PDA

View Full Version : Need help with cursed items.

Nibbens
2014-02-18, 07:58 AM
I'm running a pathfinder game for a high level party (lvl15) and i'd like to include a few cursed items along the way. However, i'd rather stay away from book-based items as my players have read the books front and back and are pretty familiar with how to deal with most cursed objects. Does anyone have any unique or homebrew cursed items that could cause some havoc with high level players?

JHShadon
2014-02-18, 08:26 AM
Here's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209922) a thread from a few years back that could help.

Nibbens
2014-02-18, 10:07 AM
This is awesome! Thanks!

shylocke
2014-02-18, 03:54 PM
Not really a cursed item, but is as dangerous as one. The jacinth of inestimable beauty. As long as the subject holds it people have to make saves or be affected by nymphs blinding and deathly beauty ability. Or a deck of many things with all then good cards used up. One time our rogue find a large diamond that stuck to his hand and emitted light.

Magesmiley
2014-02-18, 05:14 PM
I've always found that the most interesting cursed items are really just regular items that have drawbacks. For example an item that creates a powerful effect but which also stuns its user for a period of time. You'll find that it lessens the value of the item to the PCs, but they'll hang onto the items for that off chance that it is worth paying the cost.

One that might be fun is an item that creates a polymoprh any object effect, but it transforms the wielder as well as the target into the desired shape. If you really want to play mean, make it no save for the wielder, and the target gets a save. To be doubly mean, just have the target fail the save the first time this is used so that the PCs think that they can use it to trade one PC for an enemy (and probably leading to a much more disastrous usage).

A set of bracers of armor that have an arcane spell failure chance.

A suit of enchanted plate mail that when you enter combat teleports onto the nearest unarmored creature, where it remains until the end of combat. If you play your cards right, this could be the party's wizard/sorcerer. (Can you say arcane spell failure? I knew you could). This could also be ugly if resized and the opponent was a dragon (an extra 10+ points of AC...).

Boots of striding and springing that produce a grease spell effect when the user is about to leave the ground to jump or moving enough to use the extra speed.

shylocke
2014-02-18, 06:10 PM
Not really a cursed item, but is as dangerous as one. The jacinth of inestimable beauty. As long as the subject holds it people have to make saves or be affected by nymphs blinding and deathly beauty ability. Or a deck of many things with all then good cards used up. One time our rogue find a large diamond that stuck to his hand and emitted light.

Jacinth also give big bonus to charisma. I've always wanted to alter the bag of devouring into a suit of full plate. But I think it would be to powerful. Probably wouldn't get a save to dodge DMG and you are already In the item so would it be a check to take the suit off?