PDA

View Full Version : Guessing Strong female leads to come?

DeliaP
2014-02-18, 09:03 AM
In The Giant's recent Twitter Q&A extravaganza (Thanks Giant!) we heard this:

petitamus ‏@petitamus
@RichBurlew any chance of another strong lead female character joining the group in the next arch?

Depends on meaning of 'lead'. If you mean equal to Core 6, no, otherwise, yes. One is already here. (https://twitter.com/RichBurlew/status/435655752724647938)

Let the speculation begin!

I've quoted over Oppyu's excellent suggestions from the Index of Giant's comments:

Current guesses include Bandana, Sabine, Amun-Zora and Lien as well. Bandana is physically with the party but hasn't been around long enough to get a name, Sabine has the most name recognition out of the four but isn't confirmed to be remaining with the main plot, Amun-Zora just got a nice character role upgrade as head of the Resistance against the Vector Legion but has no reason to continue with the main plot, and Lien is confirmed to be heading towards the last gate and could be a lead, although her current role is 'the somewhat snarky paladin who isn't in charge or O-Chul'.

Good spot on Amun-Zora, hadn't thought about that.

Isn't Bandana's name actually "Bandana" (Panel 2) (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0933.html)?

I'd add Niu. I seriously think we'll see her again, and as the last survivor of the Azure City Resistance, she's carrying a hefty narrative load....

Trillium
2014-02-18, 09:18 AM
Redcloak's niece!

EDIT: Also that evil warlordess than Xykon served with in SoD. She could be badass.

EDIT2: Or MitD may prove to be a female.

Gift Jeraff
2014-02-18, 09:26 AM
The asker said "joining the group" and Rich said one is "already here," so that makes me lean towards Bandana, the crewmember with the blue bandana, and Lien (already sorta-joined the group and we know the OOTS plans on meeting up with her).

commander panda
2014-02-18, 09:29 AM
i'm hoping for redcloaks niece as well, but she's not already here. so thats a problem.
niu or bandanna would also be awesome, and i think sabine is probably most likely.

Sunken Valley
2014-02-18, 09:29 AM
Sabine will switch sides.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-02-18, 09:36 AM
I think it would be interesting if Laurin became a protagonist.

Trillium
2014-02-18, 09:41 AM
I think it would be interesting if Laurin became a protagonist.

She already got her rear delivered to her. By a single member of the Order. Now that Order is familiar with her, she would fall even faster.

oppyu
2014-02-18, 09:44 AM
She already got her rear delivered to her. By a single member of the Order. Now that Order is familiar with her, she would fall even faster.
That was after a long day of Wormhole-spamming and various other spells/psiony stuff/whatever. Put her up against V with a full point allotment and that may have ended... differently.

Grey_Wolf_c
2014-02-18, 09:44 AM
Redcloak's niece!

That would be sweet.

Or MitD may prove to be a female.

But then she would have to resign from the not-eating-babies club!

Grey Wolf

Trillium
2014-02-18, 09:46 AM
That was after a long day of Wormhole-spamming and various other spells/psiony stuff/whatever. Put her up against V with a full point allotment and that may have ended... differently.

Full power of V and Durkula would allow them to at least counter every single spell she'd cast. Sorry, manifest.
All the while Roy bashing her with spell-disrupting attacks.
All the while Haley barrages her with arrows.
The Order being protected by Mind Blank.

She ain't an epic lich sorcerer, she can't take THAT sort of beating.

Hyena
2014-02-18, 09:48 AM
Isn't he talking about Haley here?

oppyu
2014-02-18, 09:53 AM
Full power of V and Durkula would allow them to at least counter every single spell she'd cast. Sorry, manifest.
All the while Roy bashing her with spell-disrupting attacks.
All the while Haley barrages her with arrows.
The Order being protected by Mind Blank.

She ain't an epic lich sorcerer, she can't take THAT sort of beating.
True, if the Order knew she was coming then she'd be best served teleporting out as quickly as possible.

Isn't he talking about Haley here?
Haley's already a part of the Core 6, therefore she can't be the new female leads who aren't as important as the Core 6.

-----

Regarding the new female leads, it's not too late for new characters either. Serini's descendants, or a secret faction of Gate Protectors (although the existence of such a faction would lead to questions like 'where were they when the previous four gates went down', or just a random sidequest they meet who happens to join for the ride.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-02-18, 10:01 AM
But, if she becomes a protagonist, she doesn't have to fight the Order any more. Technically, she doesn't even have to join them; she could be on another team like the Azurites were.

Tridax
2014-02-18, 10:22 AM
I am surprised no one mentioned Hylga yet. They are going to the dwarven lands, so she may make a return.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-02-18, 10:28 AM
I am surprised no one mentioned Hylga yet. They are going to the dwarven lands, so she may make a return.

The thing is, Hilgya specifically left the Dwarven Lands because she couldn't stand their way of living. Why would she return?

DeliaP
2014-02-18, 10:34 AM
Kazumi might come off maternity leave to join the final showdown.

Also, one thing I'm pretty sure we're going to meet in the next book: more dwarves! Lots more dwarf characters. And many of them will be female.

And more elves, for that matter.

Grey Watcher
2014-02-18, 10:46 AM

... What?

Either you're attempting to make a joke about the fact that pregnancy is sometimes described by small children as "mommy has a baby in her tummy" or you have a very strange idea about how reproduction works. I sincerely hope it's the former.

The thing is, Hilgya specifically left the Dwarven Lands because she couldn't stand their way of living. Why would she return?

Hilgya was my first thought as well, but Jaxzan is right, her appearance probably requires the biggest narrative twist to justify. Not that Burlew couldn't do it, he's managed to make more surprising twists come off really well, but as of her last appearance, the only circumstance I can imagine involves her family tracking her down and capturing her.

ZMiles
2014-02-18, 10:50 AM
I'm guessing Serini. We don't know that she ever died (magic could have helped her stay alive longer than normal hobits), and even if she did die, as Rich said in that same interview, death doesn't necessarily mean 'out of the story.'

hamishspence
2014-02-18, 10:53 AM
Durkon told her it was her duty:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0084.html

Now - while she may have rejected his argument - it would be interesting if she hadn't, and if it was the first step in her moving away from Evil.

or, in the opposite vein, if she became consumed with desire for revenge on him - by hurting his people.

Kish
2014-02-18, 11:00 AM
... What?

Either you're attempting to make a joke about the fact that pregnancy is sometimes described by small children as "mommy has a baby in her tummy" or you have a very strange idea about how reproduction works. I sincerely hope it's the former.
Take Option 3, and reread where the creature in the darkness is explaining why Tsukiko can't join the club (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0549.html).

ChristianSt
2014-02-18, 11:03 AM
Or MitD may prove to be a female.

... What?

Actually, neither (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0549.html) :smallwink:

Damn all those ninjas! :smallsigh:

DeliaP
2014-02-18, 11:09 AM

Now - while she may have rejected his argument - it would be interesting if she hadn't, and if it was the first step in her moving away from Evil.

I dunno, I'd take that as becoming more Lawful.

In fact, Durkon's speech, to me, should be the Law T-Shirt:
"LAW. It's about doin' yer duty, even if it makes ye miserable. ESPECIALLY if it makes ye miserable"

Jay R
2014-02-18, 11:32 AM

"After"? In #926, Vaarsuvius recommends that they keep running, and this forces several more wormholes. Then in #935, we learn that Vaarsuvius knew that Laurin tended to pull out the big guns early.

It follows that forcing Laurin to use the wormholes were part of Vaarsuvius's plan.

Whether you believe that or not, Laurin had a full point allotment when the fight with the order started.

SavageWombat
2014-02-18, 11:49 AM
Can someone create a transcript of this twitter-thon?

DeliaP
2014-02-18, 11:53 AM
The OotS relevant posts have been included in the Index of the Giants Comments:

(Awesome job, oppyu! Thanks!)

(Edit: Hey, I managed to ninja Rakoa! :smallbiggrin:)

Rakoa
2014-02-18, 11:53 AM

Oppyu already did. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17020309&postcount=965) At least, the bits that were relevant to the Order of the Stick.

Edit: And lo was I Ninja'd.

Grey Watcher
2014-02-18, 11:59 AM
Take Option 3, and reread where the creature in the darkness is explaining why Tsukiko can't join the club (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0549.html).

Actually, neither (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0549.html) :smallwink:

Damn all those ninjas! :smallsigh:

:headdesk-of-shame:

Yeah, that makes considerably more sense. :smallredface:

Lombard
2014-02-18, 12:53 PM
My misinterpretation of the thread title reminds me that I have something seriously wrong with my brain lol.

Anyways my bet is on Laurin, she is turning out to be rather well balanced and likable beyond her obvious power. (Well balanced in terms of personality heh... her class is ridic OP)

Everyl
2014-02-18, 01:09 PM
Anyways my bet is on Laurin, she is turning out to be rather well balanced and likable beyond her obvious power. (Well balanced in terms of personality heh... her class is ridic OP)

Out of curiosity, what makes you say that Laurin is overpowered? If she'd been a sorcerer accomplishing all the same feats that she did as a psion, the readership would have been asking why she was holding back, as she would have still had nearly all of her level 6+ spell slots left when she retreated.

hamishspence
2014-02-18, 01:53 PM
Maybe Blackwing is female, and, while not "equal to the core 6" is already here, in the sense of playing a much bigger role than in the past.

Lombard
2014-02-18, 01:57 PM
Out of curiosity, what makes you say that Laurin is overpowered? If she'd been a sorcerer accomplishing all the same feats that she did as a psion, the readership would have been asking why she was holding back, as she would have still had nearly all of her level 6+ spell slots left when she retreated.

Well I am rather hesitant to rehash old debates about class tiers and houseruled powers etc.; I readily admit my assessment to be an opinion rather than a fact. ;) As I recall there were a fair number of people on each side of the discussion so it's not like I think you're talking crazy talk if you disagree.

Grey_Wolf_c
2014-02-18, 02:18 PM
Maybe Blackwing is female, and, while not "equal to the core 6" is already here, in the sense of playing a much bigger role than in the past.

I believe it has been stated that Blackwing is male?

Quickly, someone ask Rich if Blackwing can join MitD's club!

GW

Ron Miel
2014-02-18, 02:22 PM
petitamus ‏@petitamus
@RichBurlew any chance of another strong lead female character joining the group in the next arch?

Depends on meaning of 'lead'. If you mean equal to Core 6, no, otherwise, yes. One is already here. (https://twitter.com/RichBurlew/status/435655752724647938)

Let the speculation begin!

I'm guessing Ivy. He was reluctant to talk about Ivy here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12299486&postcount=18), which hints that she will be an important character in a coming arc.

hamishspence
2014-02-18, 02:27 PM
I believe it has been stated that Blackwing is male?

Certainly V calls Blackwing "him" and "he"

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0154.html

Porthos
2014-02-18, 02:31 PM
Certainly V calls Blackwing "him" and "he"

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0154.html

Haley does as well. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0178.html)

AFAIR, no one has ever talked about Blackwing in anything other than the masculine gender.

Groundhoggoth
2014-02-18, 02:46 PM

I love the idea of Hilgya coming back and have been thinking that, given the time that has passed since her liaison with Durkon, one good reason for her return would be to serve Durkon with a paternity suit.

Porthos
2014-02-18, 02:54 PM
I love the idea of Hilgya coming back and have been thinking that, given the time that has passed since her liaison with Durkon, one good reason for her return would be to serve Durkon with a paternity suit.

The more I think about this and the more I reflect on Rich's recent comments about sexualizing female characters, the less likely I think this is to happen. It has the potential to reduce Hilgya to a simple stereotype.

What I could see is a joke made about it though, in a mocking manner.

Mind it could happen, especially if most of the plot is locked in stone (though he has already said he changes/reshuffles things as needed). If it does, I'm sure he could pull it off.

On the other hand, having the only reason for Hilgya to show up being to cause grief because of what happened on a One Night Stand? Dunno. Gut currently doesn't think that is likely to happen. On the other other hand, my gut has been wrong many times before. :smalltongue:

Sir_Dr_D
2014-02-18, 02:55 PM
Why does a person need to be in the protagonist category to be considered a lead. Can't lead just refer to common reoccurring critical characters, such as Redcloack and Xykon. I would place Laurin in that category now.

