PDA

View Full Version : Off-topic on the word Ninja

Sothicus
2007-01-29, 01:14 PM
Hey... lately I've been noticing people use "Ninjas" in their post. It's ninja. Plural and singular. It's like deer or sheep. You don't say deers or sheeps (or at least you are not supposed to).

Haruki-kun
2007-01-29, 01:15 PM
I know, but............most people don't know that so I avoid it.

Yeas, Ninja is Japanese and there is no plural in Japanese.

averagejoe
2007-01-29, 01:32 PM
You know what I've noticed? People who use the word "pwn." It's pronounced, "own." And they don't even use it correctly. If you shoot someone in the head in a video game it doesn't necessarily lead to you "owning" them. In fact, that person will probably just respawn and try to shoot you in the head. Does this mean you "own" each other, with whatever implications that comes with?

Sage in the Playground
2007-01-29, 09:24 PM
You know what I've noticed? People who use the word "pwn." It's pronounced, "own." And they don't even use it correctly. If you shoot someone in the head in a video game it doesn't necessarily lead to you "owning" them. In fact, that person will probably just respawn and try to shoot you in the head. Does this mean you "own" each other, with whatever implications that comes with?

True dat. However if you kill them 10 times (at least) without dying once (even by someone else) you pwn them.

fall_ark
2007-01-29, 09:31 PM
True dat. However if you kill them 10 times (at least) without dying once (even by someone else) you pwn them.

Wow, is there anything to do with the fact that "p" is somehow a combination of 1 and 0?

:smallconfused: wait, so why can't we use bwn/dwn/qwn?

fwiffo
2007-01-29, 09:33 PM
I know, but............most people don't know that so I avoid it.

Yeas, Ninja is Japanese and there is no plural in Japanese.

Yeah, and there is no Japanese in OOTS. So, Ninjas are back in. :tongue:

Sage in the Playground
2007-01-29, 09:36 PM
Wow, is there anything to do with the fact that "p" is somehow a combination of 1 and 0?

:smallconfused: wait, so why can't we use bwn/dwn/qwn?

No. P is right next to "o" on the keyboard, some people misstyped it, it caught on. I figured this out on my own, so maybe this shows something about how we think...

Holy_Knight
2007-01-29, 09:39 PM
Nah, that's pronounced "pawn"--because the only legitimate way to use that word is by being intentionally silly and calling attention to it.

fall_ark
2007-01-29, 09:44 PM
No. P is right next to "o" on the keyboard, some people misstyped it, it caught on. I figured this out on my own, so maybe this shows something about how we think...

Never mind the facts. They are not as funny! :smallbiggrin:
:smalltongue:

darkninjaoflight
2007-01-29, 09:47 PM
Actually both ninja or ninjas can be used. There isn't any restriction...and its written in the dictionary both ways for plural form anyways. Japanese has plurals in it too.

Edit: I feel kinda silly writting this, as I've forgotten how ninja-themed I've made this account...

Sage in the Playground
2007-01-29, 10:01 PM
Actually both ninja or ninjas can be used. There isn't any restriction...and its written in the dictionary both ways for plural form anyways. Japanese has plurals in it too.

Edit: I feel kinda silly writting this, as I've forgotten how ninja-themed I've made this account...

One should not limit oneself in such a manner. Do I act remotely sage-like?

No_constraints
2007-01-29, 10:15 PM

I noticed that too, so you're not the only one...

I always thought it was "pawn", until I realised it was own. I still say "pawn" in my head though.

CardinalFang
2007-01-29, 10:17 PM

Well, if it were Welsh it would be pronounced "poon" as far as I understand it, since W is pronounced as "oo." I've always pronounced it like that in my head just to differentiate it from the correct English spelling. I kinda think it should catch on; it seems like such a fantastic word in some ways...

Wallyz
2007-01-29, 10:19 PM
pwn is from Battle.net. It was a mispelling by the coder.

TinSoldier
2007-01-29, 11:28 PM
For pwn, I always say "pone".

Anyway, ninja, ninjas, whatever.

Setra
2007-01-29, 11:42 PM
For pwn, I always say "pone".

Anyway, ninja, ninjas, whatever.

I've heard "pone" is the official pronunciation of the typo, it's "own" with a p added. Though I still say pawn, because I don't like how "pone" sounds.

The only reason I ever use pwn like that is because I think it looks funny.

Also, the plural of Ninja is obviously Ninji :smallcool:

Solo
2007-01-29, 11:54 PM
I always thought the plural of "ninja" was "ninjae".

Thexare Blademoon
2007-01-30, 12:45 AM
Also, the plural of Ninja is obviously Ninji :smallcool:
Those little purple midgets from Super Mario 2?

(note: can't recall what color they were in the NES version)

Sothicus
2007-01-30, 12:53 AM

Note that I didn't say that Japanese didn't have plurals... I said "ninja" was for both plural and singular. Nin and Ja are two different syllables in the language. Jas is not one of them.

Also to the person who said there is no Japanese in OOTS... you must be pronouncing Miko as meye-ko. Because that's how it would be pronounced in English. However, because the Giant is emulating Japan, it is Mee-ko.

Thus if he is emulating Japan, it is ninja.

War
2007-01-30, 12:54 AM
Is it okay to say "ninjas" in reference to more than one type of ninja, like with "fishes" and "peoples"?

Nah, that's pronounced "pawn"--because the only legitimate way to use that word is by being intentionally silly and calling attention to it.
Precisely so, although I say it "pown". The important part is sounding stupid.

Setra
2007-01-30, 12:55 AM
Note that I didn't say that Japanese didn't have plurals... I said "ninja" was for both plural and singular. Nin and Ja are two different syllables in the language. Jas is not one of them.

Also to the person who said there is no Japanese in OOTS... you must be pronouncing Miko as meye-ko. Because that's how it would be pronounced in English. However, because the Giant is emulating Japan, it is Mee-ko.

I honestly thought Azure City was some sort of cross between all asain culture.

However they're missing Egg Rolls... Mmm Egg rolls

fwiffo
2007-01-30, 01:06 AM

I am not pronouncing it either way. I am making fun of someone who forgot the exchange in #209.

What is this "Japan" you speak of? I have never heard of it before.

And even if I were to take this... stuff... seriously, when words from one language are incorporated into another, whatever rules the source language had are applicable only to a small degree. Once they are part of your language, the rules that govern that language govern the use of that word. Yeah, I know, there are exceptions, but if you keep taking the words and not applying the rules of your language to them, you end up with unmanageable unruly mess.

Sothicus
2007-01-30, 01:17 AM
<snip> you end up with unmanageable unruly mess.

I take it, English is not your first language then? It is, by far, the most unmanageable and unruly mess in the world.

But just to move on to prove out that this is not just an anomoly:

Sushi
Sashimi
Karate

There are three words which I see just by looking around town without trying to look for Japanese words. Note that no one ever says, "I ate sushis today". "I dislike Sashimis, I don't like fish" or "What type of karates are you studying?"

English borrows words from other languages. While time can change some words, it take a long time, not simply bastardizing the word.

As far as "What is the Japan" comments... again he is EMULATING the region. Samurai, (note he never uses samurais in the comic), Katana/Wakazashi type weapons, the standard helmets and armor of the time period, and so forth.

Anyway, if anything, I'm trying to breed some cross-cultural understanding.

*Oh yeah and I never forgot the comic... but it still doesn't mean he isn't emulating it.

Setra
2007-01-30, 01:21 AM
Anyway, if anything, I'm trying to breed some cross-cultural understanding.

That's something the world definitely needs.

I can't decide, saying "No that wasn't sarcasm" may actually make it look sarcastic, which it is not, so instead I'll just say this.

fwiffo
2007-01-30, 01:34 AM
I take it, English is not your first language then? It is, by far, the most unmanageable and unruly mess in the world.

No, it is not my first language, and that opinion of English is completely unwarranted. It is an easy language to follow (no, I don't have enough background in linguistics to justify that - it is my personal opinion)

There are three words which I see just by looking around town without trying to look for Japanese words. Note that no one ever says, "I ate sushis today". "I dislike Sashimis, I don't like fish" or "What type of karates are you studying?"

Well, duh. I don't think one needs to know much about linguistics to tell how these words are quite different from "ninja".

English borrows words from other languages. While time can change some words, it take a long time, not simply bastardizing the word.

Not in this century (or last one for that matter). Global trade and communications made language adaptations lots faster than used to be.

As far as "What is the Japan" comments... again he is EMULATING the region. Samurai, (note he never uses samurais in the comic), Katana/Wakazashi type weapons, the standard helmets and armor of the time period, and so forth.

Oh, really? That's what he is doing? How interesting. Thanks for telling me.

Oy!

CardinalFang
2007-01-30, 01:35 AM
Is it okay to say "ninjas" in reference to more than one type of ninja, like with "fishes" and "peoples"?

Interesting aside..."fish" is used as the plural when referring to one type of fish, as in "the fish in the pond are all koi;" "fishes" should be used to refer to multiple types of fish, as in "the fishes in the pond are koi, striped bass, and tiger sharks."

And to the "ninjae" comment...I really wish that Latin endings would come back into modern English. "Stadia" is such a fantastic word..."stadiums" sounds terrible in comparison. I mean, we have "data" and "media," don't we? Give "stadia" a chance, please!

War
2007-01-30, 02:14 AM
Interesting aside..."fish" is used as the plural when referring to one type of fish, as in "the fish in the pond are all koi;" "fishes" should be used to refer to multiple types of fish, as in "the fishes in the pond are koi, striped bass, and tiger sharks."
...Which is pretty much what I said.

As far as the setting goes, someone just the other day was noting that many of the names from Azure City are distinctly Korean. It's not a direct analogue of Japan or any other place; I think it works better as something of a standard-issue fantasy world Asian influenced place. Silly colloquialisms are fine.

Wiione
2007-01-30, 02:23 AM
Shouldn't this be in another forum?

CardinalFang
2007-01-30, 02:27 AM
...Which is pretty much what I said.

