" tests... What do you test as if this is your reaction? "Miko got what she deserved for killing a defenseless old man, I just hope she learns from it." I mean, no prison, no execution...for murdering a defenseless old man?

Ohhhhh, I see, Drow....nevermind.

1337_master
Yes. Strike me down and your path to the dark side shall be complete.:smallbiggrin:

Hilary Moon Murphy
2007-01-29, 01:04 PM
Very nice, Giant. Thank you.

Hmm

Surefoot
heh. I actually thought I'd make the first page when I noticed the "server could not be found" message indicating an update was happening. Stupid me. Too slow on the "refresh" trigger, apparently.

This is nine kinds of awesome. If Miko has *any* shread of reasonableness in her rattled little mind, she simply *has* to now see that she was wrong on a lot of counts. The whole "how could this NOT be a sign??" thing from #406 is answered: "because it wasn't" :smallyuk:

I think Belkar will be even more pleased with the situation. Sure, he wanted to see Miko lose her paladin abilities, and he wanted to be the one who did it . . .but how much more bitter is the pill Miko swallows because her fall was brought on by nothing but her own self-righteousness and pride?? When she nearly killed Belkar, she could have somewhat assuaged her conscience in that she was provoked (because surely she was), but in this case, it was all her, baby. All her.

So I guess the question for her personally is, is she big enough to swallow her ginormous pride and admit she was wrong?? Given her history, how can she not? But, given her history, how can she?!?!?! wheeeeeee

Nu
Doesn't anyway just see Miko completely breaking down and losing it after all this? After all, she fiercely believed she was acting on the behalf of the gods. She's always seen herself as an instrument of the gods' will. Now that the gods have taken her powers, I think she's going to be reduced to a mere shell of a woman, and probably lose all resolve to fight any longer. What does she have to fight for, now that she's no longer an instrument of the gods' will? She's never fought for herself before. Will she start now?

ozmar

I was wondering how long before someone denied her fall or tried to rationalize it away.

44 minutes, apparently.

Denial is more than just a river in Egypt - its a crowded dwelling place.

Ozmar the Accepting

ElfLad
All I can say is finally, she had this long time coming.

Also is this going to be on first page? ^^

Nope. She's had this coming since last comic, although prior events have certainly helped lead to this. But until last comic, it was still completely possible for her to avoid this.

garylian
Well, this comic certainly pokes a lot of holes into the "Miko wont' fall" arguements!

Quick, to the point, and effective.

I don't like Miko as a "person", I must say. But as a character that makes things happen and spices up the comic, she's a brilliant foil for the OotS members. Rich has created a great character that most people can justifiable hate, and yet still find endearing.

Her look of disbelief as she sees her new garments and stares at her hands is perfect. Now we get to see how she reacts to it. And probably even more interesting, is going to be Belkar's reaction.

Giant, you rock!

sun_tzu
Gotta give the gods of the South this much: They don't go for needless subtlety.
And Shojo went out in style.

RyanJ
2007-01-29, 01:05 PM
I look forward to Darth Miko the Blackguard. At least I'm hoping for it anyway. "Fallen" evil characters are so much fun, and have a tendancy to go through sudden personality shifts at critical moments.

Siberys
2007-01-29, 01:06 PM
All this thinking reminds me of the ballistic dwarf and shadowless shadowdancer. I wonder if they'll reappear? I liked them... :smallbiggrin:

Shazzbaa
2007-01-29, 01:06 PM
I usually stay away from these boards, but I just have to say that this recent series of comics has been seriously exciting. I'm so devastated at Shojo's death, and the fall of Miko is... amazing.

Fantastically powerful, Giant. I'm lovin' it.

Mathgeek
2007-01-29, 01:07 PM
Ha ha! My pained moaning last comic was correct! He wasn't quite dead!

Of course, he is now though, so I guess it doesn't matter too much at all.

Also, I like Miko better in the tan/gray colour scheme. Kind of neat looking.

Ave
2007-01-29, 01:08 PM
Oops -- big oops... The gods did that in a very flashy way WITHOUT SAYING WHY. She will not take this well.

They spoke with the mouth of the cut-in-half Shojo, do you think he would be able to talk with leaking lungs?
I wonder how she'll take it, but she will be a piece of cake for Roy and Belkar without her fancy powers.
I expected she will lose her powers silently (now) and the gods don't show up until she frees miss outsider.

Lord of the Helms
Dammit Giant, you've got me all spoilt with those double and triple lengths that I'm disappointed how short this one is :smalltongue:

Nah, really really good stuff. She indeed had the fall coming big time, and nice to see it's done graphically. And yes, excellent last words by Shojo :smallbiggrin:

I think Miko will rage and kill anything in range :smallamused:

Nah, probably not. Cool anyways :smallbiggrin:

I would greatly enjoy it if she did, really. She would totally get her butt handed to her by Roy now that she lost all her Paladin powers :smallamused:

mikeejimbo
My 12 gods!

I so didn't think it would be apparent she fell, and certainly not THAT spectacular.

I also didn't think Shojo would get any more words.

Wow.

lovelyluthien
2007-01-29, 01:09 PM
I exspected it, but it still had me hanging on the edge of my seat. Excellent job, Giant!

Sothicus
2007-01-29, 01:10 PM
My favorite part of this comic is that the lightning bolt says, "oooooooooo!"

I can just hear the schoolgirls in the background, pointing and saying, "You're gonna get in trouble!"

