PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed - Underwater Campaign

Sketchopotamus
2014-02-17, 02:21 PM
So I just had a thought, I have nothing prepared for anything, but my idea was....UNDERWATER CAMPAIGN! :D Sounds really cool, no idea HOW to dm it, or prep it for anything...

Any tips/ideas? lol

Red Fel
2014-02-17, 02:31 PM
Stormwrack. Read Stormwrack. Start there. It is the aquatic adventure campaign setting book.

Aquatic adventures are necessarily limited. Unlike an adventure in the Underdark, or mountains, or desert, or even Spelljammer (D&D iiiiiiin spaaaaaaace (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RecycledINSPACE)), an adventure underwater has certain key requirements.

First, the PCs need a sustainable way to breathe underwater. Either your players play aquatic races, or play they air-breathing races and you give them free sources of air (with the understanding that any external breathing source may be targeted, so no shenanigans, kids).

Certain classes that gain animal companions or mounts (e.g. Druids, Paladins, Rangers) may have to consider their alternate pet lists. Certain spells will not function properly, or may function dangerously well, in an all-water environment. Certain encounters will not happen underwater, barring access to caves with hidden air pockets. (So don't expect to run a typical Goblin warren.)

In short, a whole lot has to change from the usual in order for you to run an underwater campaign. Be aware that these same limitations, if you're not careful, may give your campaign a shorter-than-average lifespan. PCs who only breathe underwater aren't going to climb a mountain to fight a white dragon, for example, without some breathing apparatus.

Short version: Read Stormwrack. Throw out your encounter tables and replace them with aquatic enemies, or cave enemies if you use underwater caves with air. Establish clear prerequisites with your players as to available races, templates, and classes. Establish that certain spells, abilities, and animal companions are so not cool you guys, and probably off the table. Realize that most aquatic BBEGs are either squids, really monstrous squids, anthropomorphic baleen whales, or Cthulhu (as a squid). Die a little when one of your players wants to play Ursula the Sea Witch.

Enjoy. You poor, unfortunate soul.

Callin
2014-02-17, 03:14 PM
It can be fun but its also going to be limited as Red Fel mentioned. Sahaguin, Merfolk, Sea Elves, Sharks, Squid, Undead and the aquatic stuff that is overlooked is going to be your main staples.

Still can be a fun game, Mel Odom created a whole Trilogy just using Sahaguin as the antagonist and ruining the coasts of Faerun. Great series btw. So it can be done but everyone needs to be on board with it.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2014-02-17, 03:45 PM
Go read everything written by Aeolius. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=aeolius+D%26D

You might also find these useful, at the very least as a starting point: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#aquaticRaces

I generally recommend that you include lots of plot hooks, focus on oceanic environments (which are way more diverse than you think), and focus on keeping things NPC-driven or organization-driven. You don't want your players to sit around saying, "what do I do next?" because it's a lot more likely to happen in a foreign setting.

Remember that environments feed into trade. If one region has a lot of food, they'll trade that with their neighbors. If one region has access to obsidian which can be used to make tools, they'll trade that with their neighbors as well. The staple of adventuring is protecting trade caravans which suffer exactly one bandit attack during the trip.

Captnq
2014-02-17, 04:14 PM
My advice?

Don't.

Underwater campaigns are like plague plots, they sound fun to the DM, but usually, the players hate them.

If you want to push ahead check with your players first before you commit to this course of action. I've rarely heard of an underwater campaign lasting for any lenght of time.

Bigmchuge
2014-02-17, 06:43 PM
First off, good luck.

Since its water based what are your PC's capable of being, or likely to be?
Aquatic Elves, Half-aquatic elves, Wereshark lycanthropes, pirates, submersible pilots (ie gnomes). You could even allow them to be a defecting Sahuagin.

Races of Faerun has good info on the the Aquatic elves and a brewing war with the Sahuagin. I haven't read Stormwrack, but that's the only other aquatic book I can think of. The Submersible and other underwater goods can be found in Arms and Equipment.

Potential Scenario. Enterprising gnomes have made a home at the bottom of one of the oceans near a settled tribe of Aquatic Elves. A mining expedition unleashed... something. A meeting between the Elves and the gnomes to agree on an alliance to face an oncoming war with the Sahuagin. Storms have been brewing over the ocean making the area treacherous for ships. Now enters your characters.

I might also recommending starting them at a fairly high level since there is less aquatic baddies to throw at them. Again, good luck.

Selein
2014-02-17, 08:26 PM
I'd be interested in what you decide to do if u persue this campiagn idea OP. plz let the playgrround know what becomes of it! :smallbiggrin: