PDA

View Full Version : {D&D 3.5} Help with lvl1 Halfling Sorceress

Undraukar
2014-02-16, 02:51 PM
Howdy guys! Long-time lurker here just registered :smallbiggrin:

I was wondering if you could lend me a hand. I'm planning a new character, a lvl 1 halfing sorceress. I'm playing a pbp game, so I'm more concerned about inmediate survival than unprobable mid-high progression.

I was thinking about something like:

0-Detect Magic, Read Magic, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation.
1-Grease and/or Color Spray and/or Mage Armor.

So that's the best I can do in combat between slings attacks? What should I take as my first level feat?

Thanks in advance!

-Undraukar

eggynack
2014-02-16, 03:10 PM
Do ya know anything about the party makeup? That can have some influence over this kinda stuff, so you'd more likely want grease in a rogue having party, and maybe you'd rather have enlarge person in a melee guy having party, and so on. The second question is one of book access, for that is also a relevant thing. As for spell choices independent of those things, it might be worth adding silent image to your list. That spell is just ridiculously versatile, to the point where it's likely the best first level spell in the game.

After that, I'd get something a bit more combat oriented, so either grease or color spray would work fine. Those two spells, meaning silent image and the combat spell, can probably do well in a good majority of situations. I'd tend towards grease in a game that'll progress a bit, and color spray in a game that's really stuck in those first few levels, because color spray doesn't scale in the best way. For the feat, that part is somewhat dependent on book access, though if you're stuck in core, improved initiative is always a decent choice.

Meowmasterish
2014-02-16, 08:59 PM
Another lvl 0 spell you could choose could be Launch Bolt. This is only if you don't have a crossbow, of course.

hirojinbrodie
2014-02-16, 09:10 PM
This suggestion comes from a recent character that I am playing. There is a set of feats called Fey Heritage (Complete Mage). Now the line is feat heavy, but it also allows you access to a good variety of spells as SLA. Also there are other interesting features.
Also there are several sorcerer only spells that get augmented by the Draconic Heritage (Races of the Dragon) feat, specifically because of the dragonblooded subtype. This is truly worth it for such spells like Wings of Cover and the like. These are interesting options that aren't for every campaign, but as a sorcerer these are especially useful.

Undraukar
2014-02-17, 03:58 AM
Do ya know anything about the party makeup?

Nope, no idea.

For the feat, that part is somewhat dependent on book access

I think I'll have access to all Wotc published material.

Another lvl 0 spell you could choose could be Launch Bolt. This is only if you don't have a crossbow, of course.

I'll use a small-sized sling.

There is a set of feats called Fey Heritage (Complete Mage). Now the line is feat heavy, but it also allows you access to a good variety of spells as SLA. Also there are other interesting features.

Yeah, I like the Fey Heritage chain a lot. But I will be stuck at low levels. I doubt I'll have level 6 to get those SLA.

kirerellim
2014-02-17, 05:27 AM
If it's open material I would go strongheart halfling for the bonus feat.