PDA

View Full Version : Help protecting the party from scrying?

IIzak
2014-02-17, 10:26 AM
Okay, so I am a warforged artificer (lvl 9) that is completely focused on crafting items; so much so that my dm allowed me to take the artisan feats multiple times and let them stack (very happy about that BTW, took the $ one 3x and the XP one 2x, so items cost 75% less $ and 50% less XP).

Recently, I've realized that our party is going to have a big problem as far as people finding us based on scrying. So I'd like to make either an item, or multiple items, that will make us much more difficult to find via scrying. I'd prefer to make just one item that would give the party a blanket protection, but I need something that works better than the necklace of non-detection.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Yuki Akuma
2014-02-17, 10:44 AM
Well. Mind Blank is the obvious choice, although as an 8th level spell I'm unsure you can make an item of it.

Personal Mind Blank is 7th level, but it's also, you know, psionic, not a spell.

Although if your DM is using scry-and-die tactics on the party I don't think there's much you can do about it. Any DM willing to do that might be willing to just ignore your Mind Blank. :smalltongue:

Brookshw
2014-02-17, 10:47 AM
Third eye concealment are good but probably unavailable at that level. Lead lining never hurts. You can always focus on good will saves.

Segev
2014-02-17, 10:53 AM
Screen (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/screen.htm) would be my go-to choice, but you probably can't make an item of that for several more levels.

How about a staff with a censer swinging from it that has a Silent Image of a thick incense and mist swirling out of it? Cover a decent amount of space around the party, and let THEM know that it's an illusion so they can save against it at +4. Others might notice they can't smell it, but people scrying usually just have sight and sound. They can't "interact" with it to get a save.

Your allies, therefore, can see through it by making their save (it's only DC 11 or so), but enemies who don't save (for whatever reason) and especially people scrying on you will just see thick smoke or mist.

IIzak
2014-02-17, 11:09 AM
I talked to the DM, and he told me that when stuff is ready to happen, its probably going to happen, but if I do manage to protect in this way, then its going to be ready a lot later because the bad guys will have to use manpower to find us rather than magic, which gives us more time to be ready to deal with said stuff.

Segev, I like both of the ideas, very flavorful and fun, but I feel like the staff would be a bit encumbering, and I have to double check, but I'm pretty sure I'm not high enough lvl to make 8th level spells into items. That's the sort of stuff my DM rewards though, I'm just having some creativity problems on this right now. If you can think of a way that it would work, my dm is usually willing to work with me on making custom items. I really would like a solution as quickly as possible.

Sith_Happens
2014-02-17, 11:39 AM
Base the item off of False Vision. People can still scry you, but when they do they see a pre-designed glamer with no save.

Segev
2014-02-17, 11:59 AM
I feel like the staff would be a bit encumbering,The staff was just a form factor that I thought looked cool. You can put it on anything. For double price, you could make it an ioun stone.

The original version of the item that I came up with was for use in person, and combined Create Water (to create the clammy touch of real mist or fog) and Silent Image (of thick fog) on a mist-gray cloak with a voluminous hood. When the hood is up, it activates.

Nobody who isn't TOLD its an illusion should really get a save, since interacting with the "fog" gives them that clammy feeling on their flesh and leaves them unable to see. No tell, there.

Point being, form factor can be something worn, if you prefer.

I have to double check, but I'm pretty sure I'm not high enough lvl to make 8th level spells into items.You're not, sadly, no. The idea of False Vision might work, though. I just couldn't find the spell to suggest it.

That's the sort of stuff my DM rewards though, I'm just having some creativity problems on this right now. If you can think of a way that it would work, my dm is usually willing to work with me on making custom items. I really would like a solution as quickly as possible.

You could also make extensive use of Invisibility when not in combat; that might work. If you suspect your foes have See Invisible on their scrying device, combine it with an Invisible Spell-metamagic'd Obscuring Mist. Now, they either see nothing (not seeing invisible things) or see mist (since it's visible to their see invisible)!

Lord Vukodlak
2014-02-17, 04:10 PM
Well an item of non-detection is going to be to expensive, but perhaps not to expensive with your reductions. [Base market price 66,000gp) Presuming you make them at a caster level of 11 for a DC of 26.
So your foes would have to make a CL check of 26 in order to scry on the protected subject.
Presuming your foes are of equal level to you that is a damn high check don't underestimate its value

An item of detect scrying could also be useful, the spell lasts 24 hours so the cost will be low especially with your own reductions added on top. This could give you some warning that they're watching and possibly incoming for an attack. Do you know what's better then preventing a scry and die ambush? turning the tables.

Without greater teleport, scrying for a couple rounds before porting in has a 25% chance of failure. They'd need to watch you for an hour to qualify for studied carefully. Couple that with false vision and you could have a death trap waiting

Zweisteine
2014-02-17, 04:38 PM
If the enemy will teleport in after scrying, and that's what you have to worry about, there is a spell (or a power) to redirect teleports.

Constantly be on the move.

I know there is at least one spell/ability that hurts people scrying on you.

TheMonocleRogue
2014-02-17, 05:17 PM
Rope Trick

2nd level spell, lasts 2 hours per level and can fit up to 8 medium sized creatures. Scrying sensors can't see into it. Using extend spell on a wand at your caster level can keep it up for more than 24 hours.

Mage's Private Sanctum

Wards an area you designate against all divinations and/or eavesdropping outside. It's a 5th level spell that lasts 24 hours and you can make it permanent with permanency.

Screen

Tricks scrying with an illusion. Works incredibly well since it only allows a save if the scryer has a reason to disbelieve it. 24 hour duration, but it's an 8th level spell and you have to create a good illusion to keep the BBEG guessing.

Nerd-o-rama
2014-02-17, 05:18 PM
Rope Trick is also viable on an Eternal Wand.

Just saying.

weckar
2014-02-17, 05:26 PM
You may prefer an item to detect scrying, because at least then you know when things are going south.

Lord Vukodlak
2014-02-17, 05:27 PM
Rope Trick

2nd level spell, lasts 2 hours per level and can fit up to 8 medium sized creatures. Scrying sensors can't see into it. Using extend spell on a wand at your caster level can keep it up for more than 24 hours.

Two problems
One they can't spend every hour of every day in the ropetrick and secondly Scrying works across planes it will work inside a ropetrick so there is no protection.

Nerd-o-rama
2014-02-17, 06:00 PM
Two problems
One they can't spend every hour of every day in the ropetrick and secondly Scrying works across planes it will work inside a ropetrick so there is no protection.

It does give a +5 to your Will save while resting, though, which ain't bad for a second-level spell.