PDA

View Full Version : Desperation strategies

Xuldarinar
2014-02-16, 11:52 PM
Simply put, I want to discuss different things someone could do in a pinch, when death is certain, what tricks one can pull out to either survive or at least make sure the other guy may drop dead first. If you have any ideas of your own you want to share or anything to share on previously mentioned ones, then by all means say so.

What brought this up was a mystery, Consume Essence. Consume Essence is a 9th-level touch mystery that kills the target (Will save negates), then raises them from the dead for a number of rounds equal to your caster level, with the dark template tacked on. At the end of the duration, the creature dies again. It occurred to me, as a touch spell, someone could easily use it on an ally or themselves if the situation called for it. Obviously you wouldn't employ this as a regular strategy, unless you had some 'easy' method of recovery, but in desperation I think it could be useful.

eggynack
2014-02-16, 11:55 PM
I consider many SoD's to be something of a desperation strategy, especially if there's no impact on a passed save. there's a lot of variance there, and it's not the sort of risk you should take unless you have to.

Techwarrior
2014-02-17, 01:36 AM
Simply put, I want to discuss different things someone could do in a pinch, when death is certain, what tricks one can pull out to either survive or at least make sure the other guy may drop dead first. If you have any ideas of your own you want to share or anything to share on previously mentioned ones, then by all means say so.

What brought this up was a mystery, Consume Essence. Consume Essence is a 9th-level touch mystery that kills the target (Will save negates), then raises them from the dead for a number of rounds equal to your caster level, with the dark template tacked on. At the end of the duration, the creature dies again. It occurred to me, as a touch spell, someone could easily use it on an ally or themselves if the situation called for it. Obviously you wouldn't employ this as a regular strategy, unless you had some 'easy' method of recovery, but in desperation I think it could be useful.

Whisper the Lost (a rogue I played) used a Scroll of Invisible Spell Last Breath to raise the party Archivist and then bought 11 rounds of game time with a Holy Avenger for the party to be raised, healed, and rebuffed.

Invisible Spell reviving scrolls on the rogue are damn handy.

Brookshw
2014-02-17, 07:14 AM
Force cage is pretty useful in any situation but works well for desperation if multiple opponents, gather up the group, forcecage, enjoy some downtime/regroup.

Running away (fly/teleport/etc).

Particle_Man
2014-02-17, 12:41 PM
There is a magic staff that does a crap load of damage if you break it, but trouble is you are at ground zero when you break it.

KnotKnormal
2014-02-17, 12:50 PM
In a high level game once I surrounded myself and the BBEG with all my summons and then chained the Detonate spell, killed us both but I went down as a hero.

Zirconia
2014-02-17, 12:56 PM
There is a magic staff that does a crap load of damage if you break it, but trouble is you are at ground zero when you break it.

Staff of Power in AD&D, I used that with a clone of myself to take out the BBEG one time. It surprised the DM. :)

nedz
2014-02-17, 01:22 PM
The Staff of Power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/staffs.htm#power) still exists, as does Staff of the Magi (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/artifacts.htm#staffoftheMagi). You can do a Retributive Strike with either.

TheMonocleRogue
2014-02-17, 05:49 PM
Casting resilient sphere on yourself at low levels can buy you more than enough time to heal up with potions and ready yourself with buffs. Only gaze attacks and teleportation can pass through unless the baddies can break a hardness of 30 and deal 20 per caster level damage to break it.

If you want to sacrifice yourself for the greater good, you could consider Plane Shifting to a plane the BBEG is weak to and taking him along for the ride. Another great tactic is putting on a neckless of fireballs VII, casting burning hands on yourself, and purposefully failing the saving throw for 58d6 fire damage in a 20ft burst.

Nibbens
2014-02-17, 06:41 PM
Another great tactic is putting on a neckless of fireballs VII, casting burning hands on yourself, and purposefully failing the saving throw for 58d6 fire damage in a 20ft burst

Burning hands is a standard action. Throwing it is a standard action. Can't you just throw the whole necklace and get the same effect without taking 58d6 damage to your face as well? Or am i reading something wrong here?

Melayl
2014-02-17, 07:14 PM
Burning hands is a standard action. Throwing it is a standard action. Can't you just throw the whole necklace and get the same effect without taking 58d6 damage to your face as well? Or am i reading something wrong here?

I believe it was meant to be a self-sacrifice situation... but it would be better if you could throw, then cast.