PDA

View Full Version : Guessing Mr Scruffy the real power behind the throne

Ouroborosi
2014-02-16, 09:26 AM
For a loong time I thought that Mr Scruffy was a familiar do we even now how old the cat is?

But what if the twelve animal gods are a member short as the cat was tricked by the rat that the dinner of the gods was tomorrow and not today. As it slept the other 12 animals where put into the stars.

Maybe Mr Scruffy is a magical animal that was denied godhood.

Copperdragon
2014-02-16, 10:01 AM
Which throne? The one that got blasted to pieces?

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-02-16, 11:13 AM
Anything's possible, I suppose. However, there is about as much evidence for this theory as there is for Blackwing actually being a lost Elven God.

SlashDash
2014-02-16, 12:39 PM
Not sure if trolling... But just in case...

A familiar of what? Shojo was had NPC levels, he certinly wasn't a wizard.

As for the 12 animals, they are the chineese zodiac. I don't recall them having a cat...

martianmister
2014-02-16, 01:38 PM
As for the 12 animals, they are the chineese zodiac. I don't recall them having a cat...

Actually...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_%28zodiac%29

RedSand
2014-02-16, 01:51 PM
*slow clap for genuine cleverness*

That actually makes a lot of sense. Not, y'know, common sense, but story nonsense sense. It's poetic, and it would mean every pantheon would have some kind of chip in the order(Northern for Roy, Dwarven for Durkon, Elven for V, Belkar with Twelve, and Elan with Banjo).

Nimrod's Son
2014-02-16, 04:21 PM
It's poetic, and it would mean every pantheon would have some kind of chip in the order(Northern for Roy, Dwarven for Durkon, Elven for V, Belkar with Twelve, and Elan with Banjo).
Putting aside the fact that Banjo has far less claim to being a pantheon than the Dark One does, I'm pretty sure there is no evidence for a "Dwarven" pantheon that is distinct from the Northern one. And in any case, who in the Order represents the Western gods?

"Mr Scruffy is secretly a god" is an old, persistent fan theory with absolutley no evidence for it whatsoever. Until something comes up that says otherwise, I'm going to continue to believe he's just a cat.

snowblizz
2014-02-16, 04:56 PM
"Mr Scruffy is secretly a god" is an old, persistent fan theory with absolutley no evidence for it whatsoever. Until something comes up that says otherwise, I'm going to continue to believe he's just a cat.
No one is ever "just a cat" though. They are unto like tiny domestic gods.

No evidence? Phah. Must be a dog person.:smallwink:

rbetieh
2014-02-16, 04:59 PM
Putting aside the fact that Banjo has far less claim to being a pantheon than the Dark One does, I'm pretty sure there is no evidence for a "Dwarven" pantheon that is distinct from the Northern one. And in any case, who in the Order represents the Western gods?

No hold on one minute, the Puppet Civil Liberties Union case is still pending!

SlashDash
2014-02-16, 06:06 PM
Actually...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_%28zodiac%29

Actually what? That's the Vietnamise version, not the Chineese one.

But going by 407 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0407.html), they clearly show the classical version.

martianmister
2014-02-16, 06:54 PM
Actually what? That's the Vietnamise version, not the Chineese one.

But going by 407 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0407.html), they clearly show the classical version.

Have you read the whole article?

Loreweaver15
2014-02-16, 07:04 PM
There is, classically, a thirteenth member of the Zodiac--a cat--who got left out alternately because they all hated him or because he was a lazy buttface, one or the other. I actually always thought Mr Scruffy was just a clever nod to that.

Surfing HalfOrc
2014-02-16, 07:09 PM
The Rat tends to be a jerk in many cultures. Samoans use rat shaped lures to catch octopi because of the following legend:

One day, the Rat, the Crab and the Bird built a boat. They took the boat out to sea, and then it sank. The Bird flew away, the Crab sank to the bottom and crawled away, but the Rat had to swim. The Rat made it to a rock, but had a long way to go before he reached home, so the Octopus offered to give him a lift. The Rat climbed on the Octopus' head, and the Octopus swam all the way to the Rat's Island. When the Rat got off of the Octopus, he deliberately crapped on the Octopus' head!
Since then, the Octopus has hated the Rat, and fishermen use this to catch octopus ever since.