Wow, I completely missed the word "type" in your first post. Hooray for reading skills. :D

Chaotic Bob
2007-01-30, 02:30 AM
^ Probably, but at any rate, I try to avoid using internet slang. See my sig.

Yorkiebar
2007-01-30, 02:49 AM
:smallconfused: wait, so why can't we use bwn/dwn/qwn?Or lolz0rz!!1!wtfBBQ

It's sad that people actually use netspeak seriously, but at least it's entertaining for the intelligent net-users out there.

vbushido
2007-01-30, 03:04 AM
I've heard "pone" is the official pronunciation of the typo, it's "own" with a p added. Though I still say pawn, because I don't like how "pone" sounds.

It rhymes with bone, lone, prone, hone. This is the way I learned to "say" it. However, I have heard "pween" as a variant pronunciation.

Edit: Whoops, misread your post. Sleep dep pwn'ed my brain.

-----
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Setra
2007-01-30, 03:06 AM
Agreed, netspeak is amusing as long as it isn't overused, and isn't used as an excuse to avoid using real words.

I can understand someone using the word pwn, cause it's a funny word..

but when ppl start 2 spk like this, is it really even comparable to a language?

It rhymes with bone, lone, prone, hone. This is the way I learned to "say" it. However, I have heard "pween" as a variant pronunciation.
I realize this, but in the end yes, most people prefer to say words the way they learn to say them, unless the word has an official pronunciation, it's easier that way.

It's not like people actually use it in real speech anyways, I hope.

onikun86
2007-01-30, 03:41 AM
EVERYONE knows the plural is 'ninja'.
Its Ninjas themselves to sneak that s in.
See? Like right now! They took my ' out of its and over pluraled my Ninjas! Twice!

Glome
2007-01-30, 04:17 AM
so then the plural of Shihtzu is Shihtzu? The plural typhoon is typhoon? The plural of tycoon is tycoon?

On the other hand,if it's the ja ending that shouldn't be made plural, then is the plural of maharaja, maharaja? Is the plural of Soja, Soja?

I'm sorry, I'm not seeing it. Just because the Japanese don't add s to make words plural doesn't mean that we shouldn't do so in English (the Chinese don't have a plural period btw). Japanese has no connection to the English language, just because we borrow a few of their words doesn't mean that we also need to borrow their grammatical rules. The English language has enough exceptions to their rules without having to come up with more of them.

btw, the reason we say sheep and deer is that both words have been perserved in form from a time period in the English language which had different rules for forming plurals. Ninja on the other hand is a loan word burrowed at a time when we make plurals by adding s.

In fact, nearly every language not closely related to English will have different rules for plurals other then adding s to the ending. Trying to implement the grammar of every loan word borrowed into English language will just breed confusion and is just plain dumb.

Demented
2007-01-30, 04:51 AM
(the Chinese don't have a plural period btw)

How do you even have a plural period? It's a punctuation mark, not a noun!

lunar
2007-01-30, 05:00 AM
How do you even have a plural period? It's a punctuation mark, not a noun!

Actually, I think he was commenting on the Chinese birth control policy, not it's grammar.

The plural of Ninja should be Ninja Ninja. We should do fractions the same way. So a Ninja that was cut in half would be a Nir.

Glome
2007-01-30, 05:22 AM
oops, there should have been a comma in there. As for the reduplication of nouns to make plural, such as ninja ninja, that's actually done in some languages such a Malay, but not in Japanese. So you would actually say bamboo bamboo for example, if you were to borrow everyone else's grammar.

Besides, the plural of ninja has to be different then the singular. That's because a single ninja is deadly, while multiple ninjas (or ninja ninja) are pawns to be easily taken down with a roundhouse kick. How would you differentiate the two without using a plural in English?

Yuki Akuma
2007-01-30, 06:24 AM
The Japanese noun 'ninja', meaning a practitioner of one of the many styles of ninjutsu, has a plural form of 'ninja'.

The English noun 'ninja', which means an oriental assassin/scout/martial artist of any discipline has a plural form of 'ninjas'.

This is how language works. Accept it.

darkninjaoflight
2007-01-30, 07:51 AM

Um, in general the plural form of the word would be added on in Japanese, it's not a part of the actual kanji of the word. I have no idea why the kanji "sha" would have to be plural in order to make the world plural. "Watashi" = "I" "Wata****achi" = "we" "ningyo"= doll "ningyotachi"= dolls.
They most certainly don't add an "s" to kanji to make them plural, though I don't think that's what you meant, I thought it was funny nonetheless ^_^

Why would Miko be pronounced Meye-ko? I don't see it at all. The pronounciation works both ways in English.

But just to move on to prove out that this is not just an anomoly:

Sushi
Sashimi
Karate

We do say "kimonos" "pagodas" "tsunamis" "katanas" etc. etc. etc.

Cleverdan22
2007-01-30, 07:55 AM
Yeah, pwn isn't pronounced own, as far as I know, since it WAS a misspelling, its a whole new word now.

averagejoe
2007-01-30, 12:42 PM
Yeah, pwn isn't pronounced own, as far as I know, since it WAS a misspelling, its a whole new word now.

My point exactly.