I think it is supposed to be more like divine power from the heavens. I got the impression of a 1000 monks all saying in a low voice "oooooooooooooooooooo".

InuSaga
Even though I saw it coming, nothing really prepares one for that. What will happen to Miko now? Forgive me for caring.

Dragor
Job well done, Giant. Another brill strip.

Tis' a dark day for Miko fans.... but Belkar lovers may rejoice, considering he's got what he always wanted (at the price of Shojo, but Belkar should get over that at some point.)

I'm waiting with anticipation for the next strip... I can't stop thinking of OOTS now!

musicnerd
2007-01-29, 01:11 PM
Wow, that was great! I loved Shojo's last words :smallamused: awesome

Abardam
2007-01-29, 01:11 PM
Oh yes. I can see it now. Miko's going to go B-
-arbarian.

But seriously, tan?

ElfLad
2007-01-29, 01:12 PM
They spoke with the mouth of the cut-in-half Shojo, do you think he would be able to talk with leaking lungs?
I wonder how she'll take it, but she will be a piece of cake for Roy and Belkar without her fancy powers.

Although I expect Hinjo will lock her up. He's a paladin still, y'know.

luagha
2007-01-29, 01:12 PM
Three words: "Go Belkar Go!"
It's a pity he still can't attack anyone in city limits.

Holy_Knight
2007-01-29, 01:13 PM
Although it's sad to see a paladin fall, I really liked the way the falling was depicted. Very nicely done.

I don't like the title of 407. But Shojo is excellent as always. I hope title is not a comment about him.(
I thought that the title was perfect, as it refers both to Shojo and to Miko.

Not a chance. It's a very likely possibility that she will become evil, but even still, I can't see her ever allying with Xykon. Instead, one possibility that I posted in another thread:

Miko has shown a complete inability to admit mistakes. If that continues, she won't see herself at fault for the loss of her powers, but will instead blame the gods for allowing this "evil" to occur. And in her usual zealous style, will attempt to eradicate the gods. How does one do this?

The Snarl.

I would be completely unsuprised if Xykon, is defeated once and for all either here or, more likely, at Girrad's Gate, and then the Order of the Stick has to rush to Kragger's Gate to prevent Miko from releasing the Snarl in a climactic final battle. Or, at least, that's how *I*'d write it...
Xanthos, that is easily the best "Evil Miko" idea I've heard. While personally I hope she finds redemption, if she did turn evil, that's a very cool way for it to play out. Well done.

kten
Lord Sojo is great and the twelve gods have got a wonderful laundry service :smallbiggrin:

Saurous
I wasn't expecting the falling to be so...spectacular. Lord Shojo's final lines made the comic one of my favorites and pushed him higher up on my favorite character list.

Also, the look on the Pig god's face made me laugh.

Chalcara
*registered to say just one thing*

WOHOOOOOOOO! MIKO FELL! MIKO FELL!
*does an evil, meanspirited little dance*

I hated her butt since the first time she was introduced, she sapped alot of fun out of reading OotS for me - this is such a great catharsis!

The Doctor
DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop making dramatic cues for the soon to be evil-blackguard-ex-paladin!

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-29, 01:14 PM
That would be way too anticlimactic. Something really bad would have to happen right after that. And the only way Miko could bring honor back to her name in the eyes of her gods in time for that to arrive (Xykon's army) is...

Seppuku!
No, traveling the well-worn road to being a blackguard would be anticlimactic. A long, hard redemption would make a better story, just for being one not often told.

MReav
On the other hand, without her paladin class features, she longer has that stick* up her ass.

*By stick, I mean tree that had Ironwood cast on it.

Hel65
She faded away, she faded away...

Twelve gods' depiction is wonderful.

...and here starts Miko's long road to redemption or descent to evil. Hope the first one.

Solara
I see Miko snapping, and swearing vengeance on the gods themselves because they are 'tainted by evil' for not seeing it her way.

Great comic. Everything about it was awesome.

Isn't it obvious that since Shojo was evil all along, he tricked her into following evil gods, only now the RIGHTEOUS and GOOD act of killing him has made her fall from their favor? She needs to atone, yes, but it needs to be done by continuing even more fervently down this path in opposing the evil gods and all who support them, including Hinjo and any other decieved 'paladins' that can't be convinced to repent.

Adder
2007-01-29, 01:15 PM
Poor Shojo, but still... The best Last Words ever

Maryring
This... was a great comic. There is nothing else too say, other than that I have yet another reason to hope that Tuesday is skipped this week.

Turcano
I kind of feel conflicted about this comic; I never expected that a comic that Shojo dies in would make me feel so happy. (Probably has do do with its inevitability from the last one.)

Also, note Shojo's last words: "It appears not everyone agrees with your analysis." Knowing how Rich works, I can't help but feel that that was a shot at some of the people on this board (yeah, you know who you are).

BurntOfferings
2007-01-29, 01:16 PM
Ah, the age old question has been answered.

Q: "What is the sound of a paladin falling?"

A: Thunk.

Grimfist
2007-01-29, 01:16 PM
Excellent comic, I love the way the Giant portrayed the losing of the Gods' favor.

This probably won't happen, but...
Imagine how awesome a scene it would make if Miko was able to convert like half of the remaining paladins to siding with her! Imagine the panel where the lightning comes down from the sky to strike Miko, but have it striking like 50 different locations in the city at once. That would be absolutely amazing.

Alex Kidd
2007-01-29, 01:17 PM
First: Booyah! Fallen Miko! So what we're going to see, super-good atonement Miko, despondent though eventully redeemed wandering swordsman Rourouni Kenshin/Miko, Belkar like Blackguard Miko leading the LG or avatar of the Snarl Kefka Palazzo-Miko.

Second: A moment of silence for Shojo, truly great last words, then think of Shojo and Eugene Reader's Mail. May his sarcasm live forever.

eof
2007-01-29, 01:19 PM
I was wondering how long before someone denied her fall or tried to rationalize it away.

44 minutes, apparently.

Denial is more than just a river in Egypt - its a crowded dwelling place.

Ozmar the Accepting
"[T]hey can teach you how to detect Evil, but not sarcasm?"

darthmoridin
YES!:smallbiggrin:
Wonderful, wonderful, most wonderful way to start the week!

Wallyz
Love the Comic, and love the color coding.
Also, the basic humor of Stick figure diety is still effective.

Miko, the blackguard, was a silly, goofy Chick.
With a blue, no tan, cloak that hid her sword,
and an attitude that made us sick

Zaria
2007-01-29, 01:20 PM
Huzzah! Miko is no longer a paladin! Merely a Fighter-without-bonus-feats! I must say, I am quite pleased that the twelve took her paladin powers in such a flashy way. Now not only does she know, everyone else does as well.

On a side note, I do feel sorry for Belkar, since he didn't get to take her powers himself. However I feel that he will be pleased by the turn of events. Also, I hope he gets to keep Shojo's kitty.

Isn't there a rule in D&D where a fallen paladin can regain paladin-hood by doing some act of atonement and great deed or something? I think Miko would much rather go that route than become a Blackguard.

TakerFoxx
2007-01-29, 01:21 PM
Yes! Who called it? Who called it?

Oh, wait. That was...not me. Never mind.

Coffee_Dragon

Clearly you don't know that beige is the traditional Chinese colour of divine approval.

EmeraldRose
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:smallbiggrin:

Greebo
2007-01-29, 01:22 PM
So her last words were along the lines of "as the highest ranking paladin in the saphire guard I find you guilty of treason"...

... well, she's not the highest ranking paladin anymore. So ...

... WHO takes command? Shojo wasn't a paladin, so a paladin doesn't need to lead them. Can she possibly assume command?

Fingolfin
Wow, splinters are still going through my hands while I write this.. Right punishment, unmatched final words, gods have spoken..

slayerx
That was great!

I think quite the opposite actually... i think Belkar is gonna be throughly pissed off.
I mean, he didn't want to just see Miko fall from paladinhood, he wanted to be the one to cause it. All that work he did to rile up miko was all in vain, it's almost like Shojo stole his kill... i mean, when's the next time he'll find a paladin as unstable as Miko whome he can manipulate into taking an unpaladin like action?

though i could be overesitmating the value of Belkar wanting to make miko fall, and he could just find this whole situation hilarious =p

... WHO takes command? Shojo wasn't a paladin, so a paladin doesn't need to lead them. Can she possibly assume command?
hinjo will take command... despite not being the highest ranking paladin, he was next in line for the azure city throne... so command of the city, and by extension the paladins, falls onto him

Solara
2007-01-29, 01:23 PM
Excellent comic, I love the way the Giant portrayed the losing of the Gods' favor.

This probably won't happen, but...
Imagine how awesome a scene it would make if Miko was able to convert like half of the remaining paladins to siding with her! Imagine the panel where the lightning comes down from the sky to strike Miko, but have it striking like 50 different locations in the city at once. That would be absolutely amazing.

Damn, that would be amazing. I can picture one big panel overviewing the city, like the awesomeness of Durkon's Weather Control spell x1000.

Justinian
2007-01-29, 01:25 PM
I think quite the opposite actually... i think Belkar is gonna be throughly pissed off.

I mean, he didn't want to just see Miko fall from paladinhood, he wanted to be the one to cause it. All that work he did to rile up miko was all in vain, it's almost like Shojo stole his kill... i mean, when's the next time he'll find a paladin as unstable as Miko whome he can manipulate into taking an unpaladin like action?

though i could be overesitmating the value of Belkar wanting to make miko fall, and he could just find this whole situation hilarious =p

Belkar is so mental that he would probably want to help her atone so that he could later make her fall.

There are examples of his similar semi-circular reasoning all throughout the comic.

Spiryt
2007-01-29, 01:25 PM
Poor Shojo :smallfrown:
I could say that good one's always die young , but he definetly wasn't young.:smallbiggrin:

Jester42
2007-01-29, 01:26 PM
I wonder how Miko will take this. With her current psycotic mind set I could see her taking this out on the gods. They can be corrupt too right? This world it too corrupt. I must release the snalr to destoy it for all of our sakes :)

I am also glad to see that belkar got his wish.

xyzchyx
2007-01-29, 01:26 PM
Isn't there a rule in D&D where a fallen paladin can regain paladin-hood by doing some act of atonement and great deed or something? I think Miko would much rather go that route than become a Blackguard.Only if the act that caused the fall from paladinhood was done either under compulsion or charm or else without intent. Neither of these apply (charmed people have swirly-eyes, remember?), so she's lost her paladinhood forever.

tamashii
2007-01-29, 01:27 PM
ridiculously long-time reader, first time poster.

I love bad-guys and Miko was really doing a bang-up job of heading down that path. IMO, I think we just witnessed the creation of one of the best bad-guys ever.

The honest illusionist
2007-01-29, 01:28 PM
Isn't it obvious that since Shojo was evil all along, he tricked her into following evil gods, only now the RIGHTEOUS and GOOD act of killing him has made her fall from their favor? She needs to atone, yes, but it needs to be done by continuing even more fervently down this path in opposing the evil gods and all who support them, including Hinjo and any other decieved 'paladins' that can't be convinced to repent.

So Miko will naturally join Loki of fire, because he's such a funny guy? Maybe Taimat evil queen of dragons because some of her heads are all shiny?

Wait, I've got it! She'll join Banjthulu! The only dark god you'll ever need.

It's perfect. If I were a fallen paladin that's what I'd do.

Justinian
2007-01-29, 01:28 PM
Only if the act that caused the fall from paladinhood was done either under compulsion or charm or else without intent. Neither of these apply (charmed people have swirly-eyes, remember?), so she's lost her paladinhood forever.

No. Anyone can Atone. A succubus can Atone. A Blackguard can Atone. Perhaps you didn't notice in the very first comic where they converted to 3.5 rules?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0001.html

Silver Agent
2007-01-29, 01:29 PM
Yay! Miko has fallen. No subjective morality or such -here-. And yes, she can gain her paladin-hood back. 2E had you unable to if the action was your own doing. 3.5E definitely doesn't, I just looked.

To those hoping she goes on an atonement, though? As someone said, I hope she doesn't. It'd have to focus on it or just be waved away, and I would be unhappy with both, the Miko Hour or just waving it away. :)

cheezewizz2000
2007-01-29, 01:29 PM
Anyone else notice that the spotlight on Shojo's throne went out when he died? I thought that was a nice touch.

Jester42
2007-01-29, 01:30 PM
As a side note I think it would be interesting to see a graph of comic release threads vs how many posts the event generated. It would show interesting trends of how exciting the individual strip was and the increase in OOTS readership.

Solara

I think in hindsight he might enjoy having got to see her fall, but right now he's probably got more pressing things on his mind...like surviving an angry ex-paladin plus Xykon's army plus his Mark of Justice.

I do think he genuinely liked Shojo though and might be inclined to kick some ass in retaliation - just because he's evil doesn't mean he's completely lacking in emotions. (In fact, rage is one he definitely has.

Also, after doing a little more thinking on implausible ways Miko could interpret her fall, maybe she'll just see this as some kind of test of faith, where the gods are trying to see if she'll bravely continue on the correct course of smiting everyone involved in the ZOMG Evil conspiracy!!! (or anyone who stands between her and them) even without her powers?

Drerek
I liked the removal of the blue color as a sign of disfavor from the gods. Nice touch.

Peregrine
2007-01-29, 01:32 PM
BOOYAH. Diiirect hit! :smallamused:

Oh, that was simply beautiful... and it restores my hope for some measure of solidarity in the face of Xykon's invasion. Miko's pride just took a divine beating, so I don't think she's going to be preaching sedition again any time soon...

Turning blackguard, on the other hand, as so many have predicted, is entirely possible.

Conjurer
2007-01-29, 01:33 PM
Gotta give the gods of the South this much: They don't go for needless subtlety.
And Shojo went out in style.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Plus.. brown clothes? The southern gods are wicked with their punishments!

smellie_hippie
2007-01-29, 01:34 PM
Wow.......... just, wow. :smalleek:

Tharj TreeSmiter
2007-01-29, 01:35 PM
I can't wait for Xykon and Redcloak to see the "new" Miko.

Erai
Awww... poor Miko she really dun it now, and all that when she would have had the right to just slap Shojo around a little, he did play her for a fool after all, and for quite some time too... :smalleek:

Couldn't we just put Miko's alignment at "Lawful Overacting"? Pwetty please, Twelve Gods? She did mean well after all. Or at least, she meant "something". I think :smalltongue:

Ing

To paraphrase Catholic theology "Faith without reason is madness"

Solara
2007-01-29, 01:36 PM
Can someone link me to a detailed explanation of Atonement - how it's gotten, when it's applicable, etc?

TheLastOfTheFallen
2007-01-29, 01:37 PM
I read this comic while listening to Lux Aeterna, and it just happened to be timed perfectly to make an awesome experience. Great comic, enough to bring me out of hiding for a post to say just how amazing it is.

Nightfall
2007-01-29, 01:37 PM
No, traveling the well-worn road to being a blackguard would be anticlimactic. A long, hard redemption would make a better story, just for being one not often told.

I agree. A better story would be her battling against overwhelming odds to redeem herself.

Thexare Blademoon
2007-01-29, 01:38 PM
Honestly, I was kinda hoping for something a bit more, uh... subtle.

Tach13
2007-01-29, 01:38 PM
Wow, this is probably the first comic I didn't laugh at, but that's because it obviously wasn't meant to be funny. Outstanding, and can't wait to see how it continues. I'll leave the predictions to others and just enjoy what comes.

Solara
2007-01-29, 01:39 PM

Oh, I imagine they're watching in the crystal ball right now and having the time of their lives. :smallbiggrin: (Er...or is that unlife, in Xykon's case?)

Amiria
Strange, I didn't expect this. Shojo is not evil ?!

Poor Miko. It will be intersting to see how she regains her paladin status.

Vespe Ratavo
Solara: Try here. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/paladin.htm) Go Texas!
Now....I got an idea...Miko the paladin of Tyranny (if you don't know what that is try here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm).) joins the Linear guild.....hmm....

Wikkin
2007-01-29, 01:40 PM
Freakin' incredible!

Ing
2007-01-29, 01:40 PM
Well now we can rule out "the stupid horse" as the one killed by our favorite halfling...can't be summoned by Miko anymore.

malakim2099
2007-01-29, 01:42 PM
Well, first time poster long time reader... :amused:

Have to admit, I was voyuering the reactions, and as a long time D&Der, I was more than a bit shocked that people would even consider that she wouldn't fall from grace for Friday's actions. I agree that she might not go all the way evil yet, but I think an analogy as to Miko's place in the OOTS "campaign" (and apologies if this has been used before) is that of a DM's girlfriend. You know, favored stats, acting like a ****** to the other players, etc.

And now she's been dumped. I have to agree with the sentiment that she's going to find the Linear Guild and go blackguard. I mean, obviously, it's not HER fault, it never is. It's someone ELSE's fault. It was Roy's Fault, Shojo's Fault, and soon it will be Hinjo's Fault and the Gods' Fault.

But she's in pretty good company, with Lucifer, Gabriel from the Prophecy movie, Anakin Skywaker, and all that. :cool:

TheLastOfTheFallen
2007-01-29, 01:43 PM
Please, please tell me you are kidding. Please. Because, if you aren't..yeah.

You're kidding, right?

clericwithnogod
I think Belkar is going to be perfectly happy. He's pretty pragmatic. He didn't mind killing Yikyuk through a roundabout method.

Roy: "You're not helping."
Belkar: "Didn't think I was."

Seems he was nudging just enough to keep the pressure on without being obvious... And, he doesn't even lose XP. Win-Win.

The only downside is that the paladins don't have to empty the litterbox anymore.

Though, it's possible he actually started to like Shojo...his reaction to Hailey putting on the tears about his potion shows that he can like people and care about their opinion of him (he shows this again when he explains to Hailey that he just does things to gross Roy out - whether true or not).

zeratul
goodbye Miko the paladin, hello Miko the fighter without bonous feats!

Swashbuckler
2007-01-29, 01:45 PM
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!

FINALLY! :biggrin:

:miko: has fallen!

... still think Roy should THWAK her, too.

Axorcist
2007-01-29, 01:46 PM
hehe, Belkar even got to see it happen :)

I like the comment about maybe the stick up her a** has been removed also. Maybe we can start liking Miko again. I say again, because in the first few comics I did like her. I appreciated how she cut up the bandit leaders without a thought - it needed to be done.

Or maybe she'll go completely freaking evil. I could see a sort of plot twist where she becomes the Kerrigan of the OOTS world, killing Xycon and taking over his army with Redcloak as her minion. Well, nah, she would probably kill Redcloak first. I'm cool with that. Making Kerrigan into Queen of Blades made her more appealing ;) Quite the bad girl. You know, like, that song, that song by Bowling for Soup. That Girl All the Bad Guys Want song. Good times.

But, since this is Rich; he may do neither, since his plot design is more complex than any story telling tapestry that I could weave. Great last words by Shojo. Would they bother resurrecting someone that old? I suppose Hinjo will have something to say about it. Hmm. If not, RIP Shojo.

Purre
2007-01-29, 01:47 PM
Divine sentence has been carried out, now she has to face also the more Earthly court for her treason.

Movoza
does this mean she has to act evil/neutral?

or does she still go on with her crusade without her powers?

just cant wait...

Charlybob
Damn.

Hope my last words are as good as that, just something really impressive happening and then one last "In your face" before you go. That'd be the best way to go.

Especially if you can get brought back to do it again.

Anyway, dunno about blackguard, but she's definetly going to go with the linears. She can't regain paladin-ness either, it's been building upto this for ages, it'd make it all wasted strips.

Dread
Obviously, Miko
will commit harakiri now.
Before or (propably) after that:
:belkar: : THAT WAS FRIGGIN AWESOME!!!

U2QueenBee
Well, that answers that.

Incidentally, monkeys look funny without noses.

Mentally plushifies the 12 Gods of the East and sits them on her bed. Yay! :smallbiggrin:

otakuryoga
Honestly, I was kinda hoping for something a bit more, uh... subtle.

subtle doesnt work with miko--
Good gods, they can teach you to detect Evil, but not sarcasm??--Shinjo

zeratul
2007-01-29, 01:48 PM
I agree. A better story would be her battling against overwhelming odds to redeem herself.

Yeah but Miko is annoying. It would be more entertaining to watch her suffer her god's and order abandoning her.

Zephra
2007-01-29, 01:50 PM
whoooooo!!!!!!!!!! sad about all of it, but wonderful comic all the same. poor miko! *cries*

V Junior
Awww... poor Miko. She was doing what she thought was RIGHT! THIS SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED!!!! I don't care that she was wrong, BEIGE IS NOT HER COLOUR!!!!

I miss Shojo. I'm gonna put those last words in my siggy! I'm gonna beg for a Shojo smiley!!! I'M GONNA START A SHOJO FAN CLUB!!!!

Filmarillion
My question is to whose side is Hinjo running to with raised arms?

The fallen (literally) and then standing Miko or the deceased Shojo?

Marller
2007-01-29, 01:51 PM
Can someone link me to a detailed explanation of Atonement - how it's gotten, when it's applicable, etc?
Here. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/atonement.htm)(at least one way)
There is still hope for our favorite paladin. :wink:

Steward
Now I finally know which pantheon reigns over Azure City.

Loki_d20
B...B...But who will tend to Mr. Scruffy now???

Darkuwa
Obviously she has not fallen, the gods made her a super paladin, her clothes aren't grey they're silver, showing she still has one upgrade left to go.

Duke of URL
2007-01-29, 01:52 PM
Excellent.

I think we can safely say now that Miko has definitely "fallen" as a Paladin (not that anyone really should have expected otherwise).

This seems to leave us with four options:

Miko attempts to "redeem" herself in the defense of the city, accepting the gods' intervention with all due humilty
Miko follows the path of the traditional Samauri and removes herself from the story permanently, if you get my drift
Miko flees, blames the gods for her failure, and gets corrupted to the "dark side", all the while believing she is the lone voice of "good" (most likely scenario)
Some other plot twist that Rich will throw at us

zeratul
Now I finally know which pantheon reigns over Azure City.

wasn't that pretty obvious? It being asia and all.............

onasuma
The long awaited fall of miko. Lets give a hand for Miko the warrior without bonus feats.

Grasilich
Bam! Miko goes down hard. I want to see her try to fight now without her powers. Roy will dismantle her.

Justinian
2007-01-29, 01:53 PM
Here. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/atonement.htm)(at least one way)
There is still hope for our favorite paladin. :wink:

Yup. Even if Azure City spurns her or is burned to the ground, there's still Durkon.

Bam! Miko goes down hard. I want to see her try to fight now without her powers. Roy will dismantle her.

You're assuming she's in the mood to fight anything. I'm thinking she's not going to get up from that spot, and Xykon's going to be arriving literally any second so Hinjo and the OOTS have other things to deal with.

ozmar
2007-01-29, 01:54 PM
Obviously she has not fallen, the gods made her a super paladin, her clothes aren't grey they're silver, showing she still has one upgrade left to go.

Denial springs eternal.

My detect sarcasm ability seems to be failing for some reason.

Hope I haven't lost my paladinhood...

Ozmar the (Mostly) Certain

Evan
Poor Miko... but it is true Belkar must had an evilgasm... he was looking for that moment since http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0286.html ... the wait was worth it!!

Xi-1
Chinese Zodiac done in stick form, check.
Miko falling from grace and wearing definatively unfashionable colours in Azure City, check.
Shojo gets the last word, check.
Belkar disappointed that HE wasn't the one to cause Miko's fall, pending.
Miko having a holy-crap-I-am-so-[insert expletive deleted here]! moment, in the works.

A serious panel, and Rich shows how it can still rock. Next up is Xykon's invasion, I hope.

And Rich, good job with 'On the Origin of PCs.' Glad you gave the Fore-word to Redcloak, since he didn't appear, and Thog most likely wouldn't have been so articulate.

Solara
2007-01-29, 01:55 PM
subtle doesnt work with miko--
Good gods, they can teach you to detect Evil, but not sarcasm??--Shinjo

SHOJO! His name is SHOJO!!! :smallfurious:

For someone who's supposedly a lot of people's favorite character it's amazing how often everyone gets his name wrong. I guess Xykon gets that treatment too though, even though his at least has the excuse of being difficult to spell...all I'm saying is have a little respect for the dead! (And the undead!)

(Nothing personal - I've just noticed this happening a lot these last couple of days.)

clericwithnogod
2007-01-29, 01:55 PM
A question for the artistic types...

With the way Miko is drawn, is it easier to work with her cloak being beige than black or dark grey? Or, just more visually appealing?

Kind of curious as to whether the beige is a specifica indication of something or if it's used in place of grey or black for artistic reasons...

Beige and grey are both neutral colors, but grey is used for metal a lot. To just change Miko, turning her cloak black would make her legs kind of disappear...or would this be easy to work around?

Neofite
2007-01-29, 01:56 PM
Best Comic EVER!!!!

Toper
2007-01-29, 01:56 PM
Beautiful and amazing. This was a really perfect strip. It's exactly the climax that was needed, and the details are gorgeous and well-thought-out -- look at the sapphire aura of the gods, who are disappointed but still divinely distant and detached, and then the way the blue is drawn up and away from Miko.

Miko would never petition the gods of evil to become a blackguard; that doesn't even make sense. She'll have to atone, but it won't be easy...

Raising Shojo would be anticlimactic at this point; my guess is that the invasion will get in the way.

Movoza
2007-01-29, 01:57 PM
B...B...But who will tend to Mr. Scruffy now???

what about the whole army of paladins in the city? like, same what the paladins were doing when he was alive?

BroodingPaladin
2007-01-29, 01:58 PM
Maybe I'm thick, but I have to admit that I am a little surprised. I seem to recall in the commentary text in "No Cure for the Paladin Blues" that the point was to see how far a Lawful Good alignment could serve as a foil for another Lawful Good aligned group. I'd be surprised that this was as far as Rich could push it.

However, it could also be continued commentary on how some people play Paladins. Maybe I'm stretching it too far, but for some, their unrelenting rigidity in playing the class leading to a not-so-subtle hijaacking of the entire campaign is often a next door neighbor to losing one's Paladin status. Being a Hammerhead is not a class skill for Paladins, it's just that they are often played that way.

Nonetheless, throw my vote toward the 'penance' side of the equation. The shocked look on Miko's face, to me, suggests that not only is she aware of her loss, but that it was predicated on the fact that she was dead wrong in all her conclusions/speculations. My hope would be to see Rich show his opinion on how Paladins could be played once Miko has repented and done the appropriate penance. For a fall this bad, perhaps she will have to slay a major evil like Xykon. That could be a compelling story and force Roy to evaluate the purpose of his own life, why he does what he does, etc.

And I respectfully disagree that Miko's act means she's lost her Paladinhood permanently. But that would be too much typing to explain. :smallwink:

DeathQuaker
2007-01-29, 01:59 PM
Good one. In addition to the light show, I also like seeing Miko literally fall (down the stairs) and drop her sword (symbol of a samurai's station). Good artistic depiction that leaves little question as to what just happened.

Belkar's gotta be in shock or about to pee his pants with laughter. I imagine Hinjo and Roy are mortified for a number of reasons... Shojo's death... and while neither of them liked Miko (especially Roy) this is still huge...

But the possibilities of what could happen next... oh, so, many.... I almost wonder if I should stop reading for a few weeks and then come back and read all the strips at once because the suspense is deadly...

My intended-to-be harmless speculation on possible futures....

1. Hinjo assumes command and has Miko arrested; this puts her into contact with the LG and puts her in the running for Blackguard, as others have also speculated.

2. Miko actually understands the drop of the Cosmic Anvil (TM) when she feels it on her head, and realizes she's been horribly in the wrong. Honorable samurai that she still is, she attempts to commit seppuku, asking Hinjo to be her second. Hinjo refuses, telling her to atone by fighting Xykon. This could lead to redemption, or get her surrounded by the wrong folks who cause her to fall further (see #1).

3. Miko completely loses it and attacks Hinjo, Roy, and Belkar. Belkar could get a chance to fulfill his prophecy, but IMO that's poor dramatic timing. She and we need to absorb the consequences of her fall.

Either way, the ultimate line of whether she completely falls or seeks atonement will be amazing to follow and find out.

Also, about Shojo... I have a feeling he's not going to be raised. He's old... and maybe his soul won't want to come back. I think Hinjo's taking over one way or another. But who knows?

ozmar
2007-01-29, 01:59 PM
SHOJO! His name is SHOJO!!! :smallfurious:

For someone who's supposedly a lot of people's favorite character it's amazing how often everyone gets his name wrong. I guess Xykon gets that treatment too though, even though his at least has the excuse of being difficult to spell...all I'm saying is have a little respect for the dead! (And the undead!)

(Nothing personal - I've just noticed this happening a lot these last couple of days.)

What I can't quite grasp is how so many people get the names wrong when they are written out for us right in the comic! Its not like we only hear the names pronounced and have to guess how they are spelled. Its right there on the screen! Copy it!

Sorry. Just had to vent. Really. Its no big deal. :)

Ozmar the Forgiving

SteveMB
2007-01-29, 02:00 PM
Hmmm... does loss of her paladin status mean that the secured area around the gate is now Off Limits to her? If so, that puts a crimp in Xykon's plan....

mrocktor
2007-01-29, 02:00 PM
Heck yeah! Take that Mikozilla!

Duke of URL
2007-01-29, 02:01 PM
wasn't that pretty obvious? It being asia and all.............

:miko: What is this "asia" you speak of?

Chadhulhu
2007-01-29, 02:01 PM
Lol.. She has fallen! What a grand comic. I hope she takes the next step to redeem herself. Hinjo could be her second.

stetson
2007-01-29, 02:02 PM
omigosh a great ending to a story arc.:smallbiggrin:
good job a always

Wolfie_1066
Hooray!!! Yay for Miko's punishment!!!!!! finally she gets what she deserves! *does a happy dance*

Solara
A question for the artistic types...

With the way Miko is drawn, is it easier to work with her cloak being beige than black or dark grey? Or, just more visually appealing?

Kind of curious as to whether the beige is a specifica indication of something or if it's used in place of grey or black for artistic reasons...

Beige and grey are both neutral colors, but grey is used for metal a lot. To just change Miko, turning her cloak black would make her legs kind of disappear...or would this be easy to work around?

Can't say for sure but I think grey or black would have put people in mind of a Blackguard, and then we'd have a huge argument of with the 'that's not in the rules!' people vs. the 'the rules are subordinate to the story' people in alliance with the 'MIKO IS EVIL GRAAGH!' people and that's no fun for anyone.

Brown is a neutral color that just means she's a normal boring fighter, I think.

Silentz
2007-01-29, 02:03 PM
Wouldn't it be really funny if Rich cut back to Xykon's army for the next set of strips? :smallbiggrin:

skreweded
2007-01-29, 02:03 PM
Awesome. Blackguard anyone?

BroodingPaladin
2007-01-29, 02:04 PM
Hmm...I should hasten to add that even though I was surprised, I found the comic no less entertaining/compelling. The Chinese Zodiac and the instant response to Miko's deed was a very nice touch. And like most everyone, I liked Shojo's final barb. Nice work there.

Blaznak
Wow! Totally cool story! I really liked this episode for some reason. It was short, brutal, and, well, frankly, really nifty the way it was presented! NICE!

Later,

Jensik
Everything about 407 is a thing of beauty. 'Nuff said.

SeeDanRun
2007-01-29, 02:05 PM
Oh man!! Now Shojo (my favorite NPC) is gonna lose a level when he gets raised.

Do you have ANY idea how many documents you have to sign to gain enough experice to go up one level of Aristocrate? It could be years before he is back to the lost skill points of 'bluff insanity'.

seatarsprayzan
I knew she would kill Shojo and I knew she would fall. I'm amused that nearly everyone was surprised at her act and that so many tried to rationalize it.

But that's where my knowledge ends. What will happen now? I have no idea, but I have some predictions:

Miko will realize she has fallen and Done Wrong. She will *not* be contrite and humble and start the long road to repentance, however.

She might abandon the twelve gods for "betraying her," but I think it more likely that, in accordance with her massive ego, she will either kill herself, try to destroy the gate (to keep it out of Xykon's hands) and die in the process, or simply charge Xykon and the hobgoblin army and die in battle.

Her ego is so huge, that it's either MORE rationalization, or else she will try the "instant redemption" by dying in a good cause. She doesn't have the integrity to own up to her crimes and flaws and work on being a better person and atoning.

battleburn
Worse then that Belkar wasn't able to be the one to bring the fall of Miko, without her powers the horse will be gone too. This means no revenge on the horse. Belkar is really gonna be pissed about that.

Arn
2007-01-29, 02:06 PM
Awww... poor Miko. She was doing what she thought was RIGHT! THIS SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED!!!! I don't care that she was wrong, BEIGE IS NOT HER COLOUR!!!!
She DESERVES beige! :smallbiggrin:

I miss Shojo. I'm gonna put those last words in my siggy! I'm gonna beg for a Shojo smiley!!! I'M GONNA START A SHOJO FAN CLUB!!!!
Ah c'mon! They even wasted the diamonds to resurrect that studip alcoholic wizard. Reviving Shojo shouldn't be a big deal: the body is complete, no parts are missing - a 5th level "raise dead" cast by a 9th level cleric will do it. Most important: The Gods themselves fired Miko cause she killed him... :smallamused:

Maybe Shojo doesn't want to be resurrected (cause of all the pretty girls in heaven) but that would then be his own decision.

JazzManJim
2007-01-29, 02:07 PM
Gah!

That was freaking horrible.

My only hope is that The Giant has decided that, sure, Miko was wrong enough to lose her Paladin status, but that there was a lot of wrongdoing going on and that there's going to be comeuppance all around.

Because it would tick me off if everyone but Miko got off relatively scot-free.

That said, I very much like that Miko did what she felt she had to do, even though she has suffered for doing so. I like when someone actually has principles and sticks by them, no matter how unpopular that makes them.

zeratul
2007-01-29, 02:08 PM
:miko: What is this "asia" you speak of?

you dident notice all of the samurais, ninja assasins, katanas, and oddly placed new year stuff? It is supposed to be like asia not to mention the video games elan mentioned

Freelance Henchman
2007-01-29, 02:09 PM
Hm. Now that all is said and done, I've got to admit I'd rather see Miko do the Blackguard thing and take revenge on that barnyard of a pantheon than some humiliating "atonement" shtick.

zeratul
2007-01-29, 02:11 PM
Gah!

My only hope is that The Giant has decided that, sure, Miko was wrong enough to lose her Paladin status, but that there was a lot of wrongdoing going on and that there's going to be comeuppance all around.

That said, I very much like that Miko did what she felt she had to do, even though she has suffered for doing so. I like when someone actually has principles and sticks by them, no matter how unpopular that makes them.

uhm sorry but HER PRINCIPALS MADE HER UNPOPULAR BECAUSE THEY WERE BAD. This isn't some kid who reffuses to cut people in line, or a guy who wont shoplift. Those people have principals, this person is a wack-job.

ravenkith
2007-01-29, 02:12 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

No seriously...who hasn't been waiting for Miko to fall?

What no Belkar 'Finally!'?

All I can say is...poor timing.

She's going to wish she had that smite evil handy when ol' X and his buddies get to Azure.

Oh, and she got what she had coming to her: Paladins are not judge, the jury and the executioner...they are supposed to be shining examples of all that is good and lawful. They uphold the laws.

Basically, she just pulled an Anakin: "Oh, they have transgressed against me, I must kill them".

Miko has never been that shining example the gods supposedly really want, but she never crossed the line before, either...although she was very very close when Belkar was pushing her to do it.

Kaerou
2007-01-29, 02:13 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

You took the laughter right out of my mouth!

hahahahahaha!!!

<3 <3 <3

I love you Rich!

Pantler
2007-01-29, 02:17 PM
That was most certainly rumbleworthy :biggrin:

Solara
2007-01-29, 02:20 PM
Gah!

I really hope you were being sarcastic here.

Though if you weren't this I guess this proves my point - it doesn't matter what Miko does, even if she moves on from old men to little kids and kittens and puppies after this, even after the gods themselves (not to mention the author of the comic) made it blatently clear that what she did was wrong wrong WRONG, there are still going to be people defending her actions, and when that doesn't work demonizing all the other characters so she can at least look good in comparison.

And why do you get the impression 'everyone but Miko' got off scot free in the first place? Belkar's being kept on a leash right now and has a murder trial coming up, Shojo would have at th every least lost his position as leader of the Sapphire Guard - had he not been murdered in cold blood first, that is. How is that getting off? Unless the actual crime is disagreeing with Miko in any way, shape, or form, in which case I guess you think Hinjo and Roy deserve to be severely punished too.

Oy. I think I need a break from these boards...

Aimbot
2007-01-29, 02:43 PM
Hey, I wear tan.

She has to atone so Belkar can kill her horse.

I think the Giant has given up on subtlety.

Aimbot
2007-01-29, 02:43 PM
Hey, I wear tan.

She has to atone so Belkar can kill her horse.

I think the Giant has given up on subtlety.

Jaysyn
2007-01-29, 02:55 PM
I predict the first 3 frames of #408 will be Belkar laughing. :D