PDA

View Full Version : How to Get Normally Disallowed Effigys and Elder Eidolons?

unseenmage
2014-02-17, 11:47 PM
I'm looking for some means to get the Effigy (CAr) or Elder Eidolon (LoM) templates onto the disallowed creature types via template stacking.

Creature Types to make into Constructs somehow:
- Elemental
Corrupted (BoVD186), becomes Aberration (thanks Jeff the Green)
Half-dragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfDragon.htm), becomes Dragon (thanks Doc_Maynot)

- Fey
Half-dragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfDragon.htm), becomes Dragon (thanks Doc_Maynot)

- Ooze

- Outsider
(humanoid Outsider only) Dustform (Sa161) then Incarnate Construct (SS120), becomes Humanoid or Giant (thanks Jeff the Green)

- Plant
Spellwarped (MM3 p.162), becomes Aberration (thanks Thurbane)

- Undead

- Incorporeal

Any ideas Playground?

For making anything a Construct:
Aleax (BoED158), becomes Construct (thanks Doc_Maynot)
Likely not commandable, might try to kill whatever specific creature it's based on.

Thurbane
2014-02-18, 12:00 AM
For a Plant, slapping Spellwarped (MM3 p.162) on it first will change it to an Aberration.

Jeff the Green
2014-02-18, 03:38 AM
Anything corporeal other than an outsider can be made into an aberration with the corrupted template (BoVD). Humanoid-shaped outsiders could be dustformed and then incarnated to get a humanoid or giant.

Doc_Maynot
2014-02-18, 03:46 AM
Half-Dragon can be applied to any "living, corporeal creature," and changes the type to dragon.

Jeff the Green
2014-02-18, 04:05 AM
Half-Dragon can be applied to any "living, corporeal creature," and changes the type to dragon.

Okay, so we've got anything except a nonhumanoid-shaped incorporeal being and all incorporeal undead. How do we strip that subtype?

Doc_Maynot
2014-02-18, 04:16 AM
The raise ghost spell from Ghostwalk?

unseenmage
2014-02-18, 10:24 AM
Thank you all for your assistance.
You've definitely narrowed the field of disallowed Effigys.

Really just making anything into a Construct works too, though I originally thought that might be too broad an idea.

I remember seeing a list somewhere of all the type changing templates and what they changed into what but I can't for the life of me find it now.

A question, do these templates ignore the creature Type Pyramid on page 142 of Savage Species? IIRC Undead cannot become Aberrations.

Doc_Maynot
2014-02-18, 11:52 AM
Who would have thought Book of Exalted Deeds would be a solution?

Aleax Template, a creature that is a divine sent copy of a being sent to punish those straying from their alignment.

They appear to be able to be able to be applied to any creature and it changes the type to Construct, probably still incorporeal though....

unseenmage
2014-02-18, 12:01 PM
Who would have thought Book of Exalted Deeds would be a solution?

Aleax Template, a creature that is a divine sent copy of a being sent to punish those straying from their alignment.

They appear to be able to be able to be applied to any creature and it changes the type to Construct, probably still incorporeal though....

Oooh! That's cool.
I'm playing in two different games of 3.5 where I'm allowed to use the Pathfinder rules for building any Construct based on it's CR.
This means that those characters can potentially build any Creature in the game.

Now just because they can build it doesn't mean they can control it. There are several examples of Constructs who do not have traditional creators/controllers. Ragamoffyns, Inevitables, Clockwork Horrors, Awakened Sands, Warforged.
Sure they can be built, but to command them requires some finagling.

Greater Humanoid Essence + Diplomancy might work. As could the Rod of Construct Control from Arms and Equipment Guide. The Rod makes the Construct treat you as its creator, so it doesn't work on most uncommandable Constructs. But the Aleax is made by a Deity.

Would the Rod of Construct Control make the Aleax think you're a god!?

Doc_Maynot
2014-02-18, 12:06 PM
It would appear so. :smalltongue:

Phelix-Mu
2014-02-18, 12:11 PM
Aleax are designed to kill the original, though, and I think that is part of the hard programming. I'm not sure they are "commanded" in the normal manner of constructs, as they are typically more than capable of pursuing their imperative (normally, a deity has little reason to aleax a stupid creature).

But, if you DM is being permissive, then you can probably swing the rod as allowing you to control it. Not sure the creature would also think of you as a god, as I don't think the transitive property applies to this particular operation.