PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Polymorph, Alternate Form, and Soulmelds

Red Fel
2014-02-17, 08:16 AM
Hello, kids. I'd like to talk to you about Soulmelds.

Actually, I have a question. So let's start from basics.

Suppose you have a character, PC or NPC, who, due to either class or race abilities, has access to the Alternate Form (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#alternateForm) ability (e.g. as a Changeling, Lycanthrope, or Druid) or Polymorph (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorph.htm) or Alter Self (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/alterSelf.htm) (e.g. as a Tibbit or Wizard). This character also has the ability to shape Soulmelds, and has several shaped at the time of using the Alternate Form/Polymorph/Alter Self ability/spell.

What happens to the soulmelds? Do they:
1. Become inert and get absorbed into the new form?
2. Remain active on top of the new form?
3. Remain active but get absorbed into the new form?
4. Fall off somehow?
5. Varies, based upon slot?

Because Soulmelds aren't magic items, but simply take up the slot, I figure the mechanics may or may not be different. I realize also that, because the language of Alternate Form differs from Polymorph/Alter Self, the result may also differ.

For reference, consider the following language:

Any gear worn or carried by the creature that can’t be worn or carried in its new form instead falls to the ground in its space. If the creature changes size, any gear it wears or carries that can be worn or carried in its new form changes size to match the new size. (Nonhumanoid-shaped creatures can’t wear armor designed for humanoid-shaped creatures, and vice versa.)

This spell functions like alter self,

When the change occurs, your equipment, if any, either remains worn or held by the new form (if it is capable of wearing or holding the item), or melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional. When you revert to your true form, any objects previously melded into the new form reappear in the same location on your body they previously occupied and are once again functional. Any new items you wore in the assumed form and can’t wear in your normal form fall off and land at your feet; any that you could wear in either form or carry in a body part common to both forms at the time of reversion are still held in the same way.

So, what happens? Do you get a wolf with glowing silhouetted gear floating around it? Do your Airstep Sandals fall off to the ground? Do all the glowy bits sink in but continue to work, or do they just go quiet?

Segev
2014-02-17, 08:20 AM
They're not magic items, so the rules about them falling off wouldn't apply. Their cosmetic appearance is, honestly, fluff, and thus should change to make sense. However, there's no reason in the rules as written that soulmelds would disappear or cease functioning just because you changed form.

Chronos
2014-02-17, 11:17 AM
Most creatures have most chakras, and if your new form has the appropriate chakra, I can't see any reason the soulmeld would cease to function. Some creatures do lack some chakras, though. What would happen if you have something shaped on, say, your hands, and then turn into a snake?

Segev
2014-02-17, 11:39 AM
Honestly, with the exception of PAO, none of them say you become the creature, but rather that you assume their form. What of you determines your Chakras? Your form? Your true form? Your soul? Your mind?

IT's not covered. Since RAW is silent, the default would be that you still have them shaped and useful. The DM would need to house rule (and would be doing so quite reasonably) to change this; he'd probably need to define how chakras work for his game to answer the question definitively, though.

Red Fel
2014-02-17, 02:04 PM
So, by way of example, if a Tibbit Incarnate had soulmelds shaped in every slot, and turned into an ittybittykitty, it would be an ittybittykitty with glowy eyes, a scarf, bracers, a vest, a helmet, boots, and the silhouette of a slaad?

jindra34
2014-02-17, 02:13 PM
So, by way of example, if a Tibbit Incarnate had soulmelds shaped in every slot, and turned into an ittybittykitty, it would be an ittybittykitty with glowy eyes, a scarf, bracers, a vest, a helmet, boots, and the silhouette of a slaad?

To kitty size and shape yes. And a cat has all chakras anyways... so no real issue ever.

infomatic
2014-02-17, 06:55 PM

Exactly like every other kitty, yes. Or maybe that's just mine?

Chronos
2014-02-17, 10:51 PM
One win awarded to infomatic.

bekeleven
2014-02-17, 10:53 PM
Most creatures have most chakras, and if your new form has the appropriate chakra, I can't see any reason the soulmeld would cease to function. Some creatures do lack some chakras, though. What would happen if you have something shaped on, say, your hands, and then turn into a snake?

Alternatively, what if you have a helmet, change into a snake, then bind something to your crown chakra and change back?

Segev
2014-02-17, 10:57 PM
Same thing that happens if you wear a headband and a helmet, or bind a soulmeld to your head chakra and don a helmet.