PDA

View Full Version : Townbuilding!

kirerellim
2014-02-17, 03:11 PM
I've got 300 followers. I want to build a town. Are there any sources that give times to build buildings and such?

person29
2014-02-17, 03:13 PM
I think the stronghold builders guidebook covers it

Callin
2014-02-17, 03:15 PM
Lyre of Building with Undead playing all day and night to build the whole town quickly.

kirerellim
2014-02-17, 03:15 PM
Oh. Oh my well that is interesting. I can't believe I've never seen that lol. Thank you, I'll look into it!

Edit: Oh man that Lyre lol I'll have to get one though I'll still need the stronghold book to see just how much work 100 people can do in 3 days.

person29
2014-02-17, 03:19 PM
glad to help hope it has the answers you seek

Cirrylius
2014-02-17, 03:20 PM
There's also the Ultimate Campaign book for Pathfinder. Very comprehensive for building and ruling large collections of structures. The relevent rules don't require any translation- at least, it looks like they don't.

kirerellim
2014-02-17, 03:31 PM
Hmm... that might be better. To build my town even with 300 people and a lyre, would take longer than I wish to spend lol

Zweisteine
2014-02-17, 03:34 PM
According to someone else on the forums, the stronghold builder's guidebook has too high prices. Stone Shape and a few lyres, and other spells, are far more wffective, though tht book lists them as nothing more than cost reductions.

kirerellim
2014-02-17, 03:42 PM
Price is not what I'm worried about lol I need to get a place set up as soon as possible to defend.

Callin
2014-02-17, 03:48 PM
Do it underground then. Mines and such can be done real real quick. Then you only really need a Huge Common Room, some side storage areas and 2 or 3 escape tunnels. Block the door from coming in. Maybe have a Small Tower with spears and trenches to funnel the attacking force.

Then while they are siegeing you, you can continue to build and maybe even dig them a deep deep pit under the army to sink hole em into despair.

kirerellim
2014-02-17, 04:12 PM
... I like the way you think.

Lord Vukodlak
2014-02-17, 06:17 PM
According to someone else on the forums, the stronghold builder's guidebook has too high prices. Stone Shape and a few lyres, and other spells, are far more wffective, though tht book lists them as nothing more than cost reductions.

It is possible however to reduce the cost to zero letting you built elaborate stone compounds for nothing.

Ravens_cry
2014-02-17, 08:06 PM
It is possible however to reduce the cost to zero letting you built elaborate stone compounds for nothing.
What is built of stone must first be built out of wood. Things like arches and domes, for example, need elaborate wooden supports until finished.

Lord Vukodlak
2014-02-17, 08:11 PM
What is built of stone must first be built out of wood. Things like arches and domes, for example, need elaborate wooden supports until finished.

Only if those arches and domes aren't instantly finished with a single casting. It takes high level casters using wall of stone to reduce the cost to 0.

Kudaku
2014-02-17, 08:19 PM
The pathfinder rules for building structures (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/downtime) as well as cities and kingdoms (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/kingdom-building) can be freely found on the PFSRD. That said, they intentionally designed them to not be sidestepped by magic (ie using Wall of Stone, Lyre of Building etc is covered by using Magic Capital and doesn't really provide any major advantages over building things the oldfashioned way), so if you want to really trick out the building process the rules set might not be the best fit.

Gavinfoxx
2014-02-17, 08:23 PM
You should read thiiis:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aG4P3dU6WP3pq8mW9l1qztFeNfqQHyI22oJe09i8KWw/edit

Ravens_cry
2014-02-17, 08:29 PM
Only if those arches and domes aren't instantly finished with a single casting. It takes high level casters using wall of stone to reduce the cost to 0.
Better take some ranks in Craft: Masonry. There is also a pretty sharp limit on how big you can make a single unit unless you amp your caster level skyhigh. Anything too big will have to be supported between castings.

Gavinfoxx
2014-02-17, 08:35 PM
Eh, max your int, cast magecraft before you start, and do lots of wall of stone and stone shape and such...

Coidzor
2014-02-18, 12:29 AM
Do it underground then. Mines and such can be done real real quick. Then you only really need a Huge Common Room, some side storage areas and 2 or 3 escape tunnels. Block the door from coming in. Maybe have a Small Tower with spears and trenches to funnel the attacking force.

Then while they are siegeing you, you can continue to build and maybe even dig them a deep deep pit under the army to sink hole em into despair.

Dwarf Fortress. The Town.

maniacalmojo
2014-02-18, 03:40 AM
have a few of them be warlocks. Unlimited shatter is pretty useful

kirerellim
2014-02-18, 05:25 AM
Well it's all worked out now! Thank you for the assistance!