PDA

View Full Version : Guessing The Snarl and the Dark One

Wordweaver
2014-02-16, 07:29 PM
An odd thought that came to me recently: Has anyone else considered that the Dark One, who was both nameless and exceptionally powerful for a goblin, has a coloration that strongly resembles the Snarl? Might it be that the Dark One is in some way the avatar of the supposedly mindless Snarl (maybe the Snarl's Nyarlathotep, in a somewhat less negative way)?

Everyl
2014-02-16, 08:43 PM
If this were true, would that mean that the Dark One's real name is Snarlathotep?

Keltest
2014-02-16, 08:52 PM
So would that mean that the ritual to give power over the gates to the Dark One would actually free the snarl?

That seems like one of Nale's plans. Unless the Dark One is simply aware that mortals are so incompetent the gates will get destroyed anyway.

martianmister
2014-02-16, 09:01 PM
I considered it. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192524)

CaDzilla
2014-02-16, 09:04 PM
The Dark One might want to just undo creation entirely so he can have a say in the next universe. Why else would he be so apathetic to his goblins dying? Also the Dark One's basically a shiny pokemon.

Porthos
2014-02-16, 09:20 PM
That would put certain events told about in SoD in a slightly different light.

It would mean, for instance, that The Dark One was pretty much playing dumb when he first found out about the Rifts and asked what was going on 'round here.

Or that he flat out lied to his Head Priest about the whole story.

Truffles
2014-02-16, 09:36 PM
The Dark One wants the snarl to escape, if not control it...
That would cause the gods to retreat to the outer planes again and recreate the planet without any holes/rifts, and during this we would have a say for goblin-kind.
If he had the snarl dominated on the other hand, those gods wouldnt be able to retreat to rebuild...

Keltest
2014-02-16, 09:53 PM
The Dark One wants the snarl to escape, if not control it...
That would cause the gods to retreat to the outer planes again and recreate the planet without any holes/rifts, and during this we would have a say for goblin-kind.
If he had the snarl dominated on the other hand, those gods wouldnt be able to retreat to rebuild...

If the goblins are the one ones with, say, clerical spells, they'll be able to carve out their own spot in the world pretty easily.

Wordweaver
2014-02-17, 03:16 PM
How about this: When the ritual of the Dark One is completed, the rift is indeed shifted - but not to the gods' planes. Instead, it is shifted to each goblinoid, so they are transported to the world inside the rift, where they can finally have a world all their own. Guarded by the Dark One/the Snarl.

Gift Jeraff
2014-02-18, 05:59 PM
I considered it. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192524)

Hmm. I don't know why I was so opposed to it there. It seems fairly plausible to me now.