PDA

View Full Version : The Friar

evyldead
2014-02-17, 05:48 PM
Hello all. So as the title goes I would like to know on how to make and/or remake the Friar from Dark Ages of Camelot. The whole Heal on Hit deal, Heal whole party on hit all that fun stuff. I was wondering how to build this guy in D&D 3.5. Any ideas ?

Vhaidara
2014-02-17, 06:52 PM
Sounds like a Crusader from ToB. Throw in a Wrathful Healing weapon (sidebar in enemies and allies, gives effectively 50% lifesteal for a +3 bonus), and you have your hit-healer.

Red Fel
2014-02-17, 07:49 PM
Sounds like a Crusader from ToB. Throw in a Wrathful Healing weapon (sidebar in enemies and allies, gives effectively 50% lifesteal for a +3 bonus), and you have your hit-healer.

This. It's one of the reasons Crusader is such a great spot-healer - unlike almost any other healing class, the Crusader's heals make exceptional use of the action economy by triggering off of melee attacks. One of the biggest gripes about combat healing is that it's more effective to kill an enemy before it can deal damage than to try to heal through the damage. Crusader does both.

Just grab a Crusader, play it as-is right out of the box. Drop on any Devoted Spirit maneuvers that strike your fancy.

evyldead
2014-02-17, 08:14 PM
Anything out there that would help that is NOT ToB ?

Zetapup
2014-02-17, 09:14 PM
Going psychic warrior and nabbing vampiric blade or claws of the vampire would let you heal yourself when you hit, but crusader is the only class I can think of that lets you heal your party as well when you hit. There's also stuff like the vampiric weapon enhancement, but again, that only heals you when you hit.

Red Fel
2014-02-17, 09:16 PM
Going psychic warrior and nabbing vampiric blade or claws of the vampire would let you heal yourself when you hit, but crusader is the only class I can think of that lets you heal your party as well when you hit. There's also stuff like the vampiric weapon enhancement, but again, that only heals you when you hit.

And in that vein, (no pun intended) Duskblade with a Bloodstone weapon channeling Vampiric Touch is a pretty solid way to keep yourself healed while smacking things.

But really, ToB is the only way I can think of that heals other people while you're hitting something. There are ways to heal other people, and there are ways to heal yourself while hitting, but Devoted Spirit is about the only think I know that bridges the gap.

Urpriest
2014-02-17, 09:52 PM
Yeah, going to echo others that this sounds a lot like a ToB concept. If ToB isn't available for your game it's likely because your DM doesn't want you pursuing character concepts like this.

Abithrios
2014-02-17, 10:16 PM
I would like to add that playing a crusader is not that hard with maneuver cards to keep track of maneuvers granted. Also, if you get the feat Extra Granted Maneuver, the rest of the build matters relatively little. It is hard to make a terrible ToB character.

Feint's End
2014-02-17, 10:39 PM

Just as a sidenote. Vampiric Blade and/or Claws are terrible unless you optimize unarmed damage or natural weapon damage because you just heal for 50% of the base damage which is very low in most cases (like 3.5 average healing on a greatsword). If now you deal 32d8 unarmed damage as a base ...

Others have mentioned ... I repeat. Crusader is the most straight forward way to do it.

There are of course other ways but they probably won't work the way you want them to work (like a main fighter type). You could probably get healing runes on your weapon as a runecaster and with the right trigger conditions you could let them heal an ally every time you strike an enemy. But then again ... Runecasters are cheesy as hell and I don't think they are what you are looking for.

Zetapup
2014-02-18, 12:20 AM
Just as a sidenote. Vampiric Blade and/or Claws are terrible unless you optimize unarmed damage or natural weapon damage because you just heal for 50% of the base damage which is very low in most cases (like 3.5 average healing on a greatsword). If now you deal 32d8 unarmed damage as a base ...

Yeah claws of the vampire/vampiric blade need some optimization to be worthwhile. Size increases and stuff that increases your damage dice are necessary if you want to get decent mileage out of it. Most monk/unarmed combat handbooks should give you some good methods of increasing your base damage and you can decide if it's worth the investment or not.

Azoth
2014-02-18, 06:02 AM
You could go wilth the "A" Game Paladin. Not quite what you are looking for, but as close as you are going to get without access to Crusader.

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/3407376 <---- obligatory build link