PDA

View Full Version : Puzzled Silly question

rbetieh
2014-02-17, 12:43 AM
Why do dragons worship Tiamat when they could just as easily be worshiping Dragon? Are there any dragon Dragon followers?

Domino Quartz
2014-02-17, 12:46 AM
Because they're not from the Southern Continent.

Ridureyu
2014-02-17, 12:52 AM
Dragon only has one head. Tiamat has five.

FIVE HEADS GOOD. ONE HEAD BAAAAAD. FIVE HEADS GOOD. ONE HEAD BAAAAAD. FIVE HEADS GOOD. ONE HEAD BAAAAAD.

rbetieh
2014-02-17, 12:56 AM
Because they're not from the Southern Continent.

dragons don't fly south for the winter?

Domino Quartz
2014-02-17, 01:00 AM
My post says "not from," not "not in."

jidasfire
2014-02-17, 01:06 AM
It's not stated, but my inference is that the evil dragons follow Tiamat, while the good ones serve Dragon.

Domino Quartz
2014-02-17, 01:08 AM
It's not stated, but my inference is that the evil dragons follow Tiamat, while the good ones serve Dragon.

That makes sense to me.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-02-17, 01:10 AM
Tiamat has the heads of the Chromatic Dragon colors (Red, Green, Black, White, Blue), so perhaps she has the Chromatic Dragons and Dragon gets the Metallic Dragons?

Greatmoustache
2014-02-17, 09:19 AM

FIVE HEADS GOOD. ONE HEAD BAAAAAD. FIVE HEADS GOOD. ONE HEAD BAAAAAD. FIVE HEADS GOOD. ONE HEAD BAAAAAD.

yeah, this. a dragon with five dragon heads is five times more a dragon than a dragon with just one dragon head.

Tiiba
2014-02-17, 09:57 AM

Hey, is that from somewhere? It sounds vaguely familiar. Or it just SOUNDS like a quote.

Breccia
2014-02-17, 09:59 AM
It's purely a matter of taste. Tiamat advocates that her followers take whatever they want, and this includes a diet filled with livestock, maidens, adventurers, and silly halflings who think a ring of invisibility will work on their senses.

Dragon, meanwhile, advocates a diet mostly consisting of avacado, eel, cucumber and crab wrapped around seaweed and rice. Blue dragons, with a desert-based ecology, can get behind the avacado no problem, but are less interested in crab or eel. Black dragons favor cucumbers and rice, but less so seaweed. It's just not something they can get behind. That's not how all dragons roll.

Keltest
2014-02-17, 10:04 AM
Hey, is that from somewhere? It sounds vaguely familiar. Or it just SOUNDS like a quote.

Its mimicking Animal farm, where a big element was sheep who chanted "Four legs good, two legs baaaad."

blueblade
2014-02-17, 10:34 AM
That's not how all dragons roll.

I see you hiding there!

Jay R
2014-02-17, 10:57 AM
That question should be put to the DM. Since there isn't one, here is the answer I would give if I were DM.

You are making the assumption that all religions are based on the idea that you choose a deity to follow. This is not true.

Chinese astrology assumes that each year in a twelve-year-cycle is assigned to one of the twelve animals, and that determines who you are under. People no more "choose" to be associated with Dragon than they "choose" to be a Taurus or a Libra.

If I were the DM, then Dragon would be the deity of those people from the right area who were born in a Year of the Dragon. (And I would have to make a decision, which the players would not automatically know, about whether the 12 Chinese Animals care about other races.)

CletusMusashi
2014-02-17, 01:29 PM

They could be carried by a swallow...

Keltest
2014-02-17, 01:38 PM

what do you mean? Western or Northern swallow?

rbetieh
2014-02-17, 01:46 PM

A five ounce bird....

But seriously, the comic stipulated somewhere in the scribblers sequence that it was Dragon that ensured that dragons could breathe fire. I would hope they would be a bit more grateful.

Roland Itiative
2014-02-17, 01:48 PM
It should be noted that the dragons we've seen up until now are western dragons (somewhat dinosaur-looking), while Dragon is a eastern dragon (more similar to a sea serpent). Aside from sharing a name, they have very little in common with each other in real-life mythology, and probably in OotS too.

