PDA

View Full Version : [PF] advice for a melee Oracle?

Arbane
2014-02-16, 09:13 PM
Starting up a new campaign, the GM gave us a rather nice stat array, so I was able to make a melee oracle (human, Battle mystery, Legalistic curse). My current plan is to play her a bit like a RuneQuest character - mostly using divine magic as a supplement to good old-fashioned face-to-face violence, not a substitute for it.

Any specific spells/feats I should consider taking, that aren't obviously good? (Or even ones that are - I have been known to miss the obvious.)

So far, I've got:

Esverra
Female Human Oracle 4
Chaotic Good

STR 18
DEX 12
CON 15
INT 12
WIS 10
CHA 18

Curse: Legalistic (sickened for 24 hours when you break your word, once per day, you can make a vow to yourself that grants a +4 morale bonus on any one roll you make while trying to fulfill a promise made to another individual.)
Mystery: Battle

Feats: Extra Revelation: Surprising Charge (Human bonus feat)
Combat Casting (+4 to concentration roll to cast defensively.) (1)
Power Attack: -1 attack for +2 damage (+3 with 2-handed weapon) (3)

Revelations:1: Skill At Arms (Martial weapon & heavy armor proficiency)
3: War Sight (Roll init twice, keep better)

Spells:
4 0th: Create Water, Detect Magic, Light, Mending, Guidance(2), Read Magic(4)
3 1st: Divine Favor, Shield of Faith, Cure Light Wounds (bonus), Enlarge Person (Mystery), Sun Metal (3), Endure Elements (4, favored class bonus)
1 2nd: Bull's Strength (4), Fog Cloud (mystery), Cure Moderate Wounds (bonus)

I was thinking of grabbing Spiritual Weapon/Ally and Toppling Spell later, just for the heck of it. That looks like a fun combo.

Pex
2014-02-16, 10:33 PM
If you are going to use Spiritual Weapon/Ally ask your DM to house rule allowing you to use those spells based on your Charisma modifier instead of as written Wisdom modifier just as Wizard/Sorcerer spells use the casting stat of the caster for similar concept spells. It's a reasonable request.

If you're set on Power Attack take Furious Focus. Not being a full BAB you will miss a lot when using Power Attack. Furious Focus ignores the Power Attack penalty for your first attack in a round or your only attack if you need to move or below 8th level. The penalty still applies for the rest of your attacks in a round, but they were likely to miss anyway. Spell buffs will help land those hits as possible.

A 2nd level spell you want is Grace. A swift action to cast, you do not provoke an attack of opportunity for moving. This allows you great flexibility to move about the battlefield. Since you're a spontaneous caster you get to cast it when ever and as often you need.

When you can cast 4th level spells the spell you want is Blessing of Fervor. You buff yourself and your party with it. Your party will love you. It's like Haste with more options. It's better than Divine Power for the spell known. If need be you get the same benefit as Divine Power except for the temporary hit points but have a lot more options you may need such as extra movement speed or cast an extended 2nd level spell as a standard action using a 2nd level spell slot without having the feat.

Do occasionally buff the party warriors. It's a sound tactic, and you don't need to get the killing blow all the time.

Arbane
2014-02-16, 11:35 PM
If you are going to use Spiritual Weapon/Ally ask your DM to house rule allowing you to use those spells based on your Charisma modifier instead of as written Wisdom modifier just as Wizard/Sorcerer spells use the casting stat of the caster for similar concept spells. It's a reasonable request.

Already did.

If you're set on Power Attack take Furious Focus. Not being a full BAB you will miss a lot when using Power Attack.

Ok, planning on that next. (And after that, maybe Cornugon Smash.)

When you can cast 4th level spells the spell you want is Blessing of Fervor.

I've seen that one in action, and it is indeed fun.

Do occasionally buff the party warriors. It's a sound tactic, and you don't need to get the killing blow all the time.

...But I was going to take Deadly Juggernaut... T_T

(All good advice- thanks!)