PDA

View Full Version : Making a MERP spell caster, and could use feedback

Odessa333
2014-02-16, 10:47 AM
Hi there, fellow gamers ;)

As the title says, I'm looking for some help with my character. I've been gaming for over 2 decades now so I'm not new or anything, but I keep second guessing myself on this character. The last...decade or so of my games I've been the GM/DM. I've not been a player in so long, I'm making myself nervous with the hype/excitement.

Few details: The system is based on MERP (middle earth with rolemaster rules at the core with several house rules). In the past I've typically been the wizard/mage, finding new and creative ways for my spells to break the GM's mind (the house rules have had to ban usage of certain spells after I found loop holes to them, for example). To both challenge myself and lessen the odds of this, I am playing a modified Animist/healer class (officially a Druid, but one without the D&D shape shifting). I am being a Silvan elf (or wood elf). There are two other players known so far, a mage and a Paladin. Unconfirmed players hint at being a Ranger and a warrior. We are starting at out level three, and no one ever, EVER survives to level 8. For spell selection we use 'spell law' book of rolemaster (I think you can get a free preview on sites like slashdoc, but not sure). I can choose spells from the sections of open channeling, closed channeling, animist spell lists and astrologer spell lists (house rules say that I can cast two levels ABOVE my level on the animist and astrologer lists, giving me access to level 5 spells on those, but only up to level 3 on the open/closed lists.).

The biggest decisions are background points and spell selection. I have four background points to get unique abilities/items, and seven spell lists to start.

For background, I've used one for a stat boost as this increases my maximum power points (what you'd expect I need for my spells). I am using a second to get what is known as x2 multiplier, to again, increase my power points. The other two... not sure yet. I could get an enhanced sense, another spell list, spell adders (free spell casting item), an animal companion, a magic item, more hit points, or nearly anything else. The possibilities are crazy.

Of the seven spell lists, there is so much variety it's over whelming. Traditional wisdom says if I'm to heal I should take Concussion's ways (has the most basic heal hit point spells) and blood law (to stop bleeding). I know I will be taking Herb mastery (locate healing herbs and enhance their power) and I will likely be taken Starlights (allows me to create light and to use a minor attack spell) as both of those fit the character concept well. Other spells I like are Animal Mastery (summon/control animals), Creations (create food/water), Detection ways (locate magic items/traps, etc), Nature's protection (resist elements, breathe underwater), Way of Voice (gives me question, where a target must answer me truthfully), Far Voice (gives me a limited range telepathy spell), Holy Vision (allows one to have a dream about a chosen subject with the hope of the GM/deity giving some clues), and Time's bridge (gives spells that let one see into the future a bit - like what will happen in the next minute if i press this lever?).

For me, I keep debating what spells fit the character most, what spells could be the most game breaking... and do I avoid those or take them? I'm outside my comfort zone, and trying to be the opposite of myself... which isn't as easy as I thought it would be lol.

I know this is a massive wall of text, so my apologies for being so long winded, and my respect if you managed to read this far into it. In the end, it's a simple 'what spells do I take?" question with some background point confusion thrown in for a bonus. I'm open to any ideas at this point, as I keep waffling here.

Thank you for your time!

Rhynn
2014-02-16, 02:00 PM
Seems like you've got a handle on it. Animists are generally a bit weak, honestly, but I think they're just specialized; the astrologer base list access definitely helps (although they're specialized, too, but you're double-specialized!). Creations is a bit very weak: are you really likely to need those spells? The good spells on that list just duplicate Herb Mastery. The other healing lists (Bone Law, Muscle Law, Nerve Law, Organ Law) are obviously useful - healing is pretty demanding.

I'd probably spend background options on spell lists over anything else - that's free development points, in effect, and unlike adders and magic items, you're not going to find those lying around all over the place. (If you use ICE modules, anyway.) The multipliers are pretty much too precious to pass up on start, though.

Stormageddon
2014-02-16, 10:13 PM
Death cloud + any wall spells works great.

CE DM
2014-02-17, 12:43 AM
Hard to say, with the house rules going.

Spell lists for an Astrologer:
Starlights (for some offensive magics)

Then I'd just take various healing lists or, if not those, then the animal, plant & detection type lists.

2 BG points for items for sure, the multiplier & the adder (as good as you can get), then use the combined powers option (so you have one "ring of power" type item)

The adders are a big deal, as casting "higher level" spells eats a ton of points. BTW, I've no idea how the house rule for L5 spells at L3 works; normally they can't be cast even if known, as the most one can spend on a spell is their level. If that's the case, those extra spells are something of a trap; you might as well just take those lists when you can use them.

If that's the case, just take MERP Calm Spirits, Spell Defense, Surface Ways & Protections & the others as you level up.

Sorry I'm not more helpful, but whether you are playing MERP or ICE/rolemaster or what the HRs actually mean makes it tough

Rhynn
2014-02-17, 01:08 AM
(so you have one "ring of power" type item)

Whatever you do, though, don't use those words within earshot of your GM... that's asking for trouble in MERP. :smallbiggrin:

BTW, I've no idea how the house rule for L5 spells at L3 works

Actually, RMSS/RMFRP has rules for that as standard. Table T-4.6 (p. 47) in RMFRP. A 3rd-level character could cast a 5th-level spell at a penalty between -90 and -15. Use two free hands, shout, own base lists, that's +25, to compensate...

Not sure what edition Odessa333's group is using, of course.

CE DM
2014-02-18, 10:05 AM
Well, if he CAN cast a L5 spell (via edition/penalties or house rule), then the spell adder item becomes all the more important, as it will cost 5 pp (more?)

skyth
2014-02-18, 10:14 AM
Granted, I haven't looked at the MERP rules for a bit over 25 years...I do Rolemaster. If you have it available, there is a spell list from either RMC I or RMC II that is Druidstaff. Makes a magic staff that hits harder and acts as a spell adder/multiplier.

For background options, I'm a fan of Martial Arts training. Allows you to access adrenal defense and sweeps/throws easier. Combine with Druidstaff for the weapon kata and you could do decent :)