PDA

View Full Version : Elan, now with improved style and enthusiasm!

foobar1969
2014-02-17, 10:45 PM
Just wanted to call out this insightful comment from the discussion thread for #763 (Tarquin's "legend" speech):

I think what we're seeing from Elan is a realization that the genre savvy and bardic tropes he's always lived by and believed in can be twisted and corrupted.
( . . . )
I think we're going to see Elan start to grow away from his reliance on genre savvy and storytelling tropes and start to come up with his own ideas and approaches to dramatic situations. Basically, instead of invoking tropes, he's going to start subverting them, and will become a much more unpredictable and effective member of the team.

Fan67
2014-02-18, 08:13 AM
I think it is not going to happen, because if Tarquin is right about something he is definetly correct that their world works under laws of storytelling.
Tarquin is just wrong about WHAT story is being told.

nogall
2014-02-18, 08:18 AM
I think it is not going to happen, because if Tarquin is right about something he is definetly correct that their world works under laws of storytelling.
Tarquin is just wrong about WHAT story is being told.

It has already happened, exactly as was predicted by TheNovak (very insightful indeed). The thing is there is no such thing as a single law of storytelling; good storytellers subvert and challenge tropes and cliches - as Elan is doing in-story, as the Giant is doing with his story.