PDA

View Full Version : PF- Aquatic dungeon crawl character

Mr.MeowMeowmers
2014-02-18, 06:44 AM
Hey hey hey fellow awesome people!

So I was invited to this dungeon crawl one-shot session which is going to be underwater!

So this is what we are allowed to use :

Core Rulebook, Advanced Player's
Guide, Advanced Races Guide, Ultimate Combat, Ultimate Magic,
Ultimate Equipment.

I need help building a character for this!
And since it is just a dungeon crawl, I'd love something ridiculous but awesome!
So this time I'm really up for min-maxing, cheesing, call it whatever you like but I want the other guys at the table to smell the power thats coming from my character sheet :P

Seriously, I'd love to have a strong character for this session but this whole aquatic thing... Not too many ideas. So I thought you guys might have some Ideas to build a character that can be just plain awesome! :D

What I DO know is i want to either play a lizardfolk or a grippli, which both have been homebrewed into beeing able to breather water and air.
And we start at level 8 with average gold for that level and a 20-points-buy.

Any help?Ideas?

Thanks already!

Sayt
2014-02-18, 06:58 AM
Well, wizards are strong, but under water, and spellbooks, I don't know how that would be handled.

But what I'd do? Merfolk Oracle of waves with the lame curse. You have 50 foot swim, 0 foot land speed, which doesn't matter because you can cast sky swim.

From oracle, you can go into support caster, melee beatstick, or summoner.

Firest Kathon
2014-02-18, 10:04 AM
For the witch, there's the Water Lung (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch/hexes/common-hexes/hex-water-lung-su) hex which allows an air-breathing cretaure to breathe unter water for 1 minute. You won't need it if you play a race that can breathe under water anyways, but it might save your comrades if their chosen method of underwater breathing fails. Also, it's (su), so no dispelling.

NightbringerGGZ
2014-02-18, 11:37 AM
So you specifically want to use either a Grippli or a Lizardfolk character. Would your GM also give Grippli a Swim Speed?

How about a Grippli Aquatic Druid? The druid class if powerful and versatile on its own. The Aquatic archetype gives you a swim speed and resistances to water based spells and SLAs. Pick up an aquatic animal companion, do some shape shifting and have fun with spells.

Mr.MeowMeowmers
2014-02-18, 02:52 PM
Yeah the Grippli- and the Lilzardfolk- can both breathe underwater- and have a swim speed of 30!

I like the oracle and the Druid idea but how do i make them powerful- enough?

NightbringerGGZ
2014-02-18, 03:39 PM
Go to the Paizo Guide to the Class Guides (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2m612?Guide-to-the-Class-Guides) thread and read up!

They tend to focus on optimization. Any class with full spell casting is going to be nice, just understand that with your race selection you aren't going to be fully optimized. You can do a lot with a Grippli foundation.

Another good option might be a Summoner. I played a Grippli Summoner and the character was a beast, even when I tried for a non-optimized build.

Slipperychicken
2014-02-18, 05:13 PM
Well, wizards are strong, but under water, and spellbooks, I don't know how that would be handled.

You could take a variant spellbook material (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/variant-rules-3rd-party/bastion-press/spellbooks-scrolls-variant-rules).