PDA

View Full Version : opinion on potential cheese

paperarmor
2014-02-16, 10:27 PM
So I was wondering if a character that used wands of Celerity and Dimension Door to get free out of turn movement is cheesy?

Grod_The_Giant
2014-02-16, 10:32 PM
"Wand of Celerity" actually makes me die a little bit inside.

paperarmor
2014-02-16, 10:37 PM
why's that may I ask?

Grod_The_Giant
2014-02-16, 10:42 PM
Celerity ranks pretty high up there on lists of most abusive spells in the game. Paying 400 gold for a standard action is just ludicrous.

HunterOfJello
2014-02-16, 10:48 PM
Do you have Quick Draw? Otherwise you're going to need to take two move actions to pull out both wands each time you want to use that combo (which will take up a turn that you could have just used to cast dimension door in the first place). You also can't pull out the wand of celerity on someone else's turn, nevermind take immediate actions when you're flat-footed.

Immediate Action wands sound nice, but you'll be hard pressed to get very many in a position where you can always cast them as needed.

Keldrin
2014-02-16, 10:52 PM
Wand chamber.

paperarmor
2014-02-16, 10:53 PM
Grod: I can see what you mean shortly after I posted that I thought about some of the terribad things to do with it its bad. However, stuff like this tends to fly in my group for whatever reason.

Hunter of Jello well if I were to do this I'd have them in wand chambers probably on a twf bard

Edit: Swordsaged

OldTrees1
2014-02-16, 11:11 PM
So I was wondering if a character that used wands of Celerity and Dimension Door to get free out of turn movement is cheesy?

Yes, but consider asking the DM for a pair of boots with Immediate Action movement X times/day. This way the usage is restricted to the less abusive, yet desired, usage.

eggynack
2014-02-16, 11:13 PM
Do wands of celerity even work? It looks like they bottom out at standard actions.

Brookshw
2014-02-17, 08:26 AM
Do wands of celerity even work? It looks like they bottom out at standard actions.

I think you're correct.

nedz
2014-02-17, 08:31 AM
Activation

Wands use the spell trigger activation method, so casting a spell from a wand is usually a standard action that doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity. (If the spell being cast, however, has a longer casting time than 1 standard action, it takes that long to cast the spell from a wand.)

Well it says usually a standard action, but then qualifies that to talk about spells with a longer casting time. So the SRD seems to be silent on this question.

Segev
2014-02-17, 08:45 AM
Given the construction of the rules, which say "usually standard actions" and then spell out the exception that makes it not "always," and that exception does not include "spells with a shorter casting time," the RAW are not silent on the issue. You can try to rules-lawyer it, but you're deliberately rejecting the syntactical construction of the language in which the rules are written to do so, at which point you can start interpreting just about anything to be anything.

As written, using standard English reading of the clauses, "usually" specifies that exceptions exist, and then the exception is spelled out, closing off other avenues without additional language to indicate that there are other exceptions.

So, no. The RAW are not silent nor obtuse here unless one deliberately tries to make them so. One can only use a Wand of Celerity as a standard action, absent other mechanics (such as twin wand wielder) that change this base state. So a wand of Celerity is...rather useless.

paperarmor
2014-02-17, 10:07 AM
Huh? I thought that using a wand used the same action as the spell it contains

Cog
2014-02-17, 10:14 AM
There's no rules-lawyering needed, as the Rules Compendium addressed this issue; spell trigger items like wands use the same activation time as the base spell.

nedz
2014-02-17, 10:20 AM
Casting Time
Most spells have a casting time of 1 standard action. Others take 1 round or more, while a few require only a free action.

Most is consistent with Usually, also Rules compendium

Segev
2014-02-17, 10:42 AM
There's no rules-lawyering needed, as the Rules Compendium addressed this issue; spell trigger items like wands use the same activation time as the base spell.

Oh, did it? Okay! I haven't got the Rules Compendium.

eggynack
2014-02-17, 11:18 AM
Fair enough then.