PDA

View Full Version : The interaction between telepathy and immunity to mind-affecting effects

Gelscressor
2014-02-16, 06:28 AM
Greetings,

This topic was already brought up in the Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 topic, in which I received as an answer that it is up to the DM. Indeed; as there appears to be no hard rule about it, this seems a fair answer.

That said, I was wondering, if -you- were the DM, what would your answer be for the following questions?

A Does immunity to mind-affecting effects prevent receiving telepathic communications, such as per the telepathy special ability?

B If the aforementioned answer depends on the circumstances, what would be the case if the receiver is an intelligent undead creature?

C Does immunity to mind-affecting effects prevent two way communication as per the telepathy special ability, even when the one immune establishes contact first?

Personally, I'm not quite sure what I'd rule. I'd likely have it depend on the circumstances. I'm inclined to say that, based on the core rules, telepathic communication with a sentient creature that has immunity to mind-affecting effects generally is possible.

Be that as it may, while the core rules do not explicitly mention that telepathic communication is a mind-affecting effect (see the telepathy special ability and telepathic bond), the psionic rules appear to define telepathic communication as mind-affecting. For instance; missive , and, more interestingly, telepathic bond, lesser; have the mind-affecting descriptor. Consequently, this suggests that any form of telepathy, including mere communication, is a mind-affecting ability. Even then, I would still rule that the answer to question C is no.

Any other thoughts?

TuggyNE
2014-02-16, 07:59 AM
Well, I'd rework immunities in general and make most of them a "mere" +10 racial to saving throws (and grant saving throws at +4 if none was normally permitted or something, I dunno). A creature that is actually mindless, though, has nothing there for telepathy to affect, so it would still be legitimately immune.