PDA

View Full Version : do any of the teams remind you of your players?

HardcoreD&Dgirl
2014-02-17, 09:58 AM
I've been reading for a long time now, and I see a lot of pay styles mimicked by the order, but I just shared this with a friend and his wife (I don't know how they missed this story up till now) and they brought up other similarities.

Looking closer last night we talked about seeing players in the liner guild, tarken's group, and the elf team that I can't remember the name of.

do any of you look at any of the teams and see D&D players or is it just us?

Keltest
2014-02-17, 10:10 AM
I've been reading for a long time now, and I see a lot of pay styles mimicked by the order, but I just shared this with a friend and his wife (I don't know how they missed this story up till now) and they brought up other similarities.

Looking closer last night we talked about seeing players in the liner guild, tarken's group, and the elf team that I can't remember the name of.

Ive got a friend who plays his character almost exactly like Belkar. "See monster, kill monster, take loot."

and he gets away with it because he makes big HPs turn into small HPs.

Ceaon
2014-02-17, 10:13 AM

I'm curious what kind of similarities you guys have found.
Because at this point, the characters don't feel like examples of RPG-character-play-styles to me anymore (some never have).

Keltest
2014-02-17, 10:14 AM
I'm curious what kind of similarities you guys have found.
Because at this point, the characters don't feel like examples of RPG-character-play-styles to me anymore (some never have).

Well, they were never meant to represent a game, remember? Theyre characters who live in a world that follows D&D rules, not characters in the game.

Ceaon
2014-02-17, 11:58 AM
Nor did I claim they were. Some (like Durkon or Belkar) could easily be seen as examples of typical player behavior (whether intentional or not).

Mrc.
2014-02-17, 12:17 PM
I've had players play similar to Roy, as in a tactical fighter. But they used Warblade, which was designed for that. And one guy played a near perfect replica of Miko.

Sloanzilla
2014-02-17, 12:55 PM
I played a LN elven wizard who was a lot like V minus the epic evil spell/devil deal.

There's a sorceress in our party right now who is very very similar to Hayley.

And yeah, 2/3 of the new player barbarians I've ever played with have basically been Belkars.

It's hard, with a point buy system, to get a melee character as smart, personable and wise as Roy. My current half orc is a good warrior-tactician, but he's too blunt and socially awkward to show Roy's leadership abilities.

ti'esar
2014-02-17, 03:42 PM
I've never run an evil campaign, so this isn't an example I'm personally familiar with, but the dynamic between Tsukiko and Redcloak always struck me as slightly resembling what I'm given to understand is a common interplayer conflict in that sort of campaign. Redcloak is analogous to the player with a detailed backstory and complex motivations for why his character does what he does that go well beyond his written alignment, while Tsukiko has a shallower "evil is cool" attitude.

(It doesn't entirely work, but then, they aren't actually players, they're "real" characters).

Keltest
2014-02-17, 03:45 PM
I've never run an evil campaign, so this isn't an example I'm personally familiar with, but the dynamic between Tsukiko and Redcloak always struck me as slightly resembling what I'm given to understand is a common interplayer conflict in that sort of campaign. Redcloak is analogous to the player with a detailed backstory and complex motivations for why his character does what he does that go well beyond his written alignment, while Tsukiko has a shallower "evil is cool" attitude.

(It doesn't entirely work, but then, they aren't actually players, they're "real" characters).

Ive never read Tsukiko like that, really. She seemed a victim of society (self inflicted, of course) who wasn't going to take it anymore. She had a specific, albeit bad, reason for her malevolence.

ti'esar
2014-02-17, 03:48 PM
Ive never read Tsukiko like that, really. She seemed a victim of society (self inflicted, of course) who wasn't going to take it anymore. She had a specific, albeit bad, reason for her malevolence.

I don't read Tsukiko, the person, like that either (although I do think her motives were ultimately closer to shallow teenage angst than true mistreatment by society). But I do feel like the parallel sort of exists on a meta level.

Keltest
2014-02-17, 03:51 PM
I don't read Tsukiko, the person, like that either (although I do think her motives were ultimately closer to shallow teenage angst than true mistreatment by society). But I do feel like the parallel sort of exists on a meta level.

Yeah, I can see what you mean. Even (especially) the part where Tsutkiko annoys Redcloak half to death while he barely phases her.

veti
2014-02-17, 04:00 PM
I've always thought all of the Order were very recognisable play styles. I've certainly known Elans, Haleys, Roys and Belkars. Durkon is a bit harder to pin down, because he's so reserved - but I've known players like that too, you hardly know they're there most of the time.

Vaarsuvius is an exception, I don't think I've ever played with one of those.

Keltest
2014-02-17, 04:04 PM
I've always thought all of the Order were very recognisable play styles. I've certainly known Elans, Haleys, Roys and Belkars. Durkon is a bit harder to pin down, because he's so reserved - but I've known players like that too, you hardly know they're there most of the time.

Vaarsuvius is an exception, I don't think I've ever played with one of those.

I have. While being particularly verbose may be a personality trait unique to him, ive seen lots of people who play wizards for the sake of making large smoking craters without regards to the consequences.

veti
2014-02-17, 05:43 PM
I have. While being particularly verbose may be a personality trait unique to him, ive seen lots of people who play wizards for the sake of making large smoking craters without regards to the consequences.

That would be a chaotic version of Vaarsuvius. V thinks about consequences all the time. Even when she killed Kubota, she didn't do it for fun - she did it because of the consequences.

The only exception was when she went completely doolally during the Soul Splice episode. But that was not typical for her.

Keltest
2014-02-17, 05:57 PM
That would be a chaotic version of Vaarsuvius. V thinks about consequences all the time. Even when she killed Kubota, she didn't do it for fun - she did it because of the consequences.

The only exception was when she went completely doolally during the Soul Splice episode. But that was not typical for her.

Let me rephrase: They fire all their guns at once and pick up the pieces once that's done.