PDA

View Full Version : My poor Thri-Kreen

PJCDragon
2014-02-17, 11:01 AM
I am building a character for a 3.5e campaign.

The concept behind this character is to be able to charge across the battlefield invisibly and make a full attack (4 claws + 1 bite per 5 BAB, all with skirmish and sudden strike damage), then run off again and hide. I am not sure how best to accomplish this, as I am unsure of the interaction (if any) between charging, spring attack, and attacking with natural weapons. Mainly, can i charge and make a full attack(with sphinx claws) then keep moving the rest of my speed with spring attack, or do I need soething else to do it? I have plenty of skill points, and will be making prodigious use of skill tricks. Does the skill trick Mosquito's Bite work with natural attacks?

ECL 20: RHD 2/Scout 12/Ninja 4

Ninja is for Ghost Step and Great Leap, plus some nice sudden strike and Wis to AC.
Scout for Spring attack, bonus movement speed, ect.

I am not really sure what to take for feats past level 9, and I am concerned about damage reduction that isn't good or magic at later levels. I can't have magic items, due to vow, but there must be a way to accomplish it with feats. Lycanthropes are big in this setting, as are undead and outsiders.

Also, as I am not using the psionic abilities listed in the EPB, does that affect my ECL? (specifically, is there a variant rule for non-psionic kreen?)

My current starting build is looking like this
Scores were rolled with DM:
Str: 14 + 2 racial = 16 (+3 )
Dex: 18 + 4 racial = 22 (+6)
Con: 14 = 14 (+2)
Int: 15 - 2 racial = 13 (+1)
Wis: 18 + 2 racial = 20 (+5)
Cha: 12 - 4 racial = 8 (-1)

Feats
Level 1/Racial HD 1
Sacred Vow
Vow of Poverty (1st Flaw)
Nymph's Kiss (VoP)
Dodge (2nd Flaw)

I took Vow of Poverty at 1st level to get the extra feat that it grants at level 1, which I then used for Nymphs Kiss for the bonus skill points per level. Dodge is there for spring attack, but if spring attack wont help me, what should i drop it for?

Level 2/RHD 2
Touch of Golden Ice (VoP)

Level 3/RHD 2/Scout 1 (ECL 5?)
Unlock Soulmeld (Sphinx Claws)

Later levels
lvl 4: Intuitive Attack (VoP)
lvl 6: Open Least Chakra (Hands)
Mobility (Scout)
Sanctify Natural Attack (VoP)
lvl 8:Nimbus of Light (VoP)
lvl 9:Spring Attack
Improved Nat Attack

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or corrections you may have.

Magesmiley
2014-02-17, 12:55 PM
Look really hard at a warblade focused on Tiger Claw. One of the maneuvers available (the name is escaping me) lets you make a jump as a swift action. Combined with the thri-kreen's +30 racial modifier to jump, it effectively lets you move and make a full attack in a single round.

Gemini476
2014-02-17, 01:47 PM
Spring Attack is fairly horrible; it just lets you split your movement around a single attack. Unless you are playing in an E6 game as someone with only one attack yet superior movement speed, avoid it like the plague.

Also, does the Thri-Kreen really get an extra bite attack per 5 BAB? I'll need to reread it to check, but generally you don't get iteratives with natural attacks.

Artillery
2014-02-17, 02:07 PM
Don't use the spring attack line. It doesn't do what you want. I see that Sphinx claws let you get a full attack after a charge with your natural weapons weapons so that is fine.

You cannot make iteratives with natural attacks for every 5 bab though, you would need rapid strike or similar for that. The other option would be Unarmed Strike which is considered a natural attack and you do get iteratives with. You could also get multiweapon fighting and use your unarmed attacks for it.

Replacement for Ghost Step could be 2 levels of Invisible Fist monk. That gets you greater invisibility for a round with a 3 round cooldown.

Invisible Fist Monk 2. Take Monastic training and then Tashlatora with the class Psychic Warrior. Instead of Skirmish for extra damage you will use Claws of the beast with the feat Beast Strike to add your claw damage to your unarmed attack. About 11 levels of psychic warrior so Claws of the Beast at medium size does 3d6 dmg.
We are at ecl 15 at this point. Your medium sized unarmed dmg is 2d6. Your medium claw dmg is 3d6 and is added to your unarmed strikes. Your punches those do 2d6+3d6+str mod.
You have the Psychic Warrior Expansion as well and can go up 2 size categories with that gaining +4 str, -4 dex, -2 to hit, and -2 ac; you also gain reach to 15ft away from you and it doubles your weapon damage. You hit with an unarmed strike for 4d6+6d6+str mod per hit. Because you have sphinx claws you get a full attack with those when you charge. You also have other powers to make up for missing enhancement bonuses to hit.

Getting big really hurts hide checks so it might not be a good choice for your type of character you would be huge(-8 to hide) when expanded.

You can still get concealment on your rounds where greater invisibility isn't active from Concealing Amorpha which gives concealment allowing you to hide. You have the power Hustle to gain a move action for a swift action so you can move around and position yourself for charges.

If you decide against the two feats for Claws of the Spinx you could either take a level of Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian, or since you would have swift action movement the Multiweapon Fighting line.

Your other levels could either be in prestige classes or something like Warblade for Utility things like Mountain Hammer to ignore DR.

If you want to be more jumpy you can get leaping dragon stance on warblade and use sudden leap still. An ACF for 3rd level of Monk lets you replace Fast Movement with Standing Jump.

ECL 15, RHD2/Monk 2/Psy Warrior 11
BAB 11. Flurry of Blows as Monk 13.
Base flurry of 11/11/11/6.
If you have Multiweapon fighting and Improved Multiweapon Fighting you instead get.
9/9/9/9/4/4/4/4
Flurry of Blows stacks with Multiweapon fighting for monk weapons and unarmed strikes. After level 10 of monk flurry of blows carries no penalties compared to BAB just giving an extra 2 attacks at highest BAB. Giving you.
9/9/9/9/9/9/4/4/4/4
As your standard medium size with claws of the beast manifested(it lasts 11 hours per manifesting at this level) each hit does 2d6+3d6+str, so 5d6+str on 10 attacks. If it has exotic metal dr im not sure how to deal with it besides get big and hit it harder.