CaDzilla
2014-02-16, 07:44 PM

Banjo has a brother called Giggles (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0561.html), so the pantheon has two gods. In SoD, Redcloack refers to the Dark One as a god in a pantheon of one

Nimrod's Son
2014-02-16, 08:55 PM
My point is that if you're claiming that the Order has a representative of every pantheon, and you're including Banjo as an example, then you should really be including the Dark One as well.

Rodin
2014-02-16, 09:21 PM
Banjo has a brother called Giggles (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0561.html), so the pantheon has two gods. In SoD, Redcloack refers to the Dark One as a god in a pantheon of one

I see a franchise.....

The first movie, Pantheon of One, is a gritty action story about the Dark One taking on the Gods. Classic underdog story, lots of ultra-violence.

The second movie, Pantheon of Two: Electric Boogaloo, is a parody of the first, with Banjo and Giggles attempting the same thing but using their clown powers to slapstick their way to the top.

The third movie, Panthreeon, will be a return to the roots of the franchise after critical backlash from the second. It will feature Belkar, Scruffy, and Bloodfeast the Exterminator taking on the lower planes in order to become their ruler. Yes, all of them.

WoLong
2014-02-17, 02:47 AM
No one is ever "just a cat" though. They are unto like tiny domestic gods.

I'm glad someone has some sense.

Groundhoggoth
2014-02-18, 02:58 PM
I've been amusing myself for a while with the notion that Lord Shojo's spirit passed into Mr. Scruffy upon the former's death, notably because of the presence of Shojo in Belkar's fever dream when Mr. Scruffy was right there.

There are also the numerous instances of Mr. Scruffy acting very helpfully on many occasions since the death of Shojo, whilst showing little more intelligence than the average house-cat prior to that.

It would be nice to think that Shojo might show up again before the end of the story, especially if an Exposition Guy is required to pick apart the truth about the Rifts and the Snarl (after all, Shojo is pretty much the Order's only source of information on the Rifts anyway, so he might have knowingly misinformed them and thus he would be best placed to reveal the truth.)

Heksefatter
2014-02-18, 03:04 PM
Say what you will, but I like the idea that Mr. Scruffy is an avatar of sorts - or a member or agent - of the twelve gods, who somehow subtly influences things. I actually hope that it is true, but I am not going to bet any money on it.

BrokenChord
2014-02-18, 03:15 PM

Hey, careful what you call "just a _____" based on appearances. I mean, look what happened with Vaarsuvius and "just" a doily. :smalltongue:

Sir_Leorik
2014-02-18, 03:29 PM
For a loong time I thought that Mr Scruffy was a familiar...

Well there's your mistake. Mr. Scruffy is not a familiar. He's an Animal Companion, with bonus Hit Dice, an AC Bonus, a bonus to his Strength and Dexterity scores, and some other nifty abilities.

konradknox
2014-02-18, 08:11 PM
Scruffy did one-shot a level 1 commoner.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-02-18, 08:16 PM
That's hardly a great achievement.

Loreweaver15
2014-02-18, 08:55 PM

That's actually a joke about how, under D&D mechanics, a common housecat will win a fight with a level 1 commoner more often than not.

SlashDash
2014-02-19, 01:31 PM
Have you read the whole article?
Yes. Your point being what exactly?

He isn't a member of the party, some versions tell you why he was kicked out. Still doesn't make him part of the club.

If there's a point you're trying to make, I dont' get it.
I'm not trying to be rude, I'm really not seeing it.
Can you please elaborate? What am I missing?

Sir_Leorik
2014-02-19, 01:44 PM

Pfft. I've seen common housecats take down 1st level commoners as a Standard Action, then purr as a free action and clean their fur as a Move action, while readying an Immediate action to bat a ball of light. :smalltongue: