PDA

View Full Version : Background for Brass or Copper half-dragons

Jon_Dahl
2014-02-16, 11:05 AM
The way I've understood things is that good dragons breed with humans (and others) with the help of Alternate Form ability. Evil dragons just rape and no alternate form is needed.

Brass and Copper dragons are both good-aligned, but they don't have any Alternate Form ability or anything similar. I'd like to create a copper half-dragon, but it seems a bit too much that the character's human mom or dad had a thing with large scaly creatures (no matter how noble looking they were!). It's possible, but doesn't seem quite feasible or in good taste. I'm simply not comfortable with that.

What do you suggest? Is the "Wizard did it!" the only reasonable explanation here?

the clumsy bard
2014-02-16, 11:23 AM
They cast spells like a sorcerer and they get higher spells the older they are.

Therefore insert polymorph spell here = half dragon baby

Sith_Happens
2014-02-16, 01:26 PM
it seems a bit too much that the character's human mom or dad had a thing with large scaly creatures (no matter how noble looking they were!).

Obviously you're wrong about that.:smalltongue:

It's not like D&D doesn't have some really weird stuff in it already.

Gavinfoxx
2014-02-16, 01:31 PM
...Some people just care about intelligence and personality? And do things the traditional way? *shrugs* And why WOULDN'T someone do that? Seriously, you get powerful, intelligent, magically-potent children, and size changing magics are pretty simple...? You do know that there are people irl who are into fantastic creatures that way, right?

BWR
2014-02-16, 01:52 PM
I've never seen dragons as having the same hangups about sex that mammals have: it's a method for procreating, and that's it - there isn't really any such thing as sexual attraction, just acknowledgement of sexual compatability and an urge to perpetuate the species.

So dragons create half-dragons for mostly one reason, and that's because they want to have a half-dragon offspring for some reason. Whether it's because they feel some fondness for some lesser being and have sex with them to give them the child they want, whether it's because they want longer-lived, powerful operative for whatever business they have in the world (this is what half-dragons in Dragonstar generally are) or simply because they want to cause trouble (half-dragon monsters terrorizing an area).

As for how they do it, apart from polymorph spells, there are ways, though I suspect detailing them would be a bit too graphic - suffice to say something that might work with Mage Hand.

ChaoticDitz
2014-02-16, 01:54 PM
I've never seen dragons as having the same hangups about sex that mammals have: it's a method for procreating, and that's it - there isn't really any such thing as sexual attraction, just acknowledgement of sexual compatability and an urge to perpetuate the species.

So dragons create half-dragons for mostly one reason, and that's because they want to have a half-dragon offspring for some reason. Whether it's because they feel some fondness for some lesser being and have sex with them to give them the child they want, whether it's because they want longer-lived, powerful operative for whatever business they have in the world (this is what half-dragons in Dragonstar generally are) or simply because they want to cause trouble (half-dragon monsters terrorizing an area).

You clearly haven't read Races of the Dragon. I think even Draconomicon disproves what you're saying, but don't hold me to that statement.

... Or Book of Erotic Fantasy, but I think it's safe to exclude that from *most* D&D arguments, so I'll let it slide.

Gavinfoxx
2014-02-16, 01:55 PM
How about, 'Can't find any members of the same species and opposite sex in the area, and want to have a legacy'?

Marnath
2014-02-16, 02:04 PM
Brass and Copper dragons are just barely entering Large size by the time they reach sexual maturity at Young Adult. I understand from the internet that people have survived mating with horses before. Same size. Adding to that, Grease is a 1st level.

Gavinfoxx
2014-02-16, 02:10 PM
<size stuff>

Also, Enlarge Person is a thing. Or the dragon being the female of the pair.

Sith_Happens
2014-02-16, 02:43 PM
Basically, you're talking about either a very resilient humanoid or a very disappointed dragon.:smallwink:

Forrestfire
2014-02-16, 04:51 PM
What do you suggest? Is the "Wizard did it!" the only reasonable explanation here?

I want to chime in and say that "a wizard did it" is, in fact, a very valid and reasonable explanation here. :smallwink:

Gavinfoxx
2014-02-16, 04:52 PM
Basically, you're talking about either a very resilient humanoid or a very disappointed dragon.:smallwink:

...Hands and arms exist yaknow.

Vrock_Summoner
2014-02-16, 05:26 PM
...Hands and arms exist yaknow.

"I didn't thing you'd be this big!"

"You think this feels good, just wait till I put the other leg in!"

.... Ewwww.

Sith_Happens
2014-02-16, 08:11 PM
"I didn't thing you'd be this big!"

"You think this feels good, just wait till I put the other leg in!"

.... Ewwww.

You want to talk about size discrepancies, three words: Half-Dragon Grig.

Gavinfoxx
2014-02-16, 08:17 PM
You want to talk about size discrepancies, three words: Half-Dragon Grig.

Weelllll if the Grig is female, then it'd probably work best if they didn't touch, and the Grig just hovered there while the dragon ****** *** and *** his **** **** *** *** Grig and then **** **** ***** **** **** **** *** *** firehose.