PDA

View Full Version : For the Combat Reflexes Fanatic...

pyrefiend
2007-01-29, 04:09 PM
These feats were spawned from my brain for two reasons. One, I think that Combat Reflexes warrants a feat chain of it's own. Two, I was hooked on Zelda the Windwaker at the time, and I can't help loving that defensive strike thing you can do. So cool. Anyway, this is the Combat Reflexes chain I made, along with some other melee feats.

Combat Reflexes Chain:

Opportunist (As the rogue ability)
You are capable of fast attacks in response to the slightest opening.
Prerequisites: Dex 14, Combat Reflexes
Benefit: Once per round, you may make an attack of opportunity against a foe who has been struck for damage by another character. Even with Combat Reflexes, you may not make multiple opportunist strikes in one round.

Improved Opportunist
You are capable of an astounding amount of attacks against foes who show a lack of defense.
Prerequisites: Dex 14, Combat Reflexes, Opportunist
Benefit: You may make opportunity strikes the same amount of times as you can use normal attacks of opportunity. Strictly speaking, opportunity strikes still count as attacks of opportunity, and so count as your total amount per round.

Incredible Opportunist
Prerequisites: Dex 16, Combat Reflexes, Opportunist, Great Opportunist, BaB +6
Benefit: You may make attacks of opportunity against foes who you threaten and who miss an attack against you in combat.

Masterful Opportunist
You are capable of almost inhuman displays of agility, striking opponents in a nearly impossible manner.
Prerequisites: Dex 20, Combat Reflexes, Opportunist, Great Opportunist, Incredible Opportunist, BaB +10, Jump 8 ranks, Tumble 8 ranks.
Benefit: Whenever you make attacks of opportunity against a foe you threaten, you may choose to move to any square adjacent to the opponent. If you do so, you’re opponent is denied their armor, shield, and natural armor bonuses to AC. They are considered flat-footed in regards to you’re attacks until the start of their next turn. Attacks of opportunity used through the Masterful Opportunist feat count as two attacks of opportunity for purposes of determining how many attacks of opportunity may be used in a round.

Other Melee Feats:

Leaping Strike
You are adept at attacking in midair after a jump.
Prerequisites: BaB +1, Jump 2 ranks.
Benefit: You may attack a foe in midair after a jump. If you have more than 2 attacks in a full attack, you can only use your two highest BaBs with this feat.

Mobile Whirlwind Strike
You may move while performing a Whirlwind Attack.
Prerequisites: Dex 15, Int 13, Combat Expertise, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, BaB +8
Benefit: You may move while performing a whirlwind strike. Any foes you would hit with a whirlwind strike on any of the squares you occupy during your move are hit. Attacking in such a way denies you the ability to charge and move for a round and leaves you flat-footed for 1 round as well.

Soaring Whirlwind Strike
You may make great leaps while spinning in a whirlwind strike.
Prerequisites: Dex 15, Int 13, Leaping Strike, Combat Expertise, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, BaB +4, Jump 6 ranks.
Benefit: You may jump while performing. Foes you would hit with a whirlwind strike on any of the squares you occupy during your move are hit. You may not charge in this way.
Special: If you wield a weapon that deals slashing damage, you receive a +6 bonus to the jump check you make in cooperation with Soaring Whirlwind Strike. Soaring Whirlwind Strike and Mobile Whirlwind strike may be used in coordination, allowing you the ability to hover a maximum of 10’ over the ground during your move.

Crushing Blow
You can make devastatingly powerful blows with weapons that deal bludgeoning damage.
Prerequisites: Str 16, Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Cleave, BaB +6
Benefit: You may deal a devastating blow with a two-handed bludgeoning weapon.
Doing so is always counted as a Power Attack, and also allows you the ability to trade double your BaB from to-hit, to damage. Crushing Blows cause your enemy to fall prone and be sent soaring 5 feet away from you per your strength bonus. If in this movement, your opponent hits a wall, they are dealt 1d12 non-lethal damage from the impact. Crushing Blows use your highest base attack bonus and deny you the ability to make any additional attacks per round. I.E. Crushing Blow, if used, is the only attack you can make in that round.
(I think there's some crazy magic ability that let's you do this)

Anyway, any and all input would be great.

Twisted.Fate
2007-01-30, 05:13 PM
Opportunist (As the rogue ability)
Prerequisites: Dex 14, Combat Reflexes
Benefit: Once per round, you may make an attack of opportunity against a foe who has been struck for damage by another character. Even with Combat Reflexes, you may not make multiple opportunist strikes in one round.

Making Opportunist a feat is horribly unfair to the rogue. They already lack a unique capstone ability (and therefore, a real reason to take them to 20th level); making one of their unique abilities a feat only makes the rogue a more disinteresting choice for higher-level play.

Why take a rogue to 10th level to get this when I can get Opportunist as a human fighter at...oh...1st level? (1st level, take Combat Reflexes as my character feat, then take Opportunist as my human bonus feat.) In fact, I could even rearrange that selection to get half of the chain at first level. (Take Combat Reflexes as my fighter feat, take Opportunist as my normal 1st-level feat, and take Improved Opportunist as my bonus human feat).

Now I'm a 1st-level fighter who can make Attacks of Opportunity better than a 10th-level rogue. That's a wee bit problematic, in my opinion.

Incredible Opportunist
Prerequisites: Dex 16, Combat Reflexes, Opportunist, Great Opportunist, BaB +6
Benefit: You may make attacks of opportunity against foes who you threaten and who miss an attack against you in combat.

There are existing feats similar this already...Karmic Strike from Complete Warrior or Robilar's Gambit from PHBII. Karmic Strike gives a penalty to AC, and you get an AoO if they hit you; Robilar's Gambit gives them bonuses to hit and damage, but all their attacks provoke AoOs. It just seems like overkill to make another feat that gives AoOs when attacked. Plus, as per my comments above, a level 6 fighter can take this and further AoO the crap out of a 10th-level rogue. Ouch.

pyrefiend
2007-01-30, 06:27 PM
This is a mis-made thread. The comments you have, have been (for the most part) stated by others on the commonly used duplicate of this thread. I suggsest you post ideas there.

Twisted.Fate
2007-01-30, 06:49 PM
Where? I can't seem to find the other thread. A link would be nice.

pyrefiend
2007-01-30, 08:29 PM
Curses! The other threads have been deleted, which would be good, except that now the on thread left standing is not the one I had edited before, and which had been critiqued... I'll have to copy the edits I made to this thread later...