So, Tiamat probably created the western dragons, and there may be some eastern dragons we never saw hanging out somewhere. Since Tiamat is portrayed as an evil goddess, and there is no "Bahamut" to be her opposite (since this Tiamat is part of a Babylonian-inspired pantheon, not a D&D-inspired one), maybe the metallic dragons in OotS (which we know exist, as they've been mentioned before) are all eastern dragons, and thus worship Dragon?

Sure, a chromatic dragon that repents from their evil ways could worship Dragon, or any other deity for that matter (just like the evil ones are free to worship any other evil god), but they probably have a bias towards the god that actually created their race.

hamishspence
2014-02-17, 01:52 PM
Alternatively, they could follow Marduk of the Western Pantheon (who has actually been treated as an alternative identity of Bahamut, in Forgotten Realms lore).

Having both chromatic and metallic dragons follow Western deities might be a bit odd though.

ti'esar
2014-02-17, 03:33 PM
Alternatively, they could follow Marduk of the Western Pantheon (who has actually been treated as an alternative identity of Bahamut, in Forgotten Realms lore).

Having both chromatic and metallic dragons follow Western deities might be a bit odd though.

In support of this, we have the short, unhappy Macebook saga of Kotor, paladin of Marduk. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0739.html)

Sir_Leorik
2014-02-17, 04:14 PM
Dragon, meanwhile, advocates a diet mostly consisting of avacado, eel, cucumber and crab wrapped around seaweed and rice. Blue dragons, with a desert-based ecology, can get behind the avacado no problem, but are less interested in crab or eel. Black dragons favor cucumbers and rice, but less so seaweed. It's just not something they can get behind. That's not how all dragons roll.

Technically, the rice and seaweed are wrapped around the avacado, eel, cucumber and crab. When hot peppers are added it's called a Red Dragon Roll; when pickled cucumbers are used it's a Black Dragon Roll; when hearts of palm are used it's a White Dragon Roll; and when there's no fish it's a Green Dragon Roll. If there's something blue in it, it's a good idea to ask the sushi vendor just what he's serving you. :smallwink:

martianmister
2014-02-17, 04:51 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/redxiv/oracle.gif "So called the Dragon is clearly a part of mammalian establishment, and a betrayer of reptilian supremacy. Tiamat is the path for true reptilian!"

rbetieh
2014-02-18, 01:22 AM
Technically, the rice and seaweed are wrapped around the avacado, eel, cucumber and crab. When hot peppers are added it's called a Red Dragon Roll; when pickled cucumbers are used it's a Black Dragon Roll; when hearts of palm are used it's a White Dragon Roll; and when there's no fish it's a Green Dragon Roll. If there's something blue in it, it's a good idea to ask the sushi vendor just what he's serving you. :smallwink:

Wow, I ask a silly question about the religious preferences of dragons and end up witnessing an episode of Iron Chef: Dragon. Secret ingredient: Seaweed.:smallbiggrin:

Sir_Leorik
2014-02-18, 03:37 PM
Wow, I ask a silly question about the religious preferences of dragons and end up witnessing an episode of Iron Chef: Dragon. Secret ingredient: Seaweed.:smallbiggrin:

My dad co-owns a Kosher Sushi restaurant. I have been learning more things about wrapping fish, vegetables, fruit and imitation crab in rice and seaweed than I ever wanted to. :smallbiggrin:

ETA: Before anyone asks, imitation crab is just whitefish with spices. :smallwink:

zimmerwald1915
2014-02-18, 04:03 PM
So, Tiamat probably created the western dragons, and there may be some eastern dragons we never saw hanging out somewhere. Since Tiamat is portrayed as an evil goddess, and there is no "Bahamut" to be her opposite (since this Tiamat is part of a Babylonian-inspired pantheon, not a D&D-inspired one), maybe the metallic dragons in OotS (which we know exist, as they've been mentioned before) are all eastern dragons, and thus worship Dragon?
The ancient silver dragon Xykon and Redcloak fought for possession of Xykon's backup fortress had the same body pattern as the white dragon from the Kickstarter chart and the ancient black dragon who...let's say stalked the Azurite Fleet. Gosh I wish these characters had names. Anyway, that silver dragon did not share Dragon's lung-like body pattern.