PDA

View Full Version : Leadership!

PaucaTerrorem
2014-02-17, 09:34 PM
In one campaign we're playing my NE Battle Cleric has just taken Leadership. The goal in this one is to take over as much of the world as we can.

Now with this in mind: 1)Us being a relatively low op group(me being the most and not even that much), 2)It's Core only, 3)One of our main melee guys not understanding that our other buffers stay far from melee so if he wants a nice touch range buff he might want to hang back for a round and 4) Our party is big: Cleric 5/Ordained Champion (melee minded), Ranger 8(casts entangle and shoots things), Druid 8(caster focused), Rogue 8(skillmonkey), Barbarian 8(do I need to say?) Sorcerer 8(BFC, guy's busy so I made a "no homework" caster for him complete with Spells to take per level), Monk 5 were-leopard(natural) (biggest badarse we have), Fighter 6 were-wolf(afflicted) (have to smash him about the head to get him to go hybrid and use his trip).

It's a cohort choice I'm asking about really. DM was nice enough to let me build it. I like the idea of a Chain Fighter BFC who trips and bullrushes enemies into area spells(make that save again, son!) while my cleric wades in next to him facesmashing and buffing. A nice use of cohort that my DM and other players will appreciate. Or a bard who sings, buffs, and heals if needed. Bards are awesome but I'm not playing one as my main character. Other players will love the buffs and we could use a face(Sorcerer is spotty on availability). Or another cleric but caster focused. Because cleric.

So... opinions? And please no telling me to make him a Wiz with yadda yadda game breaking spells. Also all playable races are homebrewed Humans with their own ability modifiers and no special abilities. Core Only. No ACFs.

Molto Grazie

Edit: DM mostly okay with splat PrCs and most spells. Not so much with feats unless needed as prerequisite, in which case we modify what he doesn't like or sub a fitting feat.

Urpriest
2014-02-17, 09:50 PM
In one campaign we're playing my NE Battle Cleric has just taken Leadership. The goal in this one is to take over as much of the world as we can.

Now with this in mind: 1)Us being a relatively low op group(me being the most and not even that much), 2)It's Core only, 3)One of our main melee guys not understanding that our other buffers stay far from melee so if he wants a nice touch range buff he might want to hang back for a round and 4) Our party is big: Cleric 8(melee minded), Ranger 8(casts entangle and shoots things), Druid 8(caster focused), Rogue 8(skillmonkey), Barbarian 8(do I need to say?) Sorcerer 8(BFC, guy's busy so I made a "no homework" caster for him complete with Spells to take per level), Monk 5 were-leopard(natural) (biggest badarse we have), Fighter 6 were-wolf(afflicted) (have to smash him about the head to get him to go hybrid and use his trip).

It's a cohort choice I'm asking about really. DM was nice enough to let me build it. I like the idea of a Chain Fighter BFC who trips and bullrushes enemies into area spells(make that save again, son!) while my cleric wades in next to him facesmashing and buffing. A nice use of cohort that my DM and other players will appreciate. Or a bard who sings, buffs, and heals if needed. Bards are awesome but I'm not playing one as my main character. Other players will love the buffs and we could use a face(Sorcerer is spotty on availability). Or another cleric but caster focused. Because cleric.

So... opinions? And please no telling me to make him a Wiz with yadda yadda game breaking spells. Also all playable races are homebrewed Humans with their own ability modifiers and no special abilities. Core Only. No ACFs.

Molto Grazie

How? Did you get Wolf down to zero RHD somehow?

Anyway, you've got a large group, isn't that precisely the sort of situation where you shouldn't use leadership?

Calimehter
2014-02-17, 09:59 PM
Yeah, you guys have a big group and pretty much have your bases covered from the look of things.

You could always go Bard and have him sing in the background to make everyone better, and maybe make a skill check or two for whatever the party is lacking. Since it is the cleric's cohort, give him Perform (Gregorian Chant) for bonus flavor. :smallsmile:

PaucaTerrorem
2014-02-17, 10:19 PM
How? Did you get Wolf down to zero RHD somehow?

Anyway, you've got a large group, isn't that precisely the sort of situation where you shouldn't use leadership?

ECL on both Lycans is 11. Monk was turned into effectively a natural by a curse(cannot spread disease). Fighter carries disease. Both happened at Level 5. Doing a side campaign to give DM a break right now. Will be coming back to this one and DM told me that about 3-4 months will have passed and gave everyone else 3 levels. And Leadership was taken for the army building quality that will be needed. Shooting for a useful cohort without stepping on toes or being "too" good.

137beth
2014-02-17, 10:51 PM
1. If you took it for the army-building aspect, you could always have your cohort play a leadership role in your army "off-stage." That would allow you your desired aspect of the leadership feat, without adding to the craze of running combat for an already large group.
2. If you do decide to bring your cohort with you, I'd suggest a bard or other buffer. There is no limit on how many allies a bard song can affect, and they have some good mass-buff spells, so they can be especially helpful in a large group.

3. If you really want to play up the army-building aspect, you could try asking your DM if you could trade your cohort for more followers. There are no published rules for this AFAIK, but you could potentially do it so that you can get the followers without having to have a cohort slow down the game. You're completely into house-rule territory at this point, though.

I'd suggest option (1), personally.

khachaturian
2014-02-18, 12:38 AM
+1 on not bringing a cohort into such a large group

Vhaidara
2014-02-18, 12:48 AM
Grab a bard. Give him a natural horn (instrument) and the spell Inspirational Boost (Spell Compendium).

Together, the bard's Inspire Courage now gives +4 to hit and damage to all allies within 10 miles.