PDA

View Full Version : Guessing Foreshadowing in #931?

Quartz
2014-02-17, 04:51 PM
Elan Sends to Julio 'a special hero can defy stories themselves'. I wonder if this is some foreshadowing? But of what?

Belkar defying the prophecy, perhaps? Elan being heroic? Elan reconciling with his father?

Keltest
2014-02-17, 04:52 PM
Just a guess, but... Julio not dying?

Werbaer
2014-02-17, 05:00 PM
Elan Sends to Julio 'a special hero can defy stories themselves'.
The story in question: The older mentor returns, only to be randomly killed by an enemy of the hero, so that he can cradle his dying body while swearing revenge" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0392.html)

Quartz
2014-02-17, 05:00 PM
That's the obvious one, of course, but I was thinking longer term.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-02-17, 05:10 PM
I don't think it has any significance beyond a reason to get Julio to come.

eggynack
2014-02-17, 08:30 PM
I don't think it has any significance beyond a reason to get Julio to come.
I think it's more significant than that, though probably not from a foreshadowing perspective. It's basically a summary of Elan and Tarquin's entire arc in this book, with Elan attempting to defy the narrative that Tarquin has set out for him. Meanwhile, it is Tarquin's insistence on never moving beyond his story, or the story that he believes is his, that proves to be his downfall. It's all thematically relevant and junk.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-02-17, 08:33 PM
I think it's more significant than that, though probably not from a foreshadowing perspective. It's basically a summary of Elan and Tarquin's entire arc in this book, with Elan attempting to defy the narrative that Tarquin has set out for him. Meanwhile, it is Tarquin's insistence on never moving beyond his story, or the story that he believes is his, that proves to be his downfall. It's all thematically relevant and junk.

Oh, I was just referring to its relevance to the plot. Although, I never saw it from that angle before. Thanks!

SlashDash
2014-02-18, 04:55 AM
I don't think it's about a foreshadowing as much as the Giant's way of telling people:

"Would you shut up all you annoying fans who keep telling me what to do and let me tell the story I want the way I want?"

That's the vibe I got when Elan gave his speech in 917. Julio's message says pretty much the same.