PDA

View Full Version : Help with prices for buying classes with xp

Srasy
2014-02-17, 11:57 PM
I am thinking about running a campaign soon where everyone starts with 3 level 1 commoners and 600xp
Every feat would be 200xp
1 level of commoner would be 200xp
1 level of truenamer 300xp
1 level a of tier 4 class or below or racial hit die400xp
1 level of a tier 3 class 600xp
1 level of a tier 2 class800xp
1 level of tier a 1 class 1000 xp
I'm thinking about giving everyone about 1000xp
After every session
Have 32 pb
And e6 la buy off rules (by reducing pb)

Do you think these values are fair?
What do you think I could/should change?
What are some potential problems I should be aware of/things I should ban outright?
Are there any rpg systems I could look at that are similar to this idea that I could look for inspiration or has someone written something like this before me and where could I find it?
What should I do about the death of someone's character because having someone level up a barbarian to get through early levels then have him die then make a wizard by just transferring the xp from the old character to the new one... Should there be xp loss if a character dies? If so how much?
If I make a cap on the level difference between all the players characters how much should it be? Is 3 a good number? Or should I live it as a free for all?

What I'm going for is a more tactics based high mortality game mode that seeks to slightly balance out some of the problems with regular dnd...

I just need help wih clarifying the rules because I'm kinda scared of 12 pixie warlocks sniping a big baddie then running out or bard stacking... Or a multitude of other things that might be troublesome...

Thanks for your help and the time it has taken you to read this giant block of text.

Falcon X
2014-02-18, 01:36 AM
I enjoy working with the tier system, but the major flaw in your idea is that you might have a Level 20 Truenamer side-by-side a Level 6 Wizard. Or a level 20 Fighter next to a Level 8 Wizard.
I could be wrong, but I think that Truenamer would obliterate the Wizard. The difference in power of the tiers is great, but that's only assuming they are at the same level.

With this, you should definitely give a level cap difference. Such as: nobody can be more than 3 levels higher. 4 Levels higher would be a 2 Spell Level difference for Casters, and I think that's where they would start to feel it.

Looking for a system that did this before? I think 2nd Edition D&D had different XP costs for different classes.

If you're looking at a high mortality game, you might want to homebrew rules that make character creation easier. You could just play AD&D. Or get out of D&D altogether and play something simple, like Hi/Low Heroes (http://dreamsanddragons.blogspot.com/p/hilo-heroes.html)

- If you have interest, I'm actually putting together my own homebrew system that is designed to do a similar thing. It uses D&D classes and ability advancement, but I reformatted skills and feats to be quick and dirty.