Gnoman
2014-02-18, 05:33 PM
The question specifically referred to a character "joining the group." I assume this is why people are assuming "protagonist."

Dwy
2014-02-18, 06:04 PM
If Hylgia was to return, I bet her role, narratively speaking, would be to shed some light on how Durkon has changed, either to the readers or to the order. In her short time with him, she got to see the essence of Durkon, and she has some insight in Evil and Dwarfery too.

Lien would be my bet though.

Sir_Dr_D
2014-02-18, 06:05 PM
I didn't notice that part. But we do need to keep in mind that this twitter. Rich could have misread or miswrote the response.

But if joing the group is what is meant, it can't be Laurin, just because she is too powerfull. Which would leave
Bandana
Sabine
Lien
Niu

Amun zora could have an increased role, but likely to have goals that are too different from the OOTS. I don't see Ivy having a role,as she is not developed much as a character. The comment Rich made earlier about Ivy, could have been related to what was recently revealved. Ivy was involved in keeping Ian in prison, and thus at the time, he couldn't reveal much about her. Hilgya is too uninteresting to be any more then part of Durkon's character growth. Serini or redcloaks niece haven't really been introduced yet, so I don't think they count.

Mighty
2014-02-18, 06:13 PM
Could also be Celia or Julia.

Sir_Dr_D
2014-02-18, 06:27 PM
Right Celia is possible.

But I doubt Julia do to her being a low level non-adventuring, non-heroic wizard. Her main role is for side quests or part of Roy's character development.

Metahuman1
2014-02-18, 06:31 PM

or, in the opposite vein, if she became consumed with desire for revenge on him - by hurting his people.

What if as a high level cleric she went back and conquered them so that she could re-write what her and his duty's were?

Now THAT would be a twist.

Everyl
2014-02-18, 07:17 PM
What if as a high level cleric she went back and conquered them so that she could re-write what her and his duty's were?

Now THAT would be a twist.

So Durkon would fulfill the "death and destruction" prophecy by provoking a cleric of Loki to commit the death and destruction on the Dwarven Lands? That's... well, less crazy than a lot of other Durkon-prophecy-fulfillment theories I've seen on these boards, at least.

terryhe
2014-02-18, 08:28 PM
It's Laurin. She's just got a glimpse at the end of the world and she has a daughter she's committed to protect. She's going to race after the Order to lend her support and give them the intel she now has, lending a sense of urgency to the race to the next gate.

Nilehus
2014-02-18, 09:11 PM
Based on this last strip, Hel is a strong contender.

Edit: Oh, wait, no. Joining the crew? Never mind. My money is on Lien rejoining the group in the Northern lands, hopelessly lost because her and O-Chul don't have ranks in Tracking.

Zordrath
2014-02-18, 09:27 PM
Actually, after that strip I'm leaning more towards Bandana. She could have been anywhere, belowdecks or at the helm, but she was present for Roy's last speech of the book instead. It's rather flimsy evidence of course, but I get the feeling she wouldn't have been there if she didn't have a part to play in the future.

Nilehus
2014-02-18, 09:30 PM
True. She also has gotten more characterization than most one-offs. Granted, it's not much, but still.

daryen
2014-02-18, 09:36 PM
Notice the wording of his answer. The way it is phrased implies there are more than one, not just a single one. Also, it seems obvious to me that Bandana is the one that is already there. But it isn't going to be just her.

EDIT: Well, after the last strip, I guess you can toss Hel into the list of candidates ...

mikeejimbo
2014-02-19, 05:49 PM
Has Bloodfeast's gender been established?:smallbiggrin:

Ghost Nappa
2014-02-19, 06:14 PM
Julia Greenhilt
Hilgya
Celia
Bandana
Hel, Goddess of Unhonorable Dwarven Deaths
Lien
Vaarsuvius?
Amun Zora
Laurin
Sabine

Also, you know. Haley.

Exactly how are we defining "weak" female characters? The Giant doesn't really write a lot of "weak" characters (unless you mean like - strength in a fight or something).