PDA

View Full Version : Healing Spells at range?

Yogibear41
2014-02-18, 12:24 AM
Isn't there a feat that allows clerics to cast healing spells that are normally touch such as cure light wounds at a range?

Rebel7284
2014-02-18, 12:39 AM
Well there is a reach spell metamagic. However, Close Wounds (http://dndtools.eu/spells/spell-compendium--86/close-wounds--3542/) already has close range, and you are better off killing your opponents than trying to heal up in combat.

Yogibear41
2014-02-18, 12:51 AM
Yes, I know but we stopped the game for the night and I am sitting at 6 hit points surrounded by 4 worgs and a few goblins :smallsmile:

Our cleric just hit level 3 and is new so she didn't pick her feat yet, I was thinking there was one that let you use turning attempts to cast a healing spell at range, close wounds is my back up plan. I was doing fairly well against the 5 of them(killed one) thanks to my AC but took a couple of nasty hits when I got tripped and had to get up.

Rebel7284
2014-02-18, 12:59 AM
Yes, I know but we stopped the game for the night and I am sitting at 6 hit points surrounded by 4 worgs and a few goblins :smallsmile:

Our cleric just hit level 3 and is new so she didn't pick her feat yet, I was thinking there was one that let you use turning attempts to cast a healing spell at range, close wounds is my back up plan. I was doing fairly well against the 5 of them(killed one) thanks to my AC but took a couple of nasty hits when I got tripped and had to get up.

Are you leveling up and gaining a feat mid-combat? o.O

The Grue
2014-02-18, 02:18 AM
There's also Spectral Hand (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spectralHand.htm) if you have a means of casting off the Sorcerer/Wizard list. Like say if you have the Magic domain and got a wand of it.

lsfreak
2014-02-18, 02:47 AM
Just to confirm, yes, there exists something that specifically takes Cure spells (or maybe Conj [Healing] spells) and makes them Close-range. I just can't for the life of me find where it's at (or even what it is, I was kind of thinking it was a persistable spell rather than a feat).

shylocke
2014-02-18, 02:52 AM
Get a bow of healing and shoot nonlethal arrows.

tyckspoon
2014-02-18, 02:57 AM
The Divine Ward feat will do it (PHB2), but it's annoyingly restrictive in how it works.

OldTrees1
2014-02-18, 02:58 AM
Isn't there a feat that allows clerics to cast healing spells that are normally touch such as cure light wounds at a range?

How frequently will you need it?
Is Cleric level times/day enough?

Improved Domain Power (Healing Domain) [Feat]

Best of all there are a variety of ways to get the feat. You don't need to use a feat slot.

TypoNinja
2014-02-18, 02:58 AM
There's also Spectral Hand (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spectralHand.htm) if you have a means of casting off the Sorcerer/Wizard list. Like say if you have the Magic domain and got a wand of it.

I think I'd rather pick up an eyeball beholderkin as a familiar, then use its eyerays to deliver touch spells at range for me.

shylocke
2014-02-18, 03:05 AM
Take levels.of.warlock.until.you can detach your hand

Jeff the Green
2014-02-18, 03:05 AM
Just to confirm, yes, there exists something that specifically takes Cure spells (or maybe Conj [Healing] spells) and makes them Close-range. I just can't for the life of me find where it's at (or even what it is, I was kind of thinking it was a persistable spell rather than a feat).

Unicorn horns (CC) will do it, though they're something like 100 GP a pop. My clerics/archivists always keep one or two on hand to use with revivify.

TypoNinja
2014-02-18, 04:16 AM
Unicorn horns (CC) will do it, though they're something like 100 GP a pop. My clerics/archivists always keep one or two on hand to use with revivify.

Brilliant. Must remember that trick.

Yogibear41
2014-02-18, 06:45 AM
Are you leveling up and gaining a feat mid-combat? o.O

No she actually leveled up last game, but didn't take the time to update her sheet except for adding new hit points, base attack bonus, and her extra spell lots.

Drachasor
2014-02-18, 06:59 AM
Simulacrum a Cleric with Still and Silent Spell and Divine Metamagic (extra turning is good too).

Polymorph Any Object them into an intestinal worm.

Depending on whether the DM decides "related" applies to parasites, you might need to have them let themselves out once a week.

nedz
2014-02-18, 07:00 AM
Well there's the Blood of the Martyr spell (Book of Exalted Deeds), but it's Cleric 4.

There are also the mass versions of curing spells, but they start at 5th.

Spectral Hand is level 2, but you need to have already cast it.

There's a Bardic music which gives you a few temp HP at range.

What you're looking for though is the Reach Spell feat (Complete Divine, p84) though unless she's playing a Spontaneous Cleric spells she will have needed to have prepared the spell with that metamagic applied. Also it is a +2 metamagic, so the best she could do at level 3 is Cure Minor.

SiuiS
2014-02-18, 07:03 AM
There's a feat which turns turning Undead attempts into healing up to 1/2 maximum HP. Healing Devotion? Try that one.

Killer Angel
2014-02-18, 07:03 AM

At that point, with some UMD, summon directly a unicorn and do something else while it cures for you. :smallbiggrin:

Thurbane
2014-02-18, 07:25 AM
There's also the Divine Ward feat (PHB2 p.88) that allows you to create a link with one ally and cast range touch spells on him at short range instead (25 ft + 5 ft/2 caster levels). You can create a link to multiple creatures, using one turning attempt for each.

Ninja'd by several hours. I missed tyckspoon's post altogether :smalltongue:

JDL
2014-02-18, 07:32 AM
You're thinking of the Sacred Purification feat from PHBII. Swift action, 60 ft. radius 1d8+cha heal. Note it doesn't distinguish between friend or foe. It also requires the Sacred Healing feat to access, so your friend can't take it in time to save your character.

Oko and Qailee
2014-02-18, 08:23 AM

Dragon Magazine has an Improve Healing Domain that turns all healing spells into close range

Requires either you to choose Healing domain for both your domain slots or the Bestow Power Feat

OldTrees1
2014-02-18, 09:05 AM
Dragon Magazine has an Improve Healing Domain that turns all healing spells into close range

Requires either you to choose Healing domain for both your domain slots or the Bestow Power Feat

Or lose Turn Undead or buy an item. (Also it is limited to Class level times/day or something)

Telonius
2014-02-18, 09:36 AM

Were you thinking of the Divine Reach ability from Hierophant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/hierophant.htm)?

Divine Reach (Su)
A hierophant with this ability can use touch spells on targets up to 30 feet away. If the spell requires a melee touch attack, the hierophant must make a ranged touch attack instead. Divine reach can be selected a second time as a special ability, in which case the range increases to 60 feet.

nedz
2014-02-18, 09:43 AM
There's a feat which turns turning Undead attempts into healing up to 1/2 maximum HP. Healing Devotion? Try that one.

It's not Healing Devotion.

Healing Devotion is excellent. It gives scaling fast healing (1-5) for 10 rounds. Triggers on yourself automatically if you go negative, can be used on others as a full round action, range touch.

Healing Devotion wouldn't help here.

Another option that would work is mass lesser vigour (or similar) unfortunately this is a 3rd+ level spell.

SiuiS
2014-02-18, 09:50 AM
It's not Healing Devotion.

Healing Devotion is excellent. It gives scaling fast healing (1-5) for 10 rounds. Triggers on yourself automatically if you go negative, can be used on others as a full round action, range touch.

Healing Devotion wouldn't help here.

Another option that would work is mass lesser vigour (or similar) unfortunately this is a 3rd+ level spell.

Hmm. I could have sworn that wasn't touch. I am mixing it with something else though.

Magesmiley
2014-02-18, 01:02 PM
You might be thinking of Reach Spell + Divine Metamagic (Reach Spell). Two feats that when combined would let you pay down the metamagic level cost on the spot using turn attempts to make a touch spell into a ranged touch.

Maginomicon
2014-02-18, 01:17 PM

Could you give a source for this please? I've searched the DragonDex and turned up nothing.

Rebel7284
2014-02-18, 02:14 PM
Can we perhaps think of a better way to solve the encounter at range besides healing? Is the cleric character open to that? Perhaps teleportation effects or effects to greatly boost someone's armor class or a way to blind all the enemies (blinded characters can't make AOOs as I recall..) or... something else?

OldTrees1
2014-02-18, 03:48 PM
Could you give a source for this please? I've searched the DragonDex and turned up nothing.

Dragon 342 pg 22

1 per PHB domain.
Magic is also interesting

lsfreak
2014-02-18, 04:03 PM
For the record, Divine Ward from PHB2 is what I was thinking of (forgot PHB2 has feats spread in different sections :smallredface:). Apparently remembered that it was fed with TU, just not that it's not through DMM:Persist. Since you can't use it to qualify for Chain Spell it's really rather lackluster, and unless you retcon in that she had the feat before, it won't help in this situation anyways.

Oko and Qailee
2014-02-18, 04:27 PM
Or lose Turn Undead or buy an item. (Also it is limited to Class level times/day or something)

Yeah, but like you're ever going to trade away turn undead

OldTrees1
2014-02-18, 05:08 PM
Yeah, but like you're ever going to trade away turn undead

True enough.

nedz
2014-02-18, 06:25 PM

Improved Power (DR342 p21)

Yogibear41
2014-02-18, 07:42 PM
and unless you retcon in that she had the feat before, it won't help in this situation anyways.

That is exactly what I am hoping our DM will let us do.

Yogibear41
2014-02-18, 07:49 PM
Can we perhaps think of a better way to solve the encounter at range besides healing? Is the cleric character open to that? Perhaps teleportation effects or effects to greatly boost someone's armor class or a way to blind all the enemies (blinded characters can't make AOOs as I recall..) or... something else?

Considering all we have is an npc elf ranger who is probably around level 2-3 shooting with a shortbow for 1d6 damage a round, and a level 3 cleric shooting her lightcrossbow for 1d8 around, (they both have elevation so they are not getting attacked) and I am an incarnate2/fighter 1 who has only survived so far due to having an AC of 23 and a DR 2/- against things with only +7 to hit (+9 when they flank) and we still have 4 worgs to go through, and 2 goblins that are not level 1(one got shot for 5 points and didn't die, I am guessing level 2) and I am sitting at 6hp with all the bad guys getting initiative before I go again, there is a good chance If I don't get healed this round I will die lol.

lsfreak
2014-02-18, 09:01 PM
That is exactly what I am hoping our DM will let us do.

Well, I specifically mentioned it because unlike other feats, spells, etc, it requires 10 minutes prep time to set up, and setting up with more than one person requires burning TU attempts. So rather than just assuming she had the feat all along, you've got to assume she spent the time to set up the link between the two of you at the beginning of the day (though with you tanking, and being low level, it's not too far-fetched to assume she only set up one link, and it would be with the tank).

holywhippet
2014-02-18, 11:56 PM
One other way, which doesn't seem like it will be applicable in this case, is to have a familiar which can deliver touch spells. It would require multiclassing or some other shenanigans though.