PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Expanding the Wild Cohort List

HaikenEdge
2014-02-16, 11:51 AM
Is there any way to expand the Wild Cohort list? As per the text of the feat:

Provided the DM gives her approval, at 1st level you can choose from a badger, camel, dire rat, dog, riding dog, eagle, hawk, horse (light or heavy), owl, pony, snake (Small or Medium viper), or wolf. Like a druid, you can choose more powerful animals as you increase in level. These alternative animal cohorts work like the alternative animal companions available to a druid, but they are available as cohorts later than they are available as animal companions. When selecting an alternative animal cohort, use the list of alternative animal companions on page 36 of the Player's Handbook, but treat yourself as a druid three levels lower than your character level. For example, once you reach 7th level, you can choose an animal cohort off the list of animal companions available to a 4th-level druid.

Basically, the feat Wild Cohort allows players to pick from the list of animal companions allowed to a druid; however, without the benefit of feats, the list is somewhat limited, so I was curious if there was a way to expand on the list, since the feats normally used to expand the animal companion list generally require having the Animal Companion class feature as a prereq.

eggynack
2014-02-16, 12:57 PM
Are there really that many relevant list expanders for the animal companion list? The only good feat I can think of that does it is exalted companion, and that's only good because of VoP. There's also a decent number of ACF's that do it, but like exalted companion, they don't tend to be all that great. The feats you're really missing out on, natural bond and companion spellbond, don't really expand the list either. I'm not entirely sure what you're not getting, in other words, and why you're trying to get it.