PDA

View Full Version : Playing a Rouge.

rmnimoc
2014-02-16, 06:17 AM
I want to play a Rouge, but my DM demanded I justify such a weird choice, and explain how my character came into be, by RAW, because unless I can he refuses to have Rouges at all in his campaign setting.

So my question is:
Awaken sand mentions that "You awaken a region of sand, or similar material, to humanlike sentience." Is rouge a "similar material" to sand as per the awaken sand text, and what is the GP value of 15 sq ft of makeup?

weckar
2014-02-16, 06:19 AM
If this is a joke, you told it perfectly. :smallsmile:

rmnimoc
2014-02-16, 06:21 AM
I fail to see where you see the humor in wanting to play a huge construct capable of engulfing my enemies and giving them a bonus to disguise checks at the same time.

weckar
2014-02-16, 06:33 AM
Unfortunately, most rouges are organic, not mineral. Those that are mineral are rocky, not granulated. So, no; Awaken Sand would not apply.

Baroncognito
2014-02-16, 06:51 AM
Unfortunately, most rouges are organic, not mineral. Those that are mineral are rocky, not granulated. So, no; Awaken Sand would not apply.

Wikipedia says that most modern rouges are talc based.

weckar
2014-02-16, 07:50 AM
When it comes to rouge, I'll trust a woman over wikipedia. Even then: in its natural form talc is a rocky mineral.

Callin
2014-02-16, 08:21 AM
So... animate object? Tiny Earth Elemental? Small Stone Golem?

OH OH OH you could bust it down to a sand like substance then then cast Awaken Sand on it...

Spuddles
2014-02-16, 10:52 AM

I believe you need a feat to apply improvised materials.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-02-16, 12:00 PM
Depending on your starting level, you could play a Fiend of Possession (FF). That way you can possess and animate objects including noncontinuous objects at 5th level, such as a pile of rouge. You would have the physical stats of an animated object of up to colossal size, depending on how much rouge you can obtain. You can even add an extra +4 to those physical stats via Fiend of Possession, and also add magic item properties to your natural weapons for free.

shylocke
2014-02-16, 03:11 PM
Please tell me that the OP means rogue and everyone is just running with it. Because laughing my ass off and am kind of confused.

eggynack
2014-02-16, 03:15 PM
Please tell me that the OP means rogue and everyone is just running with it. Because laughing my ass off and am kind of confused.
It's pretty clear that he intentionally used rouge, in order to tell a joke about playing as makeup. I feel bad for explaining things now. :smallfrown:

MonochromeTiger
2014-02-16, 03:19 PM
It's pretty clear that he intentionally used rouge, in order to tell a joke about playing as makeup. I feel bad for explaining things now. :smallfrown:

worry not eggynack, for you have spread wisdom in your killing of the joke, rarely has a joke been mercy killed for such a good reason...that said I'm disappointed, if you'd waited some of the responses to shylocke might have been hilarious.

shylocke
2014-02-16, 03:34 PM
I'll consider the ruining my fault. I recognize my failing and shall strive to correct it.

In had to say something, one of my old friends( douchey kinda guy) was convinced rogue and rouge were the same thing and wouldn't shut up about it.

shylocke
2014-02-16, 04:27 PM
Although if it were a serious question I would say you would count as a swarm.

Threadnaught
2014-02-16, 04:28 PM
worry not eggynack, for you have spread wisdom in your killing of the joke, rarely has a joke been mercy killed for such a good reason...that said I'm disappointed, if you'd waited some of the responses to shylocke might have been hilarious.

Actually, I'm hoping someone can make a good Rouge build, maybe give it levels in Rogue. :smallamused:

It does look like a rather interesting concept.

shylocke
2014-02-16, 04:41 PM
Actually, I'm hoping someone can make a good Rouge build, maybe give it levels in Rogue. :smallamused:

That's one of the reasons I had to ask. I've seen quite a few strange characters played. Like chester, he was a treasure chest rogue.

shylocke
2014-02-16, 04:43 PM
If you took swarm fighting, would the individual grains give the bonus? D20+several million?

Red Fel
2014-02-16, 07:58 PM
If you had an animated mass of tinted powdery material that rebelled against its master, would that make it a rogue rouge? (Your pained groans are music to my ears.)

Threadnaught
2014-02-16, 08:47 PM
If you had an animated mass of tinted powdery material that rebelled against its master, would that make it a rogue rouge?

Yes, but you're not being ambitious enough.

That could very well be the backstory, making it a rogue Rouge, but give it levels in Rogue and it becomes a rogue Rouge Rogue. Make it French (or whatever counts) and red and it becomes a rogue rouge Rouge Rogue.

This should be a thing. Seriously, I'm not kidding.

(Your pained groans are music to my ears.)

What pained groans? (Can you add more Rouge to that Rogue? Or make that Rouge more Roguish?)

Callin
2014-02-16, 08:51 PM
Can it start out as an Awakened Rogue Eidolon.

A rogue rouge Rouge Rogue Rogue Eidolon.

Kalaska'Agathas
2014-02-16, 08:52 PM

That could very well be the backstory, making it a rogue Rouge, but give it levels in Rogue and it becomes a rogue Rouge Rogue. Make it French (or whatever counts) and red and it becomes a rogue rouge Rouge Rogue.

But what if they were both a rogue Rouge, and a rogue Rogue? Then they'd be a rogue Rogue rogue Rouge! Add to that your previous suggestion and it'd become a rouge rogue Rogue rogue Rouge. Then add in levels of Red Wizard...

Actually, if you take levels in Wizard, you're probably getting a familiar. Which would have to be a Parrot. And we've officially drifted into another sketch.

rmnimoc
2014-02-16, 08:53 PM

Yes. Make it modern D20 and I will be Rouge, the rogue rouge rogue from Baton Rouge.

Threadnaught
2014-02-16, 08:54 PM
But what if they were both a rogue Rouge, and a rogue Rogue? Then they'd be a rogue Rogue rogue Rouge! Add to that your previous suggestion and it'd become a rouge rogue Rogue rogue Rouge. Then add in levels of Red Wizard...

*ding* *ding* *ding* We have a winner!

I seriously have no idea how to top that.

ericgrau
2014-02-16, 10:43 PM
I came in here to make fun of the OP but the OP beat me to it.

gorfnab
2014-02-17, 03:25 PM
Scarlet Corsair may be worth looking into. Outlaw of the Crimson Road would also be worth a look if the DM allows 3.0 material.

graeylin
2014-02-17, 05:29 PM
as embarrassing as this thread is, someone's cheeks should be red.

Fax Celestis
2014-02-17, 05:37 PM

Almost as cool as my animated rake Rake.

Slipperychicken
2014-02-17, 05:52 PM
This guy needs to team up with the Beguiler Beguiler/Beguiler and its Beguiler Beguiler familiar.

Also, rogue doesn't look like a word anymore. Now for the next few hours, I'll want to pronounce it as "row-goo". Thanks giantitp :smallbiggrin:

LogosDragon
2014-02-17, 06:00 PM
This guy needs to team up with the Beguiler Beguiler/Beguiler and its Beguiler Beguiler familiar.

Also, rogue doesn't look like a word anymore. Now for the next few hours, I'll want to pronounce it as "row-goo". Thanks giantitp :smallbiggrin:

Oh my god that happened to me too :smallbiggrin: Glad I don't suffer alone.

Threadnaught
2014-02-17, 06:06 PM

Not beguiling enough. :smalltongue:

How about a rogue rouge Rouge rogue rouge Rogue/rogue Rouge/rogue Red Wizard from Rogueport, Rougenia? :smallamused:

Ahh my eyes. It hurts to read that.

enderlord99
2014-02-17, 07:45 PM
I came in here to make fun of the OP but the OP beat me to it.

Same here.

Kalaska'Agathas
2014-02-17, 11:41 PM

And a Blue (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/blue.htm) Meldshaper from Azure City.

Red Fel
2014-02-18, 08:01 AM
And a Blue (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/blue.htm) Meldshaper from Azure City.

A sad Blue Meldshaper from Azure City who in his spare time performs slow jazz.
A blue blue-eyed Blue from Blueberg playin' the blues.
He and the rogue Rogue/Red Wizard rouge Rouge from Thay will get along fine.

Also purple, somehow.

Elxir_Breauer
2014-02-19, 08:09 AM
Those would both go along GREAT with the Awakened Rust Monster, Mimic Rogue, and Awakened Gelatinous Cube Swashbuckler (not entirely sure how that would work, but it's not MY webcomic, lol)! I might have to allow these in a game sometime...

http://rustyandco.com/

nedz
2014-02-19, 08:32 AM
You're hit by a Flesh to Stone (Caster chooses Talc)
Talc is ground down and died red
Stone to Flesh

I think that you would be dead at this point, but being alive wasn't a requirement.

There's possibly also a variant of the psionic sandwich trick you could use.

However you do it someone is going to end up with a red face.

Jormengand
2014-02-19, 08:43 AM
How about a rogue rouge Rouge rogue rouge Rogue/rogue Rouge/rogue Red Wizard from Rogueport, Rougenia? :smallamused:

And as a rogue/rogue, I can sneak attack my sneak attack! (http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/01/27/episode-1087-exalted-